Minerva Armoured Car - 1/35 Copper State Models

The race to the finish line. Unlikely to get my diorama and figures complete but the Minerva has a good chance of sneaking into the gallery.

I have been working on part preparation and all is ready for some serious assembly. Firstly though, completed and fitted the exhaust manifold and pipe.

Minerva WIP 23

Nice detail from CSM.

Minerva WIP 24

Still a little too clean underneath. I'll add a little more dirt and soot at the end. 

A mob of pre-painted parts ready to be used. 

Minerva WIP 25

I have worked out my strategy for the tri-colour camouflage. I'll weather and finish the inside of the tub walls then assemble the major components ready for masking. That will be tomorrow evening's job.

Also, prepared the wheels and started spraying the spokes and rims. Will mask the centres  and spray the lighter grey tyres tomorrow and then some initial weathering. 🤔 Looks like I'm building a locomotive.

Minerva WIP 26

Not a very exciting post, but good that things are now happening.

Ray

• Like 6

21 hours ago, edjbartos said:

I hope you get to finish it in time...

Thanks Ed, It will be close but, even if it goes over a couple of days, I can see it will be finished.

19 hours ago, Trevor L said:

I love the tones and textures of the underside

Thanks Trevor, trying to replicate the underside of trucks my brother and I use to crawl over as kids.

A little more progress this evening. Wheels are ready for weathering. I used Tamiya Deck Tan over a black undercoat and really happy with how they turned out. Photo does make them appear a little more yellowish. There is a nice variation between the grey rims and light grey tyres not captured in this image. Once I get them off the blue cutting mat, the colour may appear a little more natural.

Minerva WIP 27

Also in the process of closing up the tub and thought a couple of inside shots may be of interest before I do so. Darn a sink mark. I might live with that one.  Then again ....

Minerva WIP 28

Minerva WIP 29

You would think a back rest for the driver would of made it a little easier to depress the foot pedals.

I'll finish this and onto the camouflage.

Ray

• Like 8

No doubt the reason why you see this kit usually built in its plain grey scheme is that the tri-colour camo does appear a little daunting. Tight edges, small patches of colour, each lined with black, complicated surfaces and all to be accommodated on a small subject. It is probably a good one to brush paint but I felt like I was up for the challenge, my preference being to spray the three colours and then hand paint the black dividing lines.

Minerva WIP 34

I considered various masking techniques and then decided to apply a de-tacked kabuki mask, draw the pattern, remove and cut the pieces with a scalpel and then assemble the jigsaw puzzle. Here is the result:

Minerva WIP 32

I'll then remove and spray each group of colours in turn. Trying to keep some understanding of the replacement order. 🤪 Crazy? I think so. Will it work? Quite possibly. 

Just to add a little more fun, I used another coat of hairspray on the running boards and storage boxes so I can wear through the camo colours to the grey and wood. Never masked over hairspray so I will be interested to see how it performs. I'll mask these just before I am ready to spray.

Minerva WIP 33

Colour tomorrow - how exciting. Now the ultimate colour conundrum. What colour for a WW1 Minerva in tri-colour scheme? Did some research - various viewpoints, the usual discussion on pigments, thinning, field application, standards, no standards, in service wear even read about Bulgarian railway colours and decided to cut through all my personal confusion and just match something with the opposition. The IWM has this German helmet sample  I also saw a colour image from a private collection that was surprisingly similar so thought good enough for me. Belgium copied Germany or vice versa.

Minerva WIP 30

Made some mixes using Tamiya paint. Actual paint colour mixed, as usual, does not look right in this image. Yellow is more mustard. Brown more faded, Green less olive.

Minerva WIP 35

In natural light - still not quite right but closer to what I see. They should turn out nicely faded though the weathering process.

Minerva WIP 31

Mixes used? Sorry, no science. Just took the first colour and kept adding drops of the second till I was satisfied. 

Green: Deep Green XF-26 + Deck Tan XF-55

Brown: Flat Brown XF-10 + Flat Yellow XF-3

Yellow: Dark Yellow XF-60 + Flat Yellow XF-3 

So tomorrow I'll load up the air brush and we will see what happens.

Ray 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Trevor L said:

that colour scheme would certainly put me off!

Good when it is done though. I took this image in diffuse natural light and finally captured the colours as my eyes see them. Popped the hood into position. It is removable to show off the engine. Now to paint a thin black line dividing all the colours.

Minerva WIP 37

I weathered the wheels while giving a little time between each of the camo colours. 

Minerva WIP 38

Ray

• Like 7

1 hour ago, edjbartos said:

That looks excellent Ray, very good indeed, will look even better when you put on the black line, well done...

Ed

Thanks Ed. I thought I would put it aside for the evening and then, having had a break, got drawn back to it. Black Vallejo Model Color and a long bristle No.1 Kolinsky Sable and it was done. It was not as onerous as I expected and, yes, looks much better now.

Minerva WIP 39

Some detail painting to come and then assembly and weathering.

Sadly, it will not make the gallery as there is still too much to do. However, I will persevere here in the GB and expect that this week I should be able to at least post it as a RFI.

Ray

• Like 10

@Stef N. @Geo1966 @AdrianMF Thanks for the kind remarks. I'll keep posting here until complete. I have a busy start to the working week so will be away from the bench for a little while and will post more towards the end of the week. Hopefully you can stay tuned.

Ray

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was able to spend a little more time on this kit. I am very impressed by modern kits and what can be achieved with plastic these days. CSM have done a wonderful job with this. I'll have to build more. Everything goes together beautifully and with such fidelity. The fit is so tight that any micro-flash at connection points needs to be removed. Do so and you are rewarded with a kit that is a joy to build.

The running boards/guards could be added at the very end although I want to largely complete the weathering without having to touch any oil rendering and pigment applied. So all main components are now in place. The top of the tub provides a nice flat surface when you flip it over to work on the underside without the Hotchkiss MG and mount in place.

Minerva WIP 40

Minerva WIP 41

I have started to do some macro wear and chipping. I used the sponge technique to reveal the original grey and also wear on the wooden side panniers. Even though I did apply hairspray for this effect, I found the sponge better.

Minerva WIP 42

Just the start of this process and lots more to come. 

Minerva WIP 43

Ray

• Like 4

Wheels on and the weathering process continues.

Minerva WIP 46

Still more details to fit, but I can see the finish line. I need to scratch-build a few items - the carbide lamp acetylene generation tank that sits on the front left side pannier (as shown below) and some Hotchkiss MG ammo boxes (any 1/35 aftermarket?).

Minerva WIP 48

No where to hide with close up photography but it is real good at picking out things to improve.

Minerva WIP 45

It is getting there.

Minerva WIP 47

Lovely model and a lot of fun.

Minerva WIP 44

Next post should be complete.

Ray

• Like 4