Decisions, decisions....ICM SdKfz 251 Ausf A

Not a right lot achieved apart from spending a couple of hours fruitlessly looking for a fuel pump and filter that pinged off the bench and taking my little fella to the vets.

However the engine, beautifully detailed and from what I briefly saw of it a very nice fuel pump and filter,  we'll probably never see that again alas....

spacer.png

spacer.png

Might have added a few extra bits of detail, sure it'll look better once painted..🤞

spacer.png

spacer.png

And of course the biggest time consumer of all....not sure whom has an aversion to the vet more him or my pocket!

spacer.png

Until next time.

Darryl and on this occasion Scoobie. 

• Like 16

Those bits will turn up in a month or two when the carpet monsters get bored of them and throw them back.

My dog has a strange liking for the vets. She pulls on the lead to get through the door when we get there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Very nicely done Darryl. A good looking engine and some fine detailing.👍 Hopefully you find the missing bits and all the best to Scoobie.

4 hours ago, Trevor L said:

Those bits will turn up in a month or two when the carpet monsters get bored of them and throw them back.

My dog has a strange liking for the vets. She pulls on the lead to get through the door when we get there.

Thanks chaps, I'm sure the elusive pump and filter will appear......once it's all finished. Don't think its absence will be obvious once the engine is fitted in situ.🤞

Scoobie used to love the vets, he'd trot in and visit all the vets, nurses and staff until he had an ear infection...now we've a trembling bag of nerves as soon as we get there.  (Had the same trembling response even when visiting one whilst on holiday)

And unfortunately we visit the vets a lot!!!

• Sad 2

Nice job on the engine Darryl and the extra details really bring it to life :thumbsup:  

Shame about the parts the carpet monster got but as we all know it's one if those occupational hazards of scale modelling that we have to spend hours going round in circles trying to find the missing parts:frantic:

Kris

• Thanks 1

Best wishes for Scoobie Darryl.

It never ceases to amaze me how dropped or pinged parts perform that magic disappearing act, every session I recon I spend half my time crawling around the floor.

The engines looking good, will much of it be seen on the completed model?

Wayne

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, edjbartos said:

The engine is looking good Darryl, It will look brilliant when painted...

Ed

Thanks Ed, not sure about brilliant, however if not happy I can always close the bonnet.

12 hours ago, planecrazee said:

Nice job on the engine Darryl and the extra details really bring it to life :thumbsup:  

Shame about the parts the carpet monster got but as we all know it's one if those occupational hazards of scale modelling that we have to spend hours going round in circles trying to find the missing parts:frantic:

Kris

Thanks Kris, I must have spent a couple of hours looking for the flipping thing so I've decided it's a goner, at least with its position being low down I doubt its absence will be noticed. 🤞

9 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Best wishes for Scoobie Darryl.

It never ceases to amaze me how dropped or pinged parts perform that magic disappearing act, every session I recon I spend half my time crawling around the floor.

The engines looking good, will much of it be seen on the completed model?

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, I'll pass on your best wishes to his Lordship!

I heard the part ping so thought I knew which direction it had gone......:doh:

I doubt much will be obvious apart from the very top, air filter, rocker cover, exhaust manifold etc so as long as it looks acceptable I'll be happy. If not I'll close the bonnet!

Thanks chaps

• Like 5

Doing well, lost another part, this time I recall cutting the part free and putting it somewhere......if only I could remember where somewhere was.:hmmm:

Anyway, engine, bellhousing and radiator assembly painted. The misplaced part was the shield above the fan belt.  (Still need a spot of paint on the oil filler cap and radiator bottom hose).

spacer.png

spacer.png

Engine bay interior colour grey??

Cheers 

• Like 13

Engine bay painted panzer grey and the engine mounted in situ. A few more bits and bobs to fit in yet, air cleaner, steering box, exhaust etc so should be busy enough.

Doubt much will be seen once all buttoned up, pretty dark in there, which is fine with me. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'd forgotten what a build like this would be like, assemble - mount - paint, assemble - mount - paint and so on. Reminds me of doing aircraft....

Anyone any suggestions on interior colour?

I've seen various options, restored ones showing grey interior with interior white from the front seats forward, to overall dunklegelb (obviously not applicable here). A period b&w photo showing all over grey. ICM are advocating interior white for the front part which I quite like as it'll make it more interesting but:shrug:

That's all folks!

