1/72 Revell Ju-88 D-1 Trop NMUSAF

JTninja

For my Ju-88 build, I'll be using the recent tooling from Revell's A-4 kit to depict the Romanian D-1 430650, currently on display at the National Museum of the United States Air Force.

PQD87Od.jpg

cJO9nzF.jpg

This will probably be a slow start, as I'll be wrapping up my F-15 and P-38 builds first, but hope to get a decent start when I can. 

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Paint finally arrived from Poland, so I was able to start brushing on RLM66 for the interior. 

aAY38Sb.jpg

DiOSK4B.jpg

Color seems to have a bit more brown in it, compared to the coloration in the museum aircraft. Might have to try to add a drop of green

Z4lFl1w.jpg

• Like 5

Looking again at those instrument dials on the right, I compare them with the strip of tiny blobs Revell delivers in their kits. Definitely not the highlight of that otherwise well done cockpit! Thanks for the reference picture too 🙂

V-P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fuselage is coming together. Great thing about try to replicate the museum Ju-88 is that when they leave things out, I can too! 😁 This JU-88 is missing its MGs, bombardier sights and seat, all the seat belts. Additionally, the bottom camera ports are covered, as is the EZ6 navigation parts on the upper side. 

lDqYmJ0.jpg

CHm6wX2.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've been pretty bad at updating this, but in my defense, the progress has been slow. 

Landing gear bays are painted, and landing gear fitment checked

FwExjET.jpg

Nose glass installed with Eduard masks on. Test fitting the canopy found a small gap to the back, so I used some plastic and trimmed to fit

v0X9wiT.jpg

Last look before its closed up, hope all tiny gaps get filled so no spray gets in.

FKlYfom.jpg

And from tonight, gondola attached, but the nose portion required quite a bit of filler

x07LEXj.jpg

Will spray a tiny amount of primer next, and look for places that need proper filling.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Busy few weeks. Minor filling in a few spots was performed, wings attached, and primed.

zDSc256.jpg

After a return from vacation on Monday, prepped for RLM 66? for the bottom

KNSS7fF.jpg

Once dried, I then applied the yellow accents 

6Jvynob.jpg

Now off to the hobby store for more clear coat.

• Like 4

One thing that the National Museum of the United States Air Force has been doing lately is embracing the technology of drones, usually them to perform flybys of some of their larger aircraft. Luckily for me, they've posted a video on youtube of one such flight over their Ju-88. This has been extremely helpful in trying to replicate the planes camo pattern.

LpjfunZ.png

KrYnW6v.jpg

• Like 2

RLM70 down

Chn3bOe.jpg

With both paints down, it looks like both colors are a bit off, at least compared to the museums aircraft. The brand, Hakata, lays down pretty well, which impressed me. Should only require a few touch ups.

7QoAY1Y.jpg

Hopefully once a matt finish is applied, the RLM 71 will tone down a bit

vTKz0vb.jpg

• Like 3

First build for 2023 is complete! I enjoyed this kit, fitment was decent, detail was quite good, and it had plenty of options/extras that I didn't use. Hataka paints were great to work with, touch ups by brush blended in very well, but not sure how I feel about the coloring on RLM 70/71. Unfortunately for me, I had a few air brush difficulties and it didn't turn out as well as I wanted. Still happy with it though.

dhjaoOS.jpg

AEo8WI1.jpg

qI95JQ0.jpg

brUTlOp.jpg

Edited by JTninja
  • Like 3