Baby, let me follow you down - Special Hobby 1/72 Harvard Mk.II/IIA/IIB - Finished

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice job Alistair on the upper wing roundels and looking forward to the big reveal  with hhe rest of them.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I must admit I've been apprehensive doing this and having to wait for the bits to dry thoroughly before going on to the next stage isn't helping.

57 minutes ago, Hook said:

Spiffy!

Thanks very much.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I must admit I've been apprehensive doing this and having to wait for the bits to dry thoroughly before going on to the next stage isn't helpin

That`s one of those things Alistair, patience is a virtual at times.

Still they do look good sir.

Simon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

That`s one of those things Alistair, patience is a virtual at times.

Still they do look good sir.

Simon.

Aye patience not my best quality.

Having to learn though. :D

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Aye patience not my best quality.

Having to learn though. :D

Cheers,

Alistair

In this scale using masks is very unforgiving because I imagine touch ups would be very difficult, so patience certainly is a virtue so that the dreaded paint lift or other nasty things like bleed are less likely to happen! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, galgos said:

In this scale using masks is very unforgiving because I imagine touch ups would be very difficult, so patience certainly is a virtue so that the dreaded paint lift or other nasty things like bleed are less likely to happen! 

I'm having to take my time and learn to be a little patient.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, galgos said:

What paint are you using here Ali? I’m a great fan of MRP which dries incredibly quickly but I still leave my masks overnight. 

I'm using ColourCoats with their own thinners, which while enamels I'm used to them being maskable in a fairly short time depending on the colour used.

Obviously the difference between masking tape and Oramask means leaving it until completely dry.

If that's what it takes then so be it as the roundels look so much better when painted.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

Alistair,

Coming along nicely - I also had some lifted paint on the Beaufort. I believe it's known as an occupational hazard (or is it impatience)? 🤣 Lovely work whatever,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 3

What is this “lifted paint” you all speak of?  My paint doesn’t lift and I mask on it after 10-15min… 🤷‍♂️

The roundels look good Alistair, welcome to the painted-on club!.  Interesting you went inside to out, I’ve always gone outside to in as it makes alignment of the masking easier (for me, at least).  You also did a great job of controlling the white base, I’ve always had paint creep when I’ve tried that so I don’t risk it anymore.

You certainly didn’t need to be nervous, you’re pro already!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mark.au said:

I’ve always gone outside to in as it makes alignment of the masking easier (for me, at least).

Likewise, a tip I picked up from Cookenbacher. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

Coming along nicely - I also had some lifted paint on the Beaufort. I believe it's known as an occupational hazard (or is it impatience)? 🤣 Lovely work whatever,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

Definitely impatience. ;)

4 hours ago, mark.au said:

What is this “lifted paint” you all speak of?  My paint doesn’t lift and I mask on it after 10-15min… 🤷‍♂️

The roundels look good Alistair, welcome to the painted-on club!.  Interesting you went inside to out, I’ve always gone outside to in as it makes alignment of the masking easier (for me, at least).  You also did a great job of controlling the white base, I’ve always had paint creep when I’ve tried that so I don’t risk it anymore.

You certainly didn’t need to be nervous, you’re pro already!

Thanks Mark, too kind.

I'll give that a try the next time.

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Likewise, a tip I picked up from Cookenbacher. 

Thanks for the advice.

Will give it a go the next time.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Any chance of a tutorial? For those of us who are neophytes 😄

Mark,

You could do much worse than look at @mark.au's excellent recent RAAF Spitfire Mk.VIII build, which is most instructional on the use of masks. Apologies to Alistair for the thread creep. Here's the build:

Cheers,

Roger

Edited by Dunny
Link added
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The blue was sprayed and the masking came off.

13QzqhA.jpg

dhL3OYd.jpg

YzieW4Z.jpg

Far from perfect but I'm chuffed with that as a first attempt especially in 1/72

I also did a little work on the prop, some dry brushing with Nato Black, a nuln oil wash and a little sponge chipping.

kTPFq0C.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 13

Just now, bigbadbadge said:

Nice work on the prop Alistair and yhe markings look fantastic fella. Great work. 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

The making are a bit wibbly in places but I've figured out what was causing the paint lift.

I'd put a coat of future on to seal the edges and it's that that is lifting.

One of the underside roundels nearly lifted the entire blue ring when I was unmasking.

I managed to catch it and touch up.

Next time I'll use aqua gloss.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

I decided to make a start on the underwing serials.

JpBrw49.jpg

Bno7Kdo.jpg

I didn't take a photo of the unmasking but Oh Dear Bod it was awful but I think it was my spraying as it obviously hadn't got right into the edges.

I've managed to strip the paint off without any damage and will try again tomorrow or may go for plan b and just use the kit decals.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 8

Keep at it Alistair,  your doing great and it is all a  bit of a learning curve.   Is it worth trying it without the klear over ghe edges and just spent a minute or two burnishing the mask/tape down along the edges with a cocktail stick?  

Great work 

Chris

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bigbadbadge said:

Keep at it Alistair,  your doing great and it is all a  bit of a learning curve.   Is it worth trying it without the klear over ghe edges and just spent a minute or two burnishing the mask/tape down along the edges with a cocktail stick?  

Great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I had burnished the edges down but I'm going to try without the clear, extra burnishing and a couple of misty coats to fill things up then a solid colour.

Let's see what happens.

If it's still ropey then I've got the kit decals.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

Well done with the roundels Ali, they look very good to me. I too have experienced problems with the large underwing serials, it’s very easy to flood the mask with paint and this can lead to all sorts of difficulties. My tactic now is to spray several light layers, gradually building the paint up. Worked well on my Gauntlet:

fGz9Xb.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1