Tamiya 1/35 Tiger 1 Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger I Ausführung E (Sd.Kfz.181) Frühe Produktion

ProfSparks

Hi All

My first 1/35 Tiger!

DSCF2027.jpg

The parts are quite chunky, with some flat etch thrown in

DSCF2028.jpg

A nice touch is that the road wheels are numbered

DSCF2030.jpg

I'm presuming, as the ejector pin marks are on the same face, they won't be seen, and looking at other builds not much can be seen inside the tracks.

Plenty of wheels

DSCF2031.jpg

But at least they're big enough to hold while doing the minimal cleanup

DSCF2032.jpg

The very first step is to assemble the drive sprocket depending on the version you are going to make.

DSCF2029.jpg

After some surfing through tiger1.info (https://tiger1.info/models/products-page/TAM35216 I decided on

DSCF2034.jpg

Not many pics of S45 out there, so I'll build it how Tamiya has it, mostly the "late" options.

Unless, of course, you know different...

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

• Like 11

On 11/9/2022 at 3:20 PM, ProfSparks said:

Hi glibble, yay! How far along are you, which one are you doing?

I'm just about to start decals and some detail painting:

yrhCPyy.jpg

I'm doing the S33 tank in Kursk - the least accurate option according to tiger1.info😏

But I just want a strictly OOB tiger, so I don't spend 3 months researching ancient photos.

By the way, just a small tip:

OlGsluh.jpg

The crank (A37) for the jack might interfere with the air pre-cleaner that you'll add above it in the next step. So please make sure the crank is pushed all the way down into the socket of the jack.

I found out the hard way, and had to sand off a bit of the crank.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi All

Looking good there @glibble, camo spot on 👍

Thanks for the jack tip, how was your upper deck fit?

I got the suspension arms on

DSCF2035.jpg

There's a locating dimple to set them all at neutral, but that can be removed and the suspension articulated if wanted.

I started from the front with the clacis, but with everything snug and square I still got a small gap round the rear plate

DSCF2057.jpg

Not unusual for me, but not something I was expecting.

Anyhoo, as I'm prone to knocking off little sticky-out details (and sometimes big details too), I figured I could add the front machine gun at a later stage by poking it in through the turret ring after painting, it just needed a handle, so half a cocktail stick was UV resin'd to it.

DSCF2059.jpg

Cheers

Steve

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Exhausts and top plates assembled. Those five little legs sometimes felt like they needed five little hands to get them straight, but as the cement dried they fell into shape.

DSCF2060.jpg

They'll be quite shrouded from view anyway

DSCF2061.jpg

And so onto the intake side of things, the air pre-cleaner pipework.

There's a length of woven tubing that has to be cut to length, but as it's prone to fraying at the ends, I put a couple of drops of UV resin at where the cuts would be.

Once soaked in, and after a couple of seconds purple light, it was easy enough to snip through.

DSCF2066.jpg

Another bead of UV treatment on the cut surfaces meant they slipped onto their connections without coming apart

DSCF2067.jpg

I removed the locating lugs from the rear plate as the filters were sitting just above their locating bosses

DSCF2068.jpg

And that's basically the body and associated bits ready for paint

DSCF2069.jpg

Onto the turret next :hobbyhorse:

Cheers

Steve

• Like 15

• 3 weeks later...

The fabric texture on the air filters adds extra authenticity to a neat model. A final drybrushing will bring out the texture more. The UV resin was a clever hack! I suppose it could be used in other applications involving the edges of fabrics, such as truck tilt covers, tarps, and clothing on figures. Other modellers, please take note. 👩‍🎓

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi All

The turret fell together with little fuss, perhaps a smear of PPP round the top plate

DSCF2070.jpg

There are quite a few wheels as they're three deep on the axle, but some can be paired up before painting

DSCF2071.jpg

I found that a short length of cotton bud shaft on a cocktail stick fitted exactly into the centre hole!

I cut the side skirts into their separate pannels

DSCF2072.jpg

And off to the paint box.

After a coat of Vallejo VA71.025 it looked slightly too greeny-yellow (almost Middlestone-ish), so I went over it again with thinned Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow

DSCF2073.jpg

It's better, perhaps slightly dark, so another round of something like XF-93 Light Brown (DAK 1942), possibly lightened with a flesh tone. I'll see how I get on.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Seasonal Greetings All

On 12/16/2022 at 2:51 PM, Longbow said:

Here is S34 in bits, from the same unit.

