Grumman TBM-3W "Guppy"

I have never completed a groupbuild so far, but I seem to have a thing for Grumman Avengers right now and I have Swords TBM-3W "Guppy", so am going attempt to do a build of this kit with no time constraints. 

For a short run kit it looks well moulded and detailed with a nice set of decals by Techmod. I am tempted to go with the Dutch Navy version. The plan is to start this kit in the next few days.

3-B2-C38-F7-857-F-4-CD6-BECE-BDC145-C61-

5524-F6-D1-7-A53-4-C97-ADC5-45-FFCE8-A78

5-C60-A687-B920-4047-B13-F-AAA091248-B9-

Been having problems loading the images so will load the deacl sheet in due course. 

I just built one of the other versions of the kit in the Canadian Group Build. You may find some of my observations/mistakes helpful. Also another builder had issues with your kit with the landing gear splay due to the radome. You might want to check that early in the build. I also have this kit on it’s way to me, I am looking forward to your build.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Robin-42 said:

I just built one of the other versions of the kit in the Canadian Group Build. You may find some of my observations/mistakes helpful. Also another builder had issues with your kit with the landing gear splay due to the radome. You might want to check that early in the build. I also have this kit on it’s way to me, I am looking forward to your build.

Thanks for the link, that is most useful. "Also another builder had issues with your kit with the landing gear splay due to the radome." That is somewhat concerning. 

Edited by Threadbear

45 minutes ago, Threadbear said:

Thanks for the link, that is most useful. "Also another builder had issues with your kit with the landing gear splay due to the radome." That is somewhat concerning. 

I think it is just due to the non-scale thickness of the doors plus the locating pins for the doors are too long, the doors need to be right tight to the gear leg. Also, on the real aircraft there is not much daylight between the dome and the door as well with gear down. Removing the locating pins for the doors off the gear legs might do the trick.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Robin-42 said:

I think it is just due to the non-scale thickness of the doors plus the locating pins for the doors are too long, the doors need to be right tight to the gear leg. Also, on the real aircraft there is not much daylight between the dome and the door as well with gear down. Removing the locating pins for the doors off the gear legs might do the trick.

Sounds a logical solution. 

Made a small start on the TBM-3W this morning with fuselage off the sprues and after some clean, a pretty good fit. Will need some attention around the radome but overall, not bad at all. Also assembled the cockpit which is nicely detailed. Will look at assembling the undercarriage and wing bays before giving all the necessary parts some bronze green. 

F48-A5-FF3-83-E8-442-D-8-FF0-C994-D72-CC

457-C388-A-88-B0-456-F-836-D-48-B7-E1713

5329-E61-C-5420-44-AC-9289-F0-BEEF432209

8276-CB4-C-61-B0-4-B12-BDA3-FD690-DC099-

Thanks for looking and welcome any comments.

• Like 5