Airbus A319 British Airways Centenary Scheme - ++FINISHED++

My apologies for being late on parade chaps, I have been wrapping up a build for the Century Fighters GB (finished yesterday).

My first entry for the GB is this Revell Airbus A319 which will be finished in British Airways centenary markings when sporting BEA's Red Square retro scheme. Here are the box and contents photos along with the 26Decals sheet.

52487343725_6d1b65ce30_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52487423963_da147822cb_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52487424018_8138888242_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52487343540_cc524f6def_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52487424153_52edb549ec_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Time to get on with it now.

Cheers.

John

• Like 8

18 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Nice, this was on the ramp at Newcastle on the Heathrow run two weeks ago when I flew in. (I think there’s only one A319 in this scheme?)

Chris

It probably was this aircraft Chris. I am pretty sure BA did a single Airbus in the Red Square scheme and a 747 in BOAC Speedbird scheme.

John

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome to the build sir, I do like the classic BEA red square schemes. If I had an airline its almost my exact colorscheme. 

Me too Dennis. I enjoyed seeing BEA's colours during days spent spotting at Ringway in the late 60's/early 70's.

John

I made a start on the fuselage today, blanking off the windows on the inside with some strips of plastic sheet and masking off the outside ready for some filler.

52488963045_6aef9b6de7_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5

A bit more progress made during the week, the windows have been filled with Perfect Plastic Putty. which took a couple of sessions to sort, and once it had dried, I sanded back then removed the tape before I polished those areas up. A quick tickle with a scriber sorted out the panel lines and that finished the job. Assembling the wings was the next task followed by a test fit to check the wing/fuselage join, there are a couple of small gaps but overall it looked OK. The edges of the fuselage halve join are quite thin and as a result leaves little gluing area, I might need to add some plastic strips to stregthen that join a little.

52497583273_9da84dab36_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52496543187_7b1f901fb2_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers for now.

John

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Col. said:

You certainly look to have a smooth finish on all the joins and those windows John. Nice work.

Thanks Col,. I've decided to check the door decals too, I have had cases in the past where they haven't matched the kit outlines so I may need to fill those as well.

John

• 1 month later...

With a week to go I decided that I had better get my finger out and make some progress on this build. I thought that things were fine with the fuselage and everything looked nice and smooth, but that was before I had put a coat of grey primer on earlier in the week. As you can see things around the filled windows are not as smooth as they appeared to be with them standing slightly proud. But a light sand of one side would seem to have sorted things out - there is still some work to do at the front of that side before I tackle t'other side.

52615074615_6482530018_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52614134887_905f419ef3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

After priming the wings I gave the undersides a couple of coats of red, next for these is to mask off the red before I add the grey.

52614644831_e0bf12a11c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

John.

• Like 9

I masked off the red area of the wing underside yesterday and managed to get out between showers this afternoon to spray some grey over them. The upper surface now has to be masked so that I cano paint up the darker grey area.

url%5D

52619950450_32c82b439d_c.jpg

52619517506_840e039548_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Cheers for now.

John

• Like 4

7 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Cheers @Col., I hope to get some white/grey on the fuselage tomorrow, then I need to find a close match for RAL7004 used on the upper surface of the wing.

John

Hi John, Halfords do RAL7005 ("Industry Grey") - I bought it once in error instead of Racking Grey.  From memory it's a darker shade so might be OK for the coroguard.

Mike

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Hi John, Halfords do RAL7005 ("Industry Grey") - I bought it once in error instead of Racking Grey.  From memory it's a darker shade so might be OK for the coroguard.

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike. A quick check on the internet for RAL7005 gives me Mouse Grey which is the Aquacolour given by Revell for painting the Corogard area in their BA boxing of the A319. I think that the Halfords colour will be close enough for me, I'll see if I can find a can in my local store.

Cheers.

