Baby, let me follow you down - Special Hobby 1/72 Harvard Mk.II/IIA/IIB - Finished

11 hours ago, Dunny said:

Tish and pish. You could try a Coastal Command scheme (EDSG over white). I was very close...

10 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Now that's an idea.

I'm off to do some research.

Cheers,

Alistair

:confused: :confused: :confused:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

My research will of course be looking at pics on google images to see if I can find something.

I quite fancy the EDSG over white scheme and am going to try and find a Mk1 that uses it but I've had no luck so far.

However I also like the Dark Earth/ Middle Stone/ Azure Blue combo but again not sure if it's accurate or even slightly whiffy.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

Not seen Mk.I Blenheims in the later CC scheme - earlier one yes.  (Fighters.)  The early desert Blenheim Is predated the standard Desert colours but did replace the Dark Green with a lighter colour, probably Light Earth.  There is a far bit about this in earlier postings - good hunting.

I initially read this as being for the Harvard and the Mk.I threw me.  For later Harvards TSS over Yellow is possible and DE/MS is definite.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Not seen Mk.I Blenheims in the later CC scheme - earlier one yes.  (Fighters.)  The early desert Blenheim Is predated the standard Desert colours but did replace the Dark Green with a lighter colour, probably Light Earth.  There is a far bit about this in earlier postings - good hunting.

I initially read this as being for the Harvard and the Mk.I threw me.  For later Harvards TSS over Yellow is possible and DE/MS is definite.

Sorry, there has been a bit of thread drift instigated by yours truly. :blush:

Normal service will be resumed shortly.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice work Alistair. Good on you for having the patience to build up that yellow in stages. I haven't yet mastered the art of avoiding the 'paint psychosis' when I see more paint still in the cup. Wonderland were at Telford; they had a good selection of everything, it must be a great dangerous shop to visit.

Other suggestions on the beau, how about a TSS over azure, or indeed light/dark med blue over azure for a change of scene?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Andy,

I've learned the hard way but to get the slight hint of the brown under the yellow it's the only way to do it,

2 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

Other suggestions on the beau, how about a TSS over azure, or indeed light/dark med blue over azure for a change of scene?

Yup, both of those sound really nice too.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ngantek said:

Nice work Alistair. Good on you for having the patience to build up that yellow in stages. I haven't yet mastered the art of avoiding the 'paint psychosis' when I see more paint still in the cup. 

I too struggle with this malady, I'm glad to know it has a name and I don't suffer alone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ngantek said:

when I see more paint still in the cup.

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

I too struggle with this malady

That's the beauty of ColourCoats of course you can put the excess paint back in the pot, but as young Procopius uses them it may not be a sufficient cure for "Paint Psychosis" 

It may be the Aberdonian in me that appreciates the saving that overcomes the problem.:whistle:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

nice nice! How long d'you usually give the colourcoats before masking?

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

I too struggle with this malady, I'm glad to know it has a name and I don't suffer alone.

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

That's the beauty of ColourCoats of course you can put the excess paint back in the pot, but as young Procopius uses them it may not be a sufficient cure for "Paint Psychosis" 

It may be the Aberdonian in me that appreciates the saving that overcomes the problem.:whistle:

Cheers,

Alistair

Yeah owing to an incident involving a blocked nozzle from spilled dry paint flakes, I've taken to being a good boy and mixing in a cup beforehand. I still have silent cry when I have to wipe out the mixing pot of all the paint that, physics be damned, sticks to the pot wall instead of pouring into the airbrush cup. 

The irony is I've probably wasted much more paint in having to make up second and third batches because I thought I could get away with 8 drops rather than 12.

Andy

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

nice nice! How long d'you usually give the colourcoats before masking?

Yeah owing to an incident involving a blocked nozzle from spilled dry paint flakes, I've taken to being a good boy and mixing in a cup beforehand. I still have silent cry when I have to wipe out the mixing pot of all the paint that, physics be damned, sticks to the pot wall instead of pouring into the airbrush cup. 

The irony is I've probably wasted much more paint in having to make up second and third batches because I thought I could get away with 8 drops rather than 12.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

It depends on the colour.

The Yellow can take about an hour.

Darker colours like Night Bomber Black, EDSG you can see drying before your eyes and can be maskable in about 5 minutes

Jamie has various videos on the Sovereign Hobbies site which show you how to get the best from the paint.

I usually mix in small pyrex beakers and use a pipette to put the paint in the cup and also back into the tin.

The waste is minimal after that.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Night Shift again so not much to update.

Some masking done and Off-White sprayed for the fuselage code.

GmHDgBE.jpg

pP6CvSB.jpg

Then I played about with the software for a bit.

UajVkHO.jpg

When the white was dry ..... this.

6eMiviC.jpg

L8RvvGI.jpg

In other news the PRU Spit is still stuck in Peterborough and has been for 2 days. Harrumph!

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 13

3 hours ago, mark.au said:

Looks good, Alistair.  The masks look solid, too.  You’ll save a tonne of masking sheet if you group the masks closer together at the top.

Thanks Mark,

They are a bit higgledy-piggledy. My excuse is I'm still getting used to it and will be more tidy in future. :whistle:

This arrived this morning.

KdXt1Yu.jpg

So, Team Leader, when do we start? :D

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 11

23 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Well, she definitely looks yellow now Alistair.

And quite nice too.

I also remember having the Tamiya Matilda tank back in the 70`s, first Tamiya I ever got.

Stay safe.

Simon.

Thanks Simon,

I was hoping to get more done but life, stuff and things.

20 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Ooooooo a pressie, can't wait to see that one build up, got the new Airfix Mk.IX today, very nice kit.

Chris

Looking forward to that one.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 4:05 PM, Ngantek said:

. I still have silent cry when I have to wipe out the mixing pot of all the paint that, physics be damned, sticks to the pot wall instead of pouring into the airbrush cup. 

Andy

On 11/16/2022 at 12:39 PM, Procopius said:

I had no idea BM could be so therapeutic... I thought I was the only one wishing for a micro spatula to clean the excess off the sides of the paint cup!

Alistair, the yellow looks fabulous!  I'm also a bit jealous of your perfect number stencils -- my Texan had the numbers made by hand with tape and doesn't bear close scrutiny.  Can't wait for the Beaufort and the Blenheim.  I have the same Beaufort kit and I have an earlier boxing of the Blenheim with the free French scheme. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking very nice Alistair! Those stencils are just the ticket, and the yellow couldn't look better. Lovely work,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, opus999 said:

I had no idea BM could be so therapeutic... I thought I was the only one wishing for a micro spatula to clean the excess off the sides of the paint cup!

Alistair, the yellow looks fabulous!  I'm also a bit jealous of your perfect number stencils -- my Texan had the numbers made by hand with tape and doesn't bear close scrutiny.  Can't wait for the Beaufort and the Blenheim.  I have the same Beaufort kit and I have an earlier boxing of the Blenheim with the free French scheme. 

Now there's an idea. That would be a Godsend.

Thanks very much.

The number stencils look ok so far.

I'm pleased with the way the cutter has handled them.

Just the Beaufort I'm afraid the Blenheim is part of my Nephews Christmas but I am tempted. :wicked:

15 hours ago, mark.au said:

@Winded Penguin has already begun!  My PR Spit is next up one I’ve finished the Mk.VIII

Right, I'll need to get moving then.

Let's see what I can get up to today.

14 hours ago, Dunny said:

Looking very nice Alistair! Those stencils are just the ticket, and the yellow couldn't look better. Lovely work,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks so much Roger.

That is extremely kind of you.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3