Decisions, decisions....ICM SdKfz 251 Ausf A

A quick rummage through stash has produced a few options, providing your happy with mostly German halftracks at least!

spacer.png

As @Retired Bob is doing a 234, @Stef N. Is doing the Dragon Sdkfz 7/2 I'll probably forget those two for now. @Trevor Lis doing one of the Trumpeter 7/2 halftracks, noticeable different to the one here I must say though....

The Italeri kits would probably require a good dose of AM to get up to par think I'll forget those.

The AFV Club 251 Owl I've future plans for so that leaves....

spacer.png

Knowing my total lack of time for anything model related these days I'm inclined to go for something fairly straightforward.  Both 251 kits look good in that regard, the ICM inparticular looks quite appealing, not a huge panzer grey fan but not a deal breaker.

The Dragon 250 Stummel looks super simple, perhaps a bit dated and lacking in detail...The AFV Club 251/22 looks a contender or maybe just through caution to the wind and join the Sdkfz 7/2 party with the late 3.7cm armoured cab version. Not forgetting the surgery required on the drive sprocket to allow the tracks to fit, thanks Trumpeter!!!

Watch this space, a decision will be made!

(Just hope i can see a build through🤞🤞🤞)

Thanks for looking 

Darryl 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

The AFV Club 251/22 looks a contender

I have the Dragon kit of this variant; I'm tempted to build it as a stablemate to the 234/4 armoured car as they are both armed with a 75mm PaK.

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

join the Sdkfz 7/2 party with the late 3.7cm armoured cab version. Not forgetting the surgery required on the drive sprocket to allow the tracks to fit, thanks Trumpeter!!!

35 minutes ago, Trevor L said:

What's that you say about the drive sprocket? Something I should know?

Do you want to tell him or should I. :whistle:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trevor L said:

Any of those would be just fine.

As the kit stands the tracks won't sit properly on the drive sprocket as the teeth are misaligned. 

https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/trumpeter/tr01523d04.htm

Hopefully the link works, it's easier than trying to explain. 🤞

Darryl 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, planecrazee said:

You've certainly got an extensive range to pick from Darryl - no wonder you're not sure which way to go :shrug:

My vote would be to go for the ICM kit too but obviously the final decision lies with you :thumbsup:

Kris

Thanks Kris, yeah its worrying when I see the size of the stash but I just couldn't refuse an ebay bargain..(stopping browsing there now!)

I do like the look of the ICM kit, never built anything by them before but it looks pretty good.

11 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Hi Darryl, a nice collection there, what a choice.  I also do like the look of the ICM but have no experience doing them, whatever your choice, good luck..

Ed

Thanks Ed, great to have you along. 

Another vote for ICM!

11 hours ago, Marklo said:

I don’t see the problem you’ve got till February just build them all :) 

If only, really slow builder at the best of times, I'll just be happy to finish something!!

10 hours ago, Stef N. said:

A pleasant dilemma to have. I'd love to see the armoured 7/2 but for an easy build the ICM 251 looks good. 👍

Thanks Stef, I like the look of the 7/2 but, maybe, the 251 is the easy option to  ease back into the groove...

9 hours ago, Trevor L said:

Any of those would be just fine.

Thanks Trevor, hope to keep up with your 7/2, give me some pointers as to what to watch out for!

Thanks again chaps hope to break open the bags and retitle asap!

Darryl 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

As the kit stands the tracks won't sit properly on the drive sprocket as the teeth are misaligned. 

https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/trumpeter/tr01523d04.htm

Hopefully the link works, it's easier than trying to explain. 🤞

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl.

That might save me some hassle.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Glad you will be joining in Darryl, if you don't fancy an eight wheel armoured car, it would be interesting to see how well the ICM 251/A goes together.  :happy:

I do hope to, if I recall right these boxes of plastic bits needs sticking together and then paint (??) prior to putting on the stickers?

A 234 does have a certain appeal but both of the 251s look nice and shouldn't be too time consuming. 🤞

Apart from slapping together that Dragon Jagdpanzer whilst on holiday back in Aug/Sept I can't remember the last time I had a go at this lark. 