John

• Like 1

For comparison John:

20230111_105312

Both light greys are Racking Grey (though they have come out a slightly different shade).  The top (757) wing has coroguard from 26Decals and the lower one is sprayed with Industry Grey.  I've also used various FS greys in the past for coroguard but can't find a note of which ones looked best :sorry:

Mike

• Like 4

2 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

I've also used various FS greys in the past for coroguard but can't find a note of which ones looked best :sorry:

There is no need to apologise Mike, and thanks for taking the time to post a comparison photo, it is a very helpful starting point. Halfords Industry Grey is a tad darker, but it doesn't look too far off your 757 decal to give me any major worries so I think that will be my go to if all else fails.

John

I masked off the wings yesterday in preparation for the darker grey area and also taped up the lower fuselage and primed the upper section in white. Once the primer was dry I brushed some black on top of the fin.

52623428224_8d0004e89f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52622660542_1ea44350b5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Today I masked of the fin tip and sprayed some gloss white on the fuselage top section, once that had dried it was time for one of my favourite parts of modelling - the unmasking.

52623427919_744e833c63_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52623609060_8312220662_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

52623427994_5ab02043d5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Back with more soon.

John

• Like 7

The basic white over grey scheme has an almost military appearance about it John but that'll change soon enough. Nice work getting such good coverage of the white.

• Like 1

Sharp masking there John.

This livery is on my "to do" list for this year but the 757 for this GB is my first priority this month and then there are another three BA 319 / 320 and a 772 on the workbench at the final details or decalling stage.

Mike

• Like 1

On 12/01/2023 at 19:42, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Good looking coverage with the white. 

Thanks Dennis. I am pleased with the way that the white has turned out. I think that warming the rattle can by standing it in some warm water for around 5 mins or so before shaking it helps.

John

On 12/01/2023 at 20:52, Col. said:

The basic white over grey scheme has an almost military appearance about it John but that'll change soon enough. Nice work getting such good coverage of the white.

Cheers Col. the Grey/White makes me want to build a VC10 in RAF Transport Command markings.

John

On 13/01/2023 at 06:51, FortyEighter said:

Sharp masking there John.

This livery is on my "to do" list for this year but the 757 for this GB is my first priority this month and then there are another three BA 319 / 320 and a 772 on the workbench at the final details or decalling stage.

Mike

Thanks very much Mike, there is just a very tiny area of bleed around the cockpit window on the port side, fotunately that will be covered by the black decal. Sounds like you have a busy modelling spell coming up, I have Revell's A320 in Edelweiss markings which I started a couple of years ago. I think that whilst the civvy bug is still fresh, now would be a good time to drag it out again and get it finished. 

John

• Like 2

After playing around with several greys for the wing protective coating the choice came down to two, either Xtracrylix Neutral Grey or their Ocean Grey, in the end I went with Neutral Grey and brushed on three thin coats. It might not be a perfect match and should probably be slightly darker, but it is close enough for me. I also made a paper copy of the decals and cut out the emergency exit markings to make a couple of masks, this was done to give a uniform area of colour under the decal later.

52626144986_939ffe1b80_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Once I had unmasked the wing I noticed that I had missed a couple of lines not applicable to the A319 that I should have filled, out came the Perfect Plastic Putty and these have now been filled, I will touch rhe paint up later after cleaning things up.

52626145026_104a0dc465_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

John

• Like 4

8 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Once I had unmasked the wing I noticed that I had missed a couple of lines not applicable to the A319 that I should have filled

Hi John, if you want to be more accurate, the L shaped line on the trailing edge of the inboard flap should be filled (top and bottom) and all the small fairings under the trailing edge should be removed as well (not the big ones!) These were only present on the A321.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Hi John, if you want to be more accurate, the L shaped line on the trailing edge of the inboard flap should be filled (top and bottom) and all the small fairings under the trailing edge should be removed as well (not the big ones!) These were only present on the A321.

Thanks for your useful reminder Dave, I have filled the inboard flap area and removed the small fairings. Funnily enough, I checked a previous A319 that I built a few years ago and I had made all of those changes on that build, heaven knows why I missed them this time. :shrug:

Thanks again.

John

• Like 1