Baby, let me follow you down - Special Hobby 1/72 Harvard Mk.II/IIA/IIB - Finished

I only had time for a minor update today.

The wing walks were masked and done leaving a few minor touch ups required.

h9szfdV.jpg

The touch ups were done off camera which will allow me to get a clear coat and the remaining decals on tomorrow.

I should manage to get the undercarriage and aileron actuators done as well which will leave the exhaust and the pitot to do.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 11

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Until I get overconfident and it all rises up and bites back. :D

The circle of life as regards modelling, at least in my experience. The moment I think I know what I'm doing...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Procopius said:

The circle of life as regards modelling, at least in my experience. The moment I think I know what I'm doing...

Absolutely.

The moment the fear goes it will go horribly wrong.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AliGauld said:

The moment the fear goes it will go horribly wrong.

Ah yes, the moment where you hear your inner Clarkson going "I mean... how hard could it be?". 

Cheers,

Andre

• Haha 2

Looking very fine Ali, you’re really making a great job of your Harvard and learning lots along the way! Depending on how finicky you want to be, those little circles either side of the walkways are petrol filler caps painted red….a little blob of red paint will do in 1/72 scale….1/32 is less forgiving! 

obbtrw.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, galgos said:

Looking very fine Ali, you’re really making a great job of your Harvard and learning lots along the way! Depending on how finicky you want to be, those little circles either side of the walkways are petrol filler caps painted red….a little blob of red paint will do in 1/72 scale….1/32 is less forgiving! 

obbtrw.jpg

Thanks very much.

Both for the kind comment and for the info.

I'll get the red out.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

A clear coat in prep for the remaining decals.

xTQxHuo.jpg

Followed by said decals.

W5tOv70.jpg

cYuf8oU.jpg

d2nGYdg.jpg

heAdtqR.jpg

BPz24DY.jpg

Once they are settled I'll need to paint a little white on the tail plane, some red to join up the fin flash and then a clear coat and some weathering.

Oh and I nearly forgot the prop decals.

rZyLXAK.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

Looking lovely and crisp - great job on the markings!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

They are very far from perfect but do obey the 1ft. rule.

Relaxing with a mug of mulled wine now and feeling slightly Festive.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 4

While the second clear coat is cooking on the fuselage I thought I'd get on with the sundry bits and bobs.

The first thing I did was to go for the wheels and found this.

36gOuuh.jpg

Well, those will need to be sorted. Out with the Mr. Surfacer.

HHF34Hf.jpg

In the meantime I got the other underside bits started.

nen7nMo.jpg

ng3Bndx.jpg

And the exhaust got it's initial black coat which will be dry brushed with silver followed by two different rust  colours and a Nuln Oil wash.

15eACx1.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 13

Alistair,

Shame about those wheels, but easily fixed! Hope the mulled wine was kind to you,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

Shame about those wheels, but easily fixed! Hope the mulled wine was kind to you,

Cheers,

Roger

Yes, it was. So much so that I'm cuddling another one tonight.:whistle:

As you say the wheels are an easy fix but who puts ejection ports there.:facepalm:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mark.au said:

Catching up here Alistair, and a nice catch up it is.  The little Harvard is shaping up magnificently.  

Thanks Mark,

She's looking not too shabby at the moment.

Washes and oils today and we'll see how that goes.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

The undercarriage doors got some interior green.

h3DsOeA.jpg

The exhaust got various dry brushes and a wash.

fMhRZEV.jpg

zXQYu3R.jpg

After a Flory wash and some oil dot work it was glued to the fuselage.

cThOONZ.jpg

T08apfW.jpg

SCZOz3N.jpg

sJ2HEMN.jpg

There appear to be a couple of bits of stray white on the port tail fin which will be fixed in a wee while.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 9

Alistair, this looks fantastic!  I think the T-6 looks pretty smashing in the british camo scheme.  Those painted on roundels look great too.  the more time goes by, the more I want to paint as many markings as possible instead of using decals, but when it comes to roundels, the only ones I've been able to do are Japanese hinamaru.  Probably because I don't have a fancy cutter.   ;)

I love those exhausts!  What did you dry brush them with?  Making realistic exhausts is a skill that eludes me at the moment...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, opus999 said:

Alistair, this looks fantastic!  I think the T-6 looks pretty smashing in the british camo scheme.  Those painted on roundels look great too.  the more time goes by, the more I want to paint as many markings as possible instead of using decals, but when it comes to roundels, the only ones I've been able to do are Japanese hinamaru.  Probably because I don't have a fancy cutter.   ;)

I love those exhausts!  What did you dry brush them with?  Making realistic exhausts is a skill that eludes me at the moment...

Thanks very much,

Having a fancy cutter does make a difference as I could never get a circle cutter to work for me.

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks absolutely fantastic Alistair,  great work,  the exhaust too has some cracking effects.  Looking forward to seeing the greenhouse unmasked.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I'm a little apprehensive about the greenhouse as the mask set from Special hobby was not good. The cuts on it didn't go all the way round.

I may have to resort to the hairy stick and toothpicks. We'll see.

2 hours ago, Ngantek said:

It's looking great Alistair. Those exhausts are particularly good. Fantastic work

Andy

Thanks Andy, most kind.

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

+1 for what @opus999 and @bigbadbadge said! And I'm interested to know how you achieved that exhaust weathering, it's brilliant.

Cheers,

Mark 

Thanks Mark,

The exhausts. Can't take any credit for this as I found a quick way to do these on t'internet.

I base the exhausts in black, then give them a heavy dry brush with any silver type metallic colour.

This is followed up by dry brushes with Panzer aces Dark Rust, Light Rust and Yellowish Rust. Lighter dry brushes on each occasion.

Then an overall wash with Citadel Nuln Oil.

All in all this takes about ten minutes once the base black is dry.

Finally if I think it needs it some Tamiya Weathering Master Soot in the places where there might be a soot build up.

Credit goes to Jon Bius for all of this I just nicked it. :D

His page link with pics is here.

https://www.jonbius.com/2018/10/16/painting-exhausts-a-quick-and-easy-method/

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2