Airfix 1/72 P-80 Shooting Star "Saggin Dragon."XXXFinishedXXXXX

Hi folk's with Col's OK due to the one off scheme another build will be the Airfix Classic re-release of the Shooting Star last built by me well I reckon

at least 45 year's ago.

20221106_181849

First job was to fettle those intakes which seems to have worked out well.

20221106_184815

• Like 11

36 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Last built by me well I reckon

at least 45 year's ago.

..me too, IIRC a much smaller box when it first came out? Detailed for the era.  Looking forward to this. 

Chris

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chrisj2003 said:

..me too, IIRC a much smaller box when it first came out? Detailed for the era.  Looking forward to this. 

Chris

Thank's Chris,I used to buy Airfix kits from the Hardware shop where I lived and well remember seeing it on the shelf when it was first released,no magazines or internet back then

so you literally stumbled on new releases!

4 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

,no magazines or internet back then so you literally stumbled on new releases!

Airfix Magazine every month gave their latest releases but the BMW Models ad on the back of Airfix magazine covered most of the gaps.  Flying Review had had a regular model page which included some new releases, but I think that had gone when the F-80 came out.  Scale Models was around for some years before that.  And there was IPMS Mag by this time - although members only.  There were other various other magazines which came and went at different times - I suspect PAM News was around at about this time (or shortly afterwards).

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

no magazines or internet back then

Airfix Magazine, June 1976.  I think the kit came out in 1975 though. 

18755P1010025.JPG

has a two page article on 'Saggin' Dragon' along with the reference photos used. 

It's good issue, with making a Centurion 5 from the Airfix kt,  needs a whole new turret, and scratch building a TSR 2 by Tim Perry..

Of course for a poor school boy the magazine cost as much as the kit, no price in the mag for the F-80, but comparable sized Matchbox and Frog kits are 35p, and the magazine is 30p...

39 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

so you literally stumbled on new releases!

That was always the fun of finding a new model or toyshop,  with new exotic items ....and with cash to spend, bliss...

• Like 5

I'll be watching your progress with interest Steve as there's an original boxing of this kit in my stash ;) 

16 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

18755P1010025.JPG

has a two page article on 'Saggin' Dragon' along with the reference photos used. 

I must try to hunt down a copy of this issue Troy as, even after plenty of attempts online, I've not yet found any photos of Saggin Dragon in service.

16 minutes ago, Col. said:

I'll be watching your progress with interest Steve as there's an original boxing of this kit in my stash ;) 

I must try to hunt down a copy of this issue Troy as, even after plenty of attempts online, I've not yet found any photos of Saggin Dragon in service.

Kingkit had it, where I nabbed the cover, but I can take photos of it if you wish,   you can email me, see profile or IPMS Mid Sussex site for an email address,  or should I put them up here?    What they do show is Airfix are right, and Microscale are wrong...  I have a set of 1/48th decals which have the dragon both sides, and a bright blue stripe.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Nice start Steve :) How's it fitting together thus far?

Hi Col,not bad a little filler  round the intake's but the wing's and tip tanks fit like a dream.

• Thanks 2

On 11/6/2022 at 10:54 PM, Troy Smith said:

I was given mine by Jerry Scutts on September 6th1974, together with the Cherokee Arrow and the Canberra.  Easy to remember as it was the night before my wedding.  Jerry was then working on Aviation News, and involved with the regular model page.

• Like 4

Hi folk's,good progress all down to the excellent kit Airfix gave us back then,I can't say all of the Classic re-releases have set the pulses racing but this one really does deserve it's

re-box.just a little flexi filler in a few places then  a couple of coat's of Rattle can primer and looks good for the Silver to come.

20221113_171724

• Like 10

That looks fantastic so far Steve!  I bought a couple of these in the 90's and built one a couple of years ago.  Great kit.  I was a little frustrated with the intakes, but it seems like all jet intakes stink. :)

I like your metal!  It looks pretty realistic.  Better than mine turned out.

• Like 1

Hi folk's last decals on but big issue cropped up with the front wheel assembly as the wheel/oleo which is a one piece molding was twisted out of shape it looks like it has melted?

Not sure if it's an issue with all the boxings or just mine anyway we'll see what can be done.Found Tamiyas blue a decent match for the stripe..

20221118_151718

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Courageous said:

I'l echo what others have said, looking fantastic. Finish line in sight.

Stuart

Tank's Stuart,looks like the wheel fix has worked couple of more sessions should see her finished!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

big issue cropped up with the front wheel assembly as the wheel/oleo which is a one piece molding was twisted out of shape it looks like it has melted?

Not sure if it's an issue with all the boxings

Sorry to hear about the nose gear. I hope its only a blurb as the plane is great looking. Maybe Airfix or someone did a wheels up version ? I have an older molding of the kit in my stash and am hoping to get another copy of one soon. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1