Fokker DR1 152/17 Iron Crosses background?

Jon_B

Way back in the late 1960’s I collected most of the Aircraft profiles of First World War aircraft. I used the illustration page to make scratch built balsa wood models. Now I’m using the same reference to paint a Roden 1/32 Fokker Dr1 my second ever plastic kit. The Profile illustration is of Fokker DR1 152/17

However other reference I’ve found online is sometimes different. The Iron Crosses on the wings sometimes have white square backgrounds on both top and bottom wings or neither or (as the Profile) different on top and bottom. Can anyone give any guidance? I note that a famous photo of 152/17 does seem to show square backgrounds to the top wing crosses but I'm not clear if that is a lighter red or a dirty white.

Fokker-DR-1-152-17.jpg

DR1-152-17.jpg

Not an expert on this aircraft or the rest of the marking information that you seek, but it looks like there had originally been a white square on the top wing which has since been painted over.  You can easily make out the white surround to the Iron Cross insignia on the top wing.  As to what color was used to paint over it, I really couldn't say as any photograph, even color photos, can lead you astray.

Later,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I can't now remember the exact date, but there was an order issued to over paint the white background. In some cases, this appears to have been interpreted as side and upper surfaces, while others applied it to lower surfaces, too, so depending on the point in time that you want your model to replicate, either could be correct on a Dr1.

Eduards take on this: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235089110-fokker-dr1-triplane-die-roten-flieger-d32006-eduard-132/

I remember that Cutting Edge also had the white area as a different red than the wing. 

Since red is a colour that cover rather bad I guess that painting over the white would give a lighter shade compared to the wing

Edited by Orso

The more images I see the more variations there are. The Eduards image you posted of DR1 152/17 introduces a red underside to the undercarriage airfoil which strikes me as odd. But that's not relevant to the decal question which I'm still undecided about.

• 2 weeks later...