1/350 Admiral Graf Spee with a bit extra - Treatise on Treaties - Preface

Hi All, 

So yes I know you may or may not be thinking "he's got two carriers on the go what is he doing starting something else!". Well truth be told is because of a recent purchase I made which builds into a grand (well I think its grand) plan. More on the purchase below and you can see it in the photo's.

Some time ago @ArnoldAmbrose made a suggestion on my 1/350 Dunkerque build that I could do one of each of the treaty battleships as a collection. Im not sure how serious it was but Jeff - the idea took hold well and truly! So I've been gathering kits and extras as a result, still much to get but enough now to make a start. The one frustration is no available injection kit of Nelson or Rodney in 1/350 but we can hope. I think when we think of naval arms races we often think of WW1 but it was well and truly underway before WW2 as well, just not in the numbers as twenty five years before. The plan is that this thread will be the first in the series that I'm hoping to do over the next few.....um .....years. So far i've got hold of the following in the stash;

Admiral Graf Spee

Strasbourg (having built Dunkerque0

Littorio

Scharnhorst 1940

Richelieu

Prince of Wales

To add

North Carolina and Alabama/Massachusetts (although i have some detail bits for them). 

In some ways Nelson and Rodney sit outside of this as they were outside of this build up towards the second world war, existing almost in isolation. Im pretty sure this lot will take quite some time as I juggle life and hobby, not to mention the other things i have to build as well! I wanted to make a start though. I picked up Strasbourg for a steal the other day (£40) and want to build her desperately as i love the French ships but the first in the line of treaty battleships was Admiral Graf Spee (AGS). 

Not that she was a battleship at all of course, the word pocket always added to any introduction of her and her class was later reclassified as heavy cruisers. 

I've been doing little bits and pieces on the kit over the past 12 months or so, pulling it out when I wanted to stick bits of plastic together/first try colourcoats paints by brush. This is the Academy version, and imho it's not great, its not terrible but its a real mixed bag. I chose it over the trumpeter as I thought it had better lines but its certainly not great in terms of engineering. It has some parts that are nicely detailed, others that are bland and it  doesn't go together seamlessly shall we say!

A few photo's of where I'm at and what I have to use:

y4mtuU2JuCv7R2Z9MtT7g9iZaK1YKNhfkpgOwoQz

Whilst watching the very disappointing rugby yesterday I began drilling out scuttles, id previously started then changed my mind, filled and then changed my mind again hence the filler smear at the bow. 

Seams - seams everywhere!

y4mrEjwC9HtmOtoHdt20ddYEsdvpO0sDGlDS64uD

y4mvVbEjFgWoDTnVwa0qqhQrcq8pm6xiWlQjGyH8

Luckily the detail sets will correct lots of the very soft detail. Im surprised really each time i think about this one. Academys Warspite is great, clean and crisp moulding - AGS by comparison is just a bit messy. 

Sets from Eduard, MK.1 and Master barrels for her;

y4m9ssywUBcRJINDyNIdR-YmYIFqu2Xldy7iUmCy

I still need a deck for her - the plastic one is alright but has a noticeable join so I'll try a wooden one, and her AA guns are woeful so need replacing!

So that's where I'm at. My carriers will continue to be the main focus whilst I get them over the line but my hobby evenings are normally Tues, Thurs and a bit on the weekend and AGS will take one of those slots. 

Thanks for stopping in, 

S-boat

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 13

Gidday, it seems I'm going to have a bit to answer for. 🙂 You're certainly a beggar for punishment. I have trouble concentrating on one build, but three simultaneously! And with all the detail you add to yours. I take my hat off.       Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Faraway said:

And people moan at me for building too fast....:doh:
I used this deck for mine.

https://www.bnamodelworld.com/model-ships-boats-deck-sets-artwox-aw10049

Jon

Well I start a lot but finishing is taking longer,.....

Thanks for the link, I need to order the pontos set for Prince of Wales so need to put an order in there anyway

Daft question, has yours stayed stuck down? the first ship I built coming back to the hobby was my dreadnought, I used an artwox deck for that but it kept lifting so I painted in the end, I'm wondering if that was more down to user error than anything 

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

has yours stayed stuck down?

Not had any lift yet.
Just had a look, and they are all still stuck down.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I always wash ALL flat surfaces, deck and hull before I start building.

Jon

• Thanks 1

• S-boat 55 changed the title to 1/350 Admiral Graf Spee with a bit extra - Treatise on Treaties - Preface
  • 1 month later...
On 07/11/2022 at 14:44, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, it seems I'm going to have a bit to answer for. 🙂 You're certainly a beggar for punishment. I have trouble concentrating on one build, but three simultaneously! And with all the detail you add to yours. I take my hat off.       Regards, Jeff.