• Like 1

I have a soft spot for the pakwagon, that would get my vote Darryl. Whilst not a big fan of German half tracks there is something about the big cannon on the back that appeals, particularly in a late war three tone camo. Will be following along whichever you go for!

• Thanks 1

• Jasper dog changed the title to Decisions, decisions....ICM SdKfz 251 Ausf A

Well, box is open, bag is split, I guess that means a victim has been chosen!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Having never made anything from ICM this will be a new experience.  First impression; nice clean moulding with no flash, however as it's a fairly new kit so it kinda should. The plastic is very soft and flexible, so soft that a careless swipe of the knife could take a gouge out of it.

The kit includes a nice set of plastic figures along with a selection of accessories for them (probably won't get used).

The level of detail provided by ICM (imo) is commendable, just hope it all goes together as advertised...🤞

Tracks and tyres are both rubber, haven't opened that packet yet so I'll reserve judgement. 

And of course it comes in any colour you like as long as that's grey.

I'm almost tempted to do the AFV Club 251 Ausf D Pakwagon alongside as an education to compare the differences between early and late versions. :mental:

That's all for now folks

Darryl 

• Like 20

Good choice Darryl, just in case you've forgotten, you cut the plastic bits off the runners, glue them together, splash some paint about then when it's dry, put the stickers on. :whistle:

p.s. I found the decals for my Sherman dozer, just got fit that into my schedule.

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

you cut the plastic bits off the runners, glue them together, splash some paint about then when it's dry, put the stickers on. :whistle:

p.s. I found the decals for my Sherman dozer, just got fit that into my schedule.

I have to "cut" the plastic bits off.....well every day's a school day. :boom:

Think I've some old secateurs somewhere they'll do, talk about getting fussy.

• Haha 2

I have made 3 ICM kits and have found them all to be pretty good. They are reasonably priced and they do some interesting subjects. They are not over detailed, but I think there is enough detail there. Its also nice when they add figures which are made to fit the specific kit. Quite often it seems when they release a new kit, if you wait a couple of months a re-box will come out with figures included for only a few quid more.

My only criticism is their rubber tracks. For instance, on their T34 the tracks are in 2 sections each side, which is not great. I guess if they included link and length tracks (for instance) this would increase cost.

Anyway, good luck with the build Darryl and I hope you enjoy it.

George

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, IanC said:

I've never built anything from ICM either so will enjoy following along. 

This early 'Hanomag' does look slightly odd without the gun shield.

Afaik the main differences between the Ausf A and the Ausf B were the lack of gun shield, the two extra vision slits on each side of the upper hull and the position of the radio aerial which was on the mudguard just behind the right front wheel on the A and moved to the side of the upper hull on the B, perhaps with to the radio itself also being moved. The C had changes to the front end and repositioned side stowage boxes and the hull of the D was a different simplified shape.

Pete

• Thanks 2

I have this to painting stage, took longer than I thought it would, but still very nice to build, and there aren't many (if any!) other ausf A out there in 1/35. 

I like the visual differences Peter mentioned between this and the C and D..

• Like 2

On 07/11/2022 at 23:39, Jasper dog said:

Well, box is open, bag is split, I guess that means a victim has been chosen!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Having never made anything from ICM this will be a new experience.  First impression; nice clean moulding with no flash, however as it's a fairly new kit so it kinda should. The plastic is very soft and flexible, so soft that a careless swipe of the knife could take a gouge out of it.

The kit includes a nice set of plastic figures along with a selection of accessories for them (probably won't get used).

The level of detail provided by ICM (imo) is commendable, just hope it all goes together as advertised...🤞

Tracks and tyres are both rubber, haven't opened that packet yet so I'll reserve judgement. 

And of course it comes in any colour you like as long as that's grey.

I'm almost tempted to do the AFV Club 251 Ausf D Pakwagon alongside as an education to compare the differences between early and late versions. :mental:

That's all for now folks

Darryl 

Hello Darryl

A good choice, the C and D version is often built-this is something different!
ICM has good kits, I haven't had a very bad experience yet.

As some before me have written, there are very marked differences in the A version from the other types.

Obvious ones are the front end with bumper, the vision blocks, tailgate, rivets instead of welds etc.

I'll stay tuned!

MD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1