New Airfix Hawker Hurricane? Hurricane Unsung Hero in Airfix Event at Duxford - January 2023

TEXANTOMCAT

13 hours ago, sniperUK said:

The one he is working on has a lot of domed rivets but it's not 1/24th scale. 

That would  imply a 1/48 Puma, a gap surely in the  Airfix British military helicopter  fleet. No need to go to NI to scan one of those even if one is in the  collection. The B24 might qualify in 1/72 as well. 

I  can't see a Hurricane  myself other than a metal wing 1/72 or a later  model.

As for 1/24th scale. I'd  think  American or German.  An upgraded FW190 or wishful thinking: F4U Corsair.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, noelh said:

That would  imply a 1/48 Puma, a gap surely in the  Airfix British military helicopter  fleet. No need to go to NI to scan one of those even if one is in the  collection. The B24 might qualify in 1/72 as well. 

I  can't see a Hurricane  myself other than a metal wing 1/72 or a later  model.

As for 1/24th scale. I'd  think  American or German.  An upgraded FW190 or wishful thinking: F4U Corsair.

Corsair is not wishful thinking.  Airfix already have a head start with the Hellcat.  Same propeller, same wheels, same armaments, same basic engine.

As for German, surely an Me262,

• Like 2

On 11/7/2022 at 11:59 AM, TheKinksFan said:

I actually do believe that it could mean a new 1/24 Hurricane. For me even 1/48 is big, but a Hurricane as detailed as the Spitfire Mk IXc, that would be tempting.

That figures, I'm right in the middle of building the old Airfix 1/24 Hurricane.......I'd be in for another especially new tool!

Edited by Corky
  • Like 1

Two things……

Revell announced a 1/32 Hurri last year (all gone quiet there)

Domed rivets in 1/48? Maybe a Whirlwind/Wessex/Sea King/ CH-47?

Definitely not a Balliol

Trevor

19 hours ago, Denford said:

same basic engine

And therein lies the problem. Yes, the Hellcat and the F4U Corsair used PW R-2800 Double Wasps but the versions they used were different enough in their installations into their respective airframes that Airfix would effectively be starting over.

13 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Revell announced a 1/32 Hurri last year (all gone quiet there)

Delayed until early 2023

• Sad 1

You 'pulled me up' on this last time, hence 'basic' engine!  That said I can't believe that some parts aren't the same.  Even so, there is still commonality of the other parts I mentioned.

My belief if that if the Hellcat sold well, the Corsair is a 'natural' follow on

On 08/11/2022 at 11:21, RussellE said:

weeeell.... That all depends on how much enthusiasm and effort a kit manufacturer puts into it. If Airfix are getting good ROI's on their 1/24 spit presales this may encourage them to go ahead with other new 1/24 kits sooner than planned...

FWIW, back in the day, Airfix released most of their 1/24 kits within a fairly short time frame:

1970 - Spitfire Mk1

1973 - Hurricane

1973 - Bf109

1974 - Harrier

1975 - Stuka

As you can see these are all grouped fairly close together and then all went quiet for decades after, until the more recent tools came along with much longer breaks between:

2010 - Mosquito

2014 - Typhoon

2019 - Hellcat

2022 - Spitfire MkIX

Looking at the gap between the Hellcat and the Spitfire, it seems those release dates are tightening up again...

And if a new tool 1/24 Hurricane came along, it might just stop me switching to Kotare's 1/32 range... Well, depending on what they announce at Telford... 🤫

You forgot the FW 190 and Little Nellie /Wallis autogyro (the first of the 124th flyers !)

1 hour ago, Neil Lambess said:

You forgot the FW 190 and Little Nellie /Wallis autogyro (the first of the 124th flyers !)

Duly noted: the 1/24 fw190 came along in 1980... 😁 

Only days away from ending all this speculation now 🤠

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DonH said:

A large number of domed rivets suggests an early Spitfire to me. Just saying...

Large number of domed rivets? Obviously going to be a scale up of their 1964 1/72 F4-U Corsair 🤣

• Haha 4

I’m really enjoying the 1/24 Typhoon I’m building right now.

a new Hurricane to the same standard (especially a Desert IIc) would be fabulous.

I also think a 1/24 Tomahawk would be fab.

1 hour ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Thinking obliquely - would they cite the Sea Fury as the ultimate Hawker propeller driven aeroplane and do a Sea Fury in 1/24? Would that be popular enough? I don't know how well the 1/48 sold?

TT

Anything with folding wings in 1/24 is a winner!  

Imagine:

Seafire XV

Seafire 47

Corsair

Martlet

Hellcat

Sea Fury

all in FAA schemes, in a glass display cabinet. Wings folded, cowlings open.

As an aside the Mk.IX Spitfire does lend itself to allowing the after market guys a lot of Griffon based possibilities.

Seafire XV, Spitfire XII / XIV.

On 11/11/2022 at 3:58 PM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Thinking obliquely - would they cite the Sea Fury as the ultimate Hawker propeller driven aeroplane and do a Sea Fury in 1/24? Would that be popular enough? I don't know how well the 1/48 sold?

TT

More likely to scale down to 1/72

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/11/2022 at 14:46, Denford said:

More likely to scale down to 1/72

Now that Armory models or Dora Wings - or DBMK - have announced a 1/32 Sea Fury, I wonder if Airfix would bother with one in 1/24th?

To be honest I'd be disappointed to see a 24 scale kit next year. We had the Spitfire this year at the flagship model. 24 scale is a niche, not one I'm interested in unless someone does gliders in the scale (unlikely), so I think another niche should get the spotlight in 2023. When was the last big ww2 bomber in 1/72 released? Or medium bomber in 1/48 (not my thing but a good model) edit anson probably covers this niche even though its not a bomber, fantastic kit as well

Perhaps a new 1/72 or 1/48 hurricane is coming. 

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...