I agree with Jeff. I can´t focus on more than two builds at the most. It´s a busy shipyard, but the boats are developing fast. Looking forward to see the next step on your Pocket battleship. 👍

• Like 1

That looks like Academy's Graf Spee. I've used their deck for my Graf..

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/wga60dx2ivb4mst7ntik.html

And as far as AA and other small bits, I can not recommend enough

https://blackcatmodels.eu/en/133-kriegsmarine

If you'd like to go all the way....

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/zuel2cyod0qdk41atkrv.html

And definitely...

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/8mwbflcvichpye32cwok.html

All the best with your build.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zoran Srb said:

That looks like Academy's Graf Spee. I've used their deck for my Graf..

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/wga60dx2ivb4mst7ntik.html

And as far as AA and other small bits, I can not recommend enough

https://blackcatmodels.eu/en/133-kriegsmarine

If you'd like to go all the way....

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/zuel2cyod0qdk41atkrv.html

And definitely...

https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/8mwbflcvichpye32cwok.html

All the best with your build.

Your read my mind or great minds think alike, I've just had a delivery of Veryfires AA gun upgrades and Artwoxs deck, the MK1 set has etch for the boats so I'm hoping that'll lift them to a good enough level, my Taiho build is moving along quite well so I've been keeping that up, I expect Grad Spee will start moving more when I get Taiho near done and pick up Graf Zeppelin again, 

• Like 1

Hi there, nice to see several projects on the go at once! Ref your question about wooden decks lifting, I'm no expert as I have only used one but I have found adhesives in general tend to stick to smooth surfaces better than rough, I sanded mine lightly and primed and sanded lightly again before sealing it with varnish because i figured the texture of the plastic might reduce the area the deck could stick to as well, if that makes sense? Even matt varnish is smoother than matt colour so I think the contact area is better, anyway it didn't lift! And how do you get at least two hobby nights a week :o 😃

• Like 1

On 07/11/2022 at 18:06, S-boat 55 said:

Daft question, has yours stayed stuck down? the first ship I built coming back to the hobby was my dreadnought, I used an artwox deck for that but it kept lifting so I painted in the end, I'm wondering if that was more down to user error than anything 

It never happen to me, but... At first I apply white glue in the middle (length wise), since it gives you a bit extra time to align it, and at the edges, and various small openings on deck for hatches, vents, reels, I do add a small drop of CA.

BTW did you seal your deck with varnish?? Since it is real wood, it is bound to react to humidity....

• 1 month later...

Hi All, 

I needed a break from the carriers and so pulled out Graf Spee for an evening or two, did a bit of work on one turret, bit more to add to it yet, this is certainly not a kit you can get away with using the kit barrels on, 

y4mREJD3bUSZVahcRbrp_c0HWbFdLofqA9rVXMvq

y4mKz5kBG9wl0-q5yP4Ggo2u_FTLaYhN2yFiEwPk

Then decided id do the bit that i have not enjoyed on either Taiho or Graz Zeppelin and put on the ropes, rails or what ever they are around the funnel, it at least gets it out of the way. I didnt realise until I had put the cap on that there was one fr the upper section as well (and one spare). Never mind, I did open up the top of the funnel cap as well as it was just blanked off otherwise, 

y4m1LHsggruodGLa05NzL8ItZEH3tGyZMj3UZ79I

And lastly, I now have all of the Ships in this long term project so lined them up for a photo, here they are in 'date' order, Admiral Graf Spee, Dunkerque, Strasbourg, Scharnhorst, Littorio, Richelieu, Prince of Wales, North Carolina, Massachusetts.  I put Dunkerque in as it means I'm theoretically 11% complete already lol, and she does sit in the scheme overall really anyway)

y4moEW1yQkwB_qVP3IVplNE6L2PBs1gfgihXCnvy

Think I've a wee bit to be getting on with, 

Sam

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

Think I've a wee bit to be getting on with, 

Gidday Sam, only nine? I'm sure you could fit in a couple more on the bench, particularly as Dunkerque looks nearly done. The IJN is sadly under-represented  here, so  .   .   .

Seriously, that's quite an impressive collection. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Sam, only nine? I'm sure you could fit in a couple more on the bench, particularly as Dunkerque looks nearly done. The IJN is sadly under-represented  here, so  .   .   .

Seriously, that's quite an impressive collection. Regards, Jeff.