That's quite an evocative pic, an explosion enough to pop the turret.

On 12/16/2022 at 12:42 PM, LeeM said:

What make UV resin are you using, as mixed reviews on Amazon. 

Hi Lee, I'm using standard black resin from Elegoo

DSCF2077.jpg

DSCF2076.jpg

I don't shake the bottle, don't wear gloves or a mask, and my room sits at about 15 Celsius, but I have decanted some into a Tamiya jar and covered it in black tape.

DSCF2079.jpg

The setting light is a UV 301A torch

DSCF2078.jpg

It was advocated for ejector pin marks over on the Aircraft forum, but I've used it for lots of duties, from filling gaps and securing rigging, to attaching small parts to cocktail sticks for painting.

Anyhoo, some progress of sorts.

A late night session in The Lab, and on a whim I applied some water based Flory Rust over a selection of Tamiya, Mig and Humbrol enamel based Rust washes while they were still wet, just to see how the interaction of water over oil went

DSCF2074.jpg

Hmm, might have to do a bit more experimentation, but as these will be mostly covered I'll let them be.

I've eventually got round to doing the body camo.

I followed the kit sheet numbers, and used Tamiya XF-61 Dark Green and XF-64 Red Brown.

Had some issues with my thinning ratio and technique, so this might end up heavily muddied...

DSCF2075.jpg

(You might notice that I've placed the parts with the disasters hidden)

Not the end of the world yet!

Cheers

Steve

• Like 8

Looking good so far. Personaly i don't have much experience with mixing oils and water. My go-to method for exhausts is just acrylic paints and a piece of sponge. 

Spray them in a dark grey. Then use the sponge to stipple white and then stipple with various rust tones. Finish of with enamel light rust streaks from AK. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

A small update, some tools and whatnots done with MiG Gun Metal and MiG Dark Brown Wash

DSCF2084.jpg

DSCF2085.jpg

DSCF2087.jpg

DSCF2088.jpg

DSCF2086.jpg

I've the main hull to work over with the wash, then the tracks will receive some attention, then put it all together.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 14

Hi All

Some small assembly

The rear was populated, taking note of the jack handle / air filter clearance

DSCF2090.jpg

You can see the major splodge on the RHS exhaust cover :wall:

However, the rest of the pipework goes in snug

DSCF2091.jpg

DSCF2092.jpg

And that's all that can be seen of the exhausts themselves.

I'll try some smoke powder in there to take the edge off.

Other cables and tools in position

DSCF2093.jpg

DSCF2094.jpg

DSCF2095.jpg

DSCF2096.jpg

I've got the first line of wheels on to see how much will be seen of the lower bodywork. It's not a lot, but enough to ponder the addition of sand / soil / mud in there.

Think I'll put off that decision for a little while.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 10

Well Steve, for your first Tiger (one more than me I might add!) You're doing a cracking job! Paint and detailing is 👌

Keith 😁

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

While pondering the mud, I diverted myself with a couple of figures to ride along

DSCF2097.jpg

DSCF2098.jpg

DSCF2099.jpg

They're Frankensteins from Tamiya sets, and are mostly there to give a sense of scale.

They got some Vallejo Game Extra Opaque 72.140 Heavy Skintone

DSCF2101.jpg

Some skincare in the way of Maskol

DSCF2102.jpg

And a uniform coating of Tamiya XF-65 Field Grey for their uniforms

DSCF2103.jpg

To reveal

DSCF2104.jpg

A couple of touch ups and we should be good to go.

Also, while I was distracted, I started finishing off a couple of smaller projects to a) practice mud on, and b) stop them taunting me from the cupboard

DSCF2114.jpg

They're the 1/76 Matchbox / Revell M40 G.M.C and Sherman Firefly, and the 1/48 Hobby Boss U.S M4A3 (76)W Tank. The Matchbox I can recommend, the Hobby Boss not so much.

Anyhoo, the passengers have been completed and I'm just waiting on the Firefly to mud to dry to see how it's turned out.

DSCF2115.jpg

DSCF2117.jpg

DSCF2118.jpg

DSCF2119.jpg

DSCF2120.jpg

DSCF2121.jpg

Just as well you can't se much of their faces...

Cheers

Steve

• Like 10

Well Steve. That´s a truly one for the books. Amazing Tiger. The early version is second to none. Nice bonus with the added Panzer Grenadiers lurking behind the turret. Keep up the good work. 🙌

• Thanks 1