Minerva Armoured Car - 1/35 Copper State Models

My entry in this GB will be a selection from CSM's wonderful array of 1/35 Great War armoured cars - The Belgium Minerva. I simply bought this kit because it was staring back at me from a shelf at the LHS saying "buy me!" "buy me!". A quick look at the box contents and I thought, interesting, this might be fun. 

Minerva WIP 3

Frankly, this kit is superb. Highly detailed, exceptional fit (from the reviews) and a wonderful and very detailed instruction booklet. A nice reference on the Minerva in its own right.

Minerva WIP 5

The difficulty I have is choosing a subject. CSM provide eight subjects. I really like the typical plain grey that weathers up so nicely and yet there is a colourful tri-colour scheme. Oh, so tempting:

Minerva WIP 6

Not to mention a captured Minerva with Maxim machine gun mounted.

Minerva WIP 7

One advantage of the early plain greys is the narrow bonnet that shows off the detailed engine.

Minerva WIP 8

You need to make the decision early as CSM capture the subtle build differences.

I still have a little time to decide. CSM has some nice 1/35 resin figures to complement this kit. They may make the decision for me.  Here is a box of plastic ready to go. 

Minerva WIP 4

Ray

• Like 25

On 11/9/2022 at 5:41 AM, Marklo said:

I’d be torn between the three colour and the Captured build.

Yes, tough decision. I am leaning towards the tri-colour scheme only because there are a few builds already of the grey scheme. Should be a nice challenge.

I expect to make a start very soon.

Best regards,

Ray

• Like 1

Decision made - three colour scheme it is. This is definitely a kit to attack in sub-sections. I have been studying the plans and believe this can be done. I think that armored tub, guards and other camo features can be painted separately. Should make life a little easier with the complex scheme. Then assemble. Also, breaking down the other components in logical assemblies. And so it starts ...

Minerva WIP 9

Ray

• Like 19

• 2 weeks later...

Only one build on the bench now. This one. So, today, I found some time to play around with that lovely engine. The thought I had while putting it together was "Oh for the day when IC engines just had the essentials". Interestingly, this engine was a little more complex being a USA Knight 4-cylinder sleeve valve engine. Renowned for its quite running. 

Overall I was very happy with the result. It does look suitably rustic. I was pleased with the radiator front until the photo caught the light to show brush strokes. After that I thought I'll polish that top front face back a little and redo it. In fact you can't see it behind the front armour plate. Only the radiator core being visible. Might leave it as is.

Minerva WIP 12

Minerva WIP 13

Paints are Citadel Metallics and Vallejo with suitable enamel washes carefully applied. Ignition leads are 0.2 mm lead wire.

Other bits and pieces underway. Undercoat, and what will be the final colour on some of these pieces, is Black Mr Color Finishing Surfacer 1500 thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner.

Minerva WIP 11

Ray

• Like 17

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks. 

4 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I think the brush strokes add a lot of interest.

I agree, One way of adding your own character to a build. Be it that close-up photography is your harshest critic.

I tried to get more done today to provide some worthwhile images but time was against me. Sadly not much to show for some hours work including detail painting and assembly, hairspray chipping and weathering and parts preparation including spraying the components for the armour tub. All ready for assembly. Hopefully get a chance to glue a few more bits early in the week.  Failing that it will be a couple of months before the next installment. I am planning to finish though before the gallery deadline. A couple of images for the time being. Very much still WIP.

Minerva WIP 14

Minerva WIP 15

Ray

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

I agree, One way of adding your own character to a build. Be it that close-up photography is your harshest critic.

I saw it as brass with a wipe over of that waxy greasy preservative. I've seen exactly that effect many times.

• Like 1

Just caught up again on this one. I really like the work that you have done on this, the engine looks fantastic, never tried Citadel Metallics, so must get some and see. The rest of the assembly is really coming along great, the whole model is slowly coming to life. Looking forward to seeing what you do next...

all the best

Ed

• Like 1

That's looking fantastic already Ray - the detailing you have in your engine and in you paint work etc is amazing 👍

Can't wait to see your progress with this one.  If your Meteor is anything to go by then I just know this will be superb when it's finished :thumbsup:

Kris

9 hours ago, edjbartos said:

never tried Citadel Metallics, so must get some and see

Hi Ed,

Wonderful for brush painting and tough when dry. Hard to remove. Good self-levelling and this is why I was surprised with the brush strokes. I usually do not thin, just keep the brush (Kolinsky sable) moistened with water. The colour selection I used were:

Minerva WIP 16

Ironbreaker - my go to silver for metal details.

Stormhost Silver - when you need something a little more shiny.

Gehenna's Gold - I like it for shiny brass with some richness and depth. 

Runelord Brass - An excellent bronze.

I do not spray the Citadel, or Vallejo Model Color for that matter, both of which I love for hand painting.

9 hours ago, planecrazee said:

Can't wait to see your progress with this one. 

Hi Kris,

As mentioned, this build will enter a bit of a hiatus with travel and getting some things done around the house. I'll be back into it mid-January to try and wrap it up before the GB ends. Although, hopefully, sneak in a couple of hours today or tomorrow to paint up the exhaust manifold and pipe and finish the drive-train before the break.

Ray

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I may well brush paint my project

Hi Bertie,

I love my airbrushes and lacquers and try to use them wherever possible. I do some crazy small masking. However, for details and special effects you can't beat a brush particularly in the small scales. And, it is so much darn fun to launch into it with just a good quality brush and some water. Muck it up and soak the part in some ethanol, strip it back and go again.

Ray

• Like 1

Just now, Ray_W said:

Hi Bertie,

I love my airbrushes and lacquers and try to use them wherever possible. I do some crazy small masking. However, for details and special effects you can't beat a brush particularly in the small scales. And, it is so much darn fun to launch into it with just a good quality brush and some water. Muck it up and soak the part in some ethanol, strip it back and go again.

Ray

Indeed so. Do you use Citadel and Vallejo as a result of figure modelling experience, particularly Warhammer?

2 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Do you use Citadel and Vallejo as a result of figure modelling experience, particularly Warhammer?

Very perceptive, but not Warhammer, military figure painting with acrylics. So the answer is yes. This was where I came to appreciate the qualities of the Citadel and Vallejo products. In fact, my first entry to Citadel was the old Mithril Silver for use on my usual aircraft builds. I do not think it is available anymore. 

I also have a couple of the Copper State Belgium armoured car figures (later war khaki) for a small diorama for this build.

Ray

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I am now back at the modelling bench after a two month break due to other commitments and about to recommence work on this delightful little Minerva.

I received a couple of CSM figures to add to the planned setting.

Minerva WIP 17

Minerva WIP 18

Very nicely detailed.

Minerva WIP 19

I think I will be tested to finish on time. Not to worry. I'll keep plodding along and posting. 

Ray

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

The hardest part I find with picking up a half-built kit, one that has not been touched for some months, is getting my brain around where I was at and what was I planning to do next. 🤔 

Minerva WIP 20

For example, what colour grey did I use? I know I liked it. Oh, so many shades of grey. I went through all my greys and thought some testing would be necessary. Then the penny dropped. Quick comparison with another recent, and as yet to be completed build, and the question was answered - USAF cockpit grey FS36231. 

Minerva WIP 22

Reality is that most of the grey is covered with the tri-colours or dirty, but, I have now stuck it into the thread for posterity.

What have I chosen to get back into the feel of this build .......... the wheels.

Minerva WIP 21

Less than a week to go. Let's get into it.

Ray

• Like 4