Republic F-105 Thunderchiefs

Sierra Tango

I have had several slides in my collection for many years that I either purchased from slide auctions, military/airline memorabilia shows, or were received in trades from other photo enthusiasts in which the photographer is not identified on the slide. Some of the ones here I have had for nearly 30 years and don't know who shot the image. If anyone here recognizes who the photographer may be please let me know so that I can properly document it. 

F-105D 61-0073 assigned to the Kansas ANG at the time it was photographed. Date, location, photographer unknown. From my personal collection.

spacer.png

F-105D 61-0167 assigned to Air Force Systems Command when photographed. Date unknown as well as the location but the background makes me think this is Hill AFB. Photo credit is USAF.

spacer.png

F-105F 63-8365 of the 419th TFW in April of 1982. Photographer unknown, location unknown although the background reminds me of Wright-Patterson AFB. From my personal collection.

spacer.png

F-105G 62-4427 of the 35th TFW in February of 1980. Location unknown but I suspect it's either Nellis AFB or George AFB. Photographer unknown. From my personal collection.

spacer.png

F-105G 62-4446 also from the 35th TFW photographed in 1980. Photographer unknown, location unknow but I think it might be George AFB. From my personal collection.

spacer.png

F-105G 63-8307 of the 35th TFW photographed in November of 1975. Photographer unknown, location unknown. From my personal collection.

spacer.png

I hope you enjoy these images.

Steve

• Like 23

On 11/8/2022 at 6:31 PM, Sierra Tango said:

I agree that there seems to be so few color shots of F-105s in bare metal. Attached is one, F-105D 60-0459 that was assigned so AFSC at the time of the shot. Photo credit is USAF. Note the aluminum painted Thud to the left.

spacer.png

Steve

Sheeesh. Somedays I don't know my left from my right. I intended to say "Note the aluminum painted Thud to the left of the bare metal Thunderchief. "

Steve

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Slater said:

USAF lost around half the F-105 inventory in Vietnam, so it was definitely used quite heavily.

Interesting fact. Can you suggest a book that covers this aspect of the aircraft's history?

Cheers,

Bill

32 minutes ago, Shalako said:

Interesting fact. Can you suggest a book that covers this aspect of the aircraft's history?

Cheers,

Bill

I don't have any specific book in mind, although any concise history of the F-105 should cover this to some extent. Maybe one of our members could suggest a suitable book?

On 11/8/2022 at 2:34 PM, Sierra Tango said:

F-105G 62-4427 of the 35th TFW in February of 1980. Location unknown but I suspect it's either Nellis AFB or George AFB. Photographer unknown. From my personal collection.

I was stationed at George and 427 was the airplane I was the assigned crew chief on. The location is definitely George as indicated by the F-4Gs in the background.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 2:34 PM, Sierra Tango said:

F-105G 63-8307 of the 35th TFW photographed in November of 1975. Photographer unknown, location unknown. From my personal collection.

Also at George. But this was before my time there and the parking arrangement was different.

19 hours ago, Slater said:

The following document is full of dry statistics, but it may be worth a look:

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADC016682.pdf

Cheers mate. When I started our hobby four decades ago - at least at the beginning - I had the habit to buy a book or books to learn as much as I could about the model aircraft I was building, and from time to time this habit "re-emerges." I will have a look at the suggested link!!

Cheers,

Bill

22 hours ago, Shalako said:

Out of quite a few F-105 titles on my shelves I would recommend a couple of very well illustrated Schiffer titles that cover the history of the aircraft including SEA service in depth from two different standpoints  , vendor links given to illustrate book covers but obviously these are not the only source  -

The Republic F-105 Thunderchief Wing and Squadron Histories , by James Geer , 350 pages on F-105 units published 2002   -  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Republic-F-105-Thunderchief-Squadron-Histories/dp/0764316680

Roll Call Thud - A Photographic Record Of The Republic F-105 Thunderchief , by John M. Campbell & Michael Hill , , 180 pages on individual airframes by serial and disposal with most illustrated published 1996 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ROLL-CALL-THUD-Photographic-Thunderchief/dp/0764300628/ref=sr_1_1?crid=23HCXZ9961GRW&keywords=Roll+Call+Thud+

Rather lower down the cost scale Key Publications have two titles on the subject in their smaller format heavily illustrated Historic Military Aircraft Series both by Theo Van Geffen and Gerald Arruda -  Republic F-105 Thunderchief Peacetime Operations published 2021 - https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Republic-F-105-Thunderchief-Paperback/p/21674 and  Republic F-105 Thunderchief Operations In South East Asia listed for future relerase -  https://www.casematepublishers.com/subject-categories/aviation/modern-aviation/f-105.html#.Y26goXbP3Gg

1 hour ago, Des said:

Out of quite a few F-105 titles on my shelves I would recommend a couple of very well illustrated Schiffer titles that cover the history of the aircraft including SEA service in depth from two different standpoints 

Looks like lad that you have made part of my Christmas list!!!! Cheers for the suggestions & links.

Cheers,

Bill

It really depends what you want. The Squadron Histories tome is epic and worth every penny. However, I was less than impressed by the Roll Call book. For a technical book the Dennis R Jenkins book is superb. I have all of these and many more :)

Martin

On 10/11/2022 at 21:03, Slater said:

I don't have any specific book in mind, although any concise history of the F-105 should cover this to some extent. Maybe one of our members could suggest a suitable book?

If you want a pilot history on the early F-105 missions in Vietnam then I enjoyed this one by Vic Vizcarra.  

https://www.waterstones.com/book/thud-pilot/victor-vizcarra/9781781556450

I will refrain from spoiling the chapter on how the author improved the accuracy of the in flight refueling process.  It was quite notorious and features on a few decal sheets.  certainly a model for the, ahem :blush:  top shelf

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

I will refrain from spoiling the chapter on how the author improved the accuracy of the in flight refueling process.  It was quite notorious and features on a few decal sheets.  certainly a model for the, ahem :blush:  top shelf

Meeeooowwww…😉

Cheers

Jeff

• Haha 1