Darryl 

• Like 16

5 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

I'd forgotten what a build like this would be like, assemble - mount - paint, assemble - mount - paint and so on. Reminds me of doing aircraft....

Except that you don't have a canopy to mask. :whistle:  I think that you correct, the front/driver's area should be white, and the rear open/economy seating area is panzer grey.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Stef N. said:

It's coming along very well. I have no expert knowledge of the colours but I have seen it painted the front part white and the rest grey, which makes sense and looks good. 👍

19 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I think that you correct, the front/driver's area should be white, and the rear open/economy seating area is panzer grey.

Thanks chaps, white and grey it will be!

Beginning to think an enclosed armoured car might have been better, if only I had one.....:whistle: 

(Did someone say lazy modeller :winkgrin:)

Bovington museum shop has a Black Friday sale on, save 20% if spending over a particular amount, (that aspect I might not have mentioned to the current lady wife). And your supporting a good cause, honestly I'm not justifying it to myself....

19 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Except that you don't have a canopy to mask. :whistle: 

Speaking of lazy modelling, eduard do some cracking canopy masks. Never will I mask a canopy again if I have that option. :pilot:

• Like 2

On 26/11/2022 at 10:55, Stef N. said:

I cannot justify buying anymore kits.😥 Books and products though are fair game.😀

I tried the same plan as you Stef but it's difficult when some new kits come out that you have always wanted to build.  I did add this ICM Ausf.A kit to my Hannants basket but had a serious word with myself and deleted it.  I must build some of those other Sd.Kfz. 251 kits in the stash before I buy any more.  The book collection is getting rather large as well, it takes so long to gather all the reference material together, it's a pity the Panzerwrecks books didn't come out by vehicle type rather than as a vast collection of interesting photos.  It can take ages to wade through 20+ volumes to find the photos you need, good job I'm retired. :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great work on the ICM 251 and indeed they are really good kits, I have several but not a 251. Yet. I would go with panzer grau interior for your AFV but lighter shades that the exterior......

The Missing Lynx forum is always a good source of reference especially for Axis stuff. Some right nerds on there.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I cannot justify buying anymore kits.😥 Books and products though are fair game.😀 Thanks for the tip, and one for you. Panzerwrecks have a good sale if you are looking for a top up to your library.

That's ok, I can't justify it either.....I just don't let it stop me!  :facepalm:

That new 1/16 Tiger looks appealing,  as does the new Tamiya Comet and the .....

I've had a look through the Panzerwrecks site, they do do some nice books ....

The one on Hungary,  modelling/history, by AK or Mig (can't remember which),  has a peculiar appeal. :hmmm:

On 28/11/2022 at 10:18, Retired Bob said:

I tried the same plan as you Stef but it's difficult when some new kits come out that you have always wanted to build.  I did add this ICM Ausf.A kit to my Hannants basket but had a serious word with myself and deleted it.  I must build some of those other Sd.Kfz. 251 kits in the stash before I buy any more.  The book collection is getting rather large as well, it takes so long to gather all the reference material together, it's a pity the Panzerwrecks books didn't come out by vehicle type rather than as a vast collection of interesting photos.  It can take ages to wade through 20+ volumes to find the photos you need, good job I'm retired. :whistle:

Exactly, I see all these new releases and know full well I'll probably never get around to doing them but.... 

Look at it this was, it's not Crack-Cocaine,  I can always sell them on at some point if necessary, at least that's what I tell myself....

As long as the book has plenty of pictures and / or colour plates I'm usually happy, not sure about this new fangled idea of words but maybe one day....:mental:

On 28/11/2022 at 12:58, Threadbear said:

Great work on the ICM 251 and indeed they are really good kits, I have several but not a 251. Yet. I would go with panzer grau interior for your AFV but lighter shades that the exterior......

The Missing Lynx forum is always a good source of reference especially for Axis stuff. Some right nerds on there.....

Thanks, think I'll do panzer grey inside with interior white upfront (the fact I've painted the white might have a bearing on that :whistle:).

Never really been on missing links, I've had a very quick scan through but might be worth a proper look!

Cheers 

Thanks again chaps, appreciated as ever!

Darryl 

• Like 4

I cannot justify buying anymore kits.😥 Books and products though are fair game.😀 Thanks for the tip, and one for you. Panzerwrecks have a good sale if you are looking for a top up to your library.

One visit to Hannants later and that first statement went out the window. Who was I trying to kid??!😳

• Haha 5