Barry Sheene Suzuki RG500 1978 - Italeri 1/9

This was a pretty obvious choice when I saw it on ebay, I had a poster of pretty much the same bike on my wall as a callow youth.

Built from the box, I am reasonably pleased with the way it turned out, I just had a little bit of trouble with some of the decals cracking up.

Edited by Ian A
Picture problems

Really lovely job! 

I built Mr.Sheene's bike complete with him on board waaay back in the dark ages for the missus - I seem to remember it was in an Airfix box at the time? Only bike I've ever built and I very much doubt it looked anywhere near as good as yours!

Keith

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Really lovely job! 

I built Mr.Sheene's bike complete with him on board waaay back in the dark ages for the missus - I seem to remember it was in an Airfix box at the time? Only bike I've ever built and I very much doubt it looked anywhere near as good as yours!

Keith

Possibly the Matchbox (later Revell) one? Red on white instead of red on black? I know that one came with a rider and I am pretty sure I built it as a kid because I remember the decals, but I don't remember the actual finished model, weirdly.

I wanted to get another one but the Matchbox ones are way too expensive as anything other than an investment now,  so I went for the same Italeri one that the OP has built.

P.S. It looks fantastic, Ian A. Beautiful build and I only hope I can get anything close to that finish on mine.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Really lovely job! 

That would have been this Matchbox kit, a kit that I built in the mid 1980s - breaking the front forks countless times.

The other that I built was Kenny Rogers Yamaha YZR-500.  More busted forks - and something I've never tried again.

Great model Ian! 

• Thanks 1

Fantastic Bike! Very well done. Barry was an acquaintance of myself and our youngest son. I was on Silverstone Circuit Airfield duty as a volunteer marshal in the day. He would regularly visit us in the middle of the circuit at our Airfield Tower. He was always trying to avoid the press. His stepson Roma would appear at around 8am each day of the 500 GP on an Italian Scooter with Suzuki stickers and Barry's number seven, pick up our son who would be away all day until about 5 pm. Barry's biggest problem as he mentioned a number of times that he didn't speak Japanese and the mechanics/engineers didn't speak English! Many years later (I think 2003) my wife and I visited Australia to see whether we were able financially to retire there (we weren't), on a inner waterways cruise one day the boatman, who wore a Kawasaki Baseball cap mentioned the two houses side by side where Barry and his ex-wife then Stephanie lived. She had stayed to help him with his illness prior to his passing away in January that year! 

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

I am building this model now  and have to say how disappointed I am with regard to the accuracy of the kit  both in parts, decals and colours used for some parts, The kit also suffers badly from moulding lines on just about every bit of plastic. I am using  these  images as my reference point for colours and decals  it is the actual bike ridden by Barry Sheen  in the epic battle he had with Kenny Roberts in 1979 at Silverstone.  https://www.philaphoto.com/imageLibrary/thumbnails.php?album=1525