Il-2M3 Shturmovik (Tamiya 1:72)

Excellent Tamiya model, which made me a few problems at the start of the build, but luckily, I could remedy the problem. First time using Quinta 3D cockpit decals only to realize, that there is no option of open cockpit. Oh well, at least the canopy has the clearest clear plastic I have ever seen in a model.

il-2M3-2-XL.jpg

il-2M3-4-XL.jpg

il-2M3-6-XL.jpg

il-2M3-8-XL.jpg

il-2M3-11-XL.jpg

il-2M3-21-XL.jpg

• Like 64
  • Thanks 5

A truly great job on the aircraft and diorama.  The plane looks the part on the grassy, rough airfield.  It is worn looking, but not to the extreme.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

That's a great  looking Shturmovik. The base really adds to it. I once  operated off a runway  like that. When it rained it looked like a seaplane  taking off. 

Great  work. 

• Like 1

Superb work! It really looks convincing on that diorama.

I was under the impression that Tamiya kits almost assembled themselves, what problems did the kit give you at the start?

I have one of these lurking in the stash and I'd like to know of any pitfalls that may trip up my fat fingers when I get around to it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 07/11/2022 at 09:56, InFlames said:

Excellent Tamiya model, which made me a few problems at the start of the build, but luckily, I could remedy the problem. First time using Quinta 3D cockpit decals only to realize, that there is no option of open cockpit. Oh well, at least the canopy has the clearest clear plastic I have ever seen in a model.

il-2M3-2-XL.jpg

il-2M3-4-XL.jpg

il-2M3-6-XL.jpg

il-2M3-8-XL.jpg

il-2M3-11-XL.jpg

il-2M3-21-XL.jpg

Well done.

Alain

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone!

On 11/8/2022 at 3:37 AM, Gazontipede said:

Superb work! It really looks convincing on that diorama.

I was under the impression that Tamiya kits almost assembled themselves, what problems did the kit give you at the start?

I have one of these lurking in the stash and I'd like to know of any pitfalls that may trip up my fat fingers when I get around to it!

There was some fiddling with the wing to fuselage join, but what troubled me the most was short shot plastic sprue - worst being back gunners bulkhead and fuel tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, InFlames said:

There was some fiddling with the wing to fuselage join, but what troubled me the most was short shot plastic sprue - worst being back gunners bulkhead and fuel tank.

That seems to be a common issue with Il-2 kits. I suppose it's due to the large size of the wing and fairing. I am a bit surprised about the short shot part; thankfully, my kit didn't have that problem.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

There's always an open cockpit option. It's called a saw! 😂

Nice model nonetheless

Actually, it's a little more complicated than that as I was considering it. But the front sliding part of the canopy is overlaping the mid section and the way, canopy is made, even by cutting (sawing?) it away, I still couldn't slide it back, but would either have to thin both clear parts paper thin and somehow recreate the framing on the mid portion or, what would be the easiest choice, find somewhere  vac replacement... though I wasn't prepared to go that way, at least not this time.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, InFlames said:

Actually, it's a little more complicated than that as I was considering it. But the front sliding part of the canopy is overlaping the mid section and the way, canopy is made, even by cutting (sawing?) it away, I still couldn't slide it back, but would either have to thin both clear parts paper thin and somehow recreate the framing on the mid portion or, what would be the easiest choice, find somewhere  vac replacement... though I wasn't prepared to go that way, at least not this time.

Good points, well made. I apologize for my earlier glib comment. 

• Like 1