Jeff don't say these things! You know how susceptible I am lol, I was reading that arguably the Iowa class are the final treaty ships as they were designed around the final escalator clause that was triggered pre war and only later grew in size, but I think I'm happy with my 9 for now, 

I do have a plan for some IJN ships after Taiho which will be under a thread called dolled up dreadnoughts but that's a dream at the mo until my carriers and these are done, oh and Hood and Repulse and Bismarck, not to mention Ark Royal and Franklin and.....I think I have a problem! Lol

39 minutes ago, olavhome@online,no said:

The elegance of Scharnhorst already stands out at this stage 🙂

I'm really looking forward to getting to her,

Edited by S-boat 55

.I think I have a problem! Lol

Yeah, I think so too. Mind you, there are worse problems you could have. And I've got more ships in the build queue than I'll ever get done, despite being only a very young 66 years old.

I knew of the treaty escalator clause but I didn't think that the Iowa class resulted because of it. As it turns out the book "Anatomy of the Ship - The Battleship USS Iowa" seems to agree with you in that the displacement limit was increased to 45,000 tons in June 1938 as a result of the Japanese Yamato class. So yeah, they'd be treaty battleships.

dolled up dreadnoughts

That has a nice ring to it - I like it. 👍       Regards, Jeff.

Nice work on Graf Spee so far,well done for taking a break from a big project to work on another one! that's a great line up there, can I ask which Scharnhorst kit you have please, I would like to build one someday, and also could you recommend a book for the Iowa class as I seem to have acquired a WW2 spec USS Missouri from somewhere.....

28 minutes ago, Rich75 said:

could you recommend a book for the Iowa class as I seem to have acquired a WW2 spec USS Missouri from somewhere.....

If I may answer, Sam  - "Anatomy of the Ship - The Battleship USS Iowa" covers the ship during her entire life.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

If I may answer, Sam  - "Anatomy of the Ship - The Battleship USS Iowa" covers the ship during her entire life.

By all means, I think that's a resource that would be top of anyone's list, 

I am now wondering if I'm chickening out by not doing an Iowa class ship, the issue is the North Carolina looks very similar, (it's a lazy excuse given Strasbourg and Richelieu arent exactly dissimilar in appearance), hmmm, I shall have a think on it, I've Veryfires Louisiana in the stash so that would have to go, I do have a few years to make a call on it though as I doubt I'll get all this done for the weekend,

1 hour ago, Rich75 said:

Nice work on Graf Spee so far,well done for taking a break from a big project to work on another one! that's a great line up there, can I ask which Scharnhorst kit you have please, I would like to build one someday, and also could you recommend a book for the Iowa class as I seem to have acquired a WW2 spec USS Missouri from somewhere.....

It'll not be a long break, the paint is congealing as i type so I'll need to get the AA finished and get her painted pretty soon, at that point I can then pause on it at a natural point. 

The Scharnhorst is Dragons kit, no 1062 which is the 1940 guise, although there's some debate on how accurate it is for that year, from looking at the sprues it looks very nicely detailed, I think I saw in one review it stated that the plastic alone is about 1300 peices. I've seen some online comment around a difficultjoin because it's a waterline split but mine nearly holds together without glue, if you'd like any sprue shots let me.know and I can ping them over, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-boat 55 said:

I am now wondering if I'm chickening out by not doing an Iowa class ship, the issue is the North Carolina looks very similar, (it's a lazy excuse given Strasbourg and Richelieu arent exactly dissimilar in appearance), hmmm, I shall have a think on it, I've Veryfires Louisiana in the stash so that would have to go, I do have a few years to make a call on it though as I doubt I'll get all this done for the weekend,

It'll not be a long break, the paint is congealing as i type so I'll need to get the AA finished and get her painted pretty soon, at that point I can then pause on it at a natural point. 

The Scharnhorst is Dragons kit, no 1062 which is the 1940 guise, although there's some debate on how accurate it is for that year, from looking at the sprues it looks very nicely detailed, I think I saw in one review it stated that the plastic alone is about 1300 peices. I've seen some online comment around a difficultjoin because it's a waterline split but mine nearly holds together without glue, if you'd like any sprue shots let me.know and I can ping them over, 

Yes sure that would be great thanks

10 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

Have made Dragons-43 set.

Parts are nice-its their "building instructions" 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

I am now wondering if I'm chickening out by not doing an Iowa class ship, the issue is the North Carolina looks very similar, (it's a lazy excuse given Strasbourg and Richelieu arent exactly dissimilar in appearance), hmmm, I shall have a think on it, I've Veryfires Louisiana in the stash so that would have to go,

Gidday Sam, I think the forward superstructure of the Iowa class was closer to and very similar to that of the South Dakota class rather than North Carolina, and neither had the very long lean looks of the Iowa. And why would Louisiana have to go? It could be an interesting display showing all four, the natural progression of the USN third generation dreadnought (or Treaty battleship).

But as you said, no rush to decide, leave it until next week. 😁

Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 1