MiG-21-F13 of the Finnish Air Force in 1/48 scale

The MiG-21F-13 was taken into use in the Finnish Air Force in the spring of 1963. This was the period when diplomatic balancing was very important viz-a-viz the USSR. Since the previous figthers had been western built Finland had to choose this time a Russian one for the next fighter. Well anyway, the MiG-21 was a state-of-the-art, sleek and stylish silver-coloured fighter. A total of 22 of this fighter were in use in the FAF till 1986.

I built the plane from Trumpeter's high-quality kit, for which I also got Eduard's photoetches and painting masks for the cockpit. There were no problems with the construction, and the instructions were good. I primed the fighter with Tamiya gloss black spray, TS-14, and covered it with Alclad polished aluminum. I also used Humbrol and Vallejo paints for the details.

Building the MiG was overall relaxing, and once in a while it's really nice to make models that go together easily, and with which you don't have to fight all the time.

This MiG is a distant and a somewhat sour memory of the period when Soviet built fighters formed the bulk of the FAF fleet. These times can now be forgotten in the roar of the FAF Hornets and the future F-35’s!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Einar
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1