1/72 B-24 Audrey's Back RAF CBI

Greetings Folks, 
Always wanted to make a B-24 in RAF marking which flew in CBI, and here it is KH211 Audrey's Back. This also completed my ww2 four engines for American bombers the other being the B-17 and B-29. The kit was a bit tough to work around. It was sold by Eduard with lots of bells and whistles, however, the original, Academy/Minicraft plastic was the best to work around. The fit was not great and there are errors in my model. Some of the PE was too small and used in places that won't be seen and I left some as well. For painting, I just use a basic green and modulate the variants using mixtures of yellow, brown, and grey, and I like the way she has come. The painting was more fun than actual building the kit.
So here it is, thank you for watching and any feedbacks are welcome.
Cheers

1.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by tomthounaojam
  • Like 63
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Awesome model of a rarely seen subject! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, glad to know you like my model, cheers

16 hours ago, Samuraiwarrior said:

Sorry, for some reason I cannot see your pictures. 

I hope you can view now?

6 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Nice!

What kit did you use?

Chris

Academy/Minicraft as the kit, however, it was boxed by Eduard

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is really nice looking Tom, a CBI Lib is on my far horizon, they do look good in that scheme. What is the story behind,  this one, it has  a most impressive mission tally.

Steve.

Greetings, Steve, Thank you so very much. I haven't gotten into the details of the aircraft and the mission flown by it. I just the markings as it was conspicuous. If I come across the aircraft mission will surely share here. Thanks

• Like 2

On 06/11/2022 at 03:26, tomthounaojam said:

any feedbacks are welcome.

Looks great,   more shots on the 'natural' background would be enhance the RFI.

I was curious for pics

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/serials/details.php?uniq=KH211

"B.VI; ex 44-44072; dld Dorval 15.9.44; to India, arr Karachi 25.9.44; 159 Sqn [A]: 355 Sqn [A] Audrey's Back; 99 Sqn [G]; emblem of cartoon hornet with gun in fore limbs and bomb in rear limbs under cockpit; SOC 11.4.46."

9f64ee74e18b9f1714517a0acc749655--plates

cheers

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/11/2022 at 04:26, tomthounaojam said:

Greetings Folks, 
Always wanted to make a B-24 in RAF marking which flew in CBI, and here it is KH211 Audrey's Back. This also completed my ww2 four engines for American bombers the other being the B-17 and B-29. The kit was a bit tough to work around. It was sold by Eduard with lots of bells and whistles, however, the original, Academy/Minicraft plastic was the best to work around. The fit was not great and there are errors in my model. Some of the PE was too small and used in places that won't be seen and I left some as well. For painting, I just use a basic green and modulate the variants using mixtures of yellow, brown, and grey, and I like the way she has come. The painting was more fun than actual building the kit.
So here it is, thank you for watching and any feedbacks are welcome.
Cheers

1.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

Well done.

Alain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/7/2022 at 8:25 AM, kapam said:

Beautiful and inspiring work!

Congratulations!

👏👏

Thank you, Kapam Glad to know you like it.

On 11/7/2022 at 2:59 PM, Maginot said:

Looks great!

Thanks Mate

On 11/7/2022 at 5:28 PM, Baldy said:

Lovely! Very interesting subject. Beautifully and convincingly painted and finished.

Cheers

Malcolm

Thank you, Malcolm. There are so many interesting subjects from Far east that need to be told, imho

On 11/7/2022 at 7:02 PM, Troy Smith said:

Looks great,   more shots on the 'natural' background would be enhance the RFI.

I was curious for pics

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/serials/details.php?uniq=KH211

"B.VI; ex 44-44072; dld Dorval 15.9.44; to India, arr Karachi 25.9.44; 159 Sqn [A]: 355 Sqn [A] Audrey's Back; 99 Sqn [G]; emblem of cartoon hornet with gun in fore limbs and bomb in rear limbs under cockpit; SOC 11.4.46."

9f64ee74e18b9f1714517a0acc749655--plates

cheers

T

Thank you Troy, learned more about the aircraft, much appreciated.

On 11/7/2022 at 7:29 PM, jean said:

Hi,

just like @Samuraiwarrior, I cannot  see your photos.

First time it happens with your posts.

cheers

JR

I hope you can view now @jean

On 11/7/2022 at 9:19 PM, Samuraiwarrior said:

Hi,

Yes now able to see pictures now.

Wow, that looks very nice. I really like the faded worn paint job. It really looks like a well-used aircraft.

Thanks for sharing,

Kevin 

Thank you Kevin, cheers

On 11/8/2022 at 3:17 AM, georgeusa said:

This is a nice Liberator in a scheme you don't normally find.  Excellent work.  Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, planning to do a Yankee one in the future as they flew here, during the HUMP sorties

15 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

Well done.

Alain

Thank you, Alain.

13 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

I can't resist a B24!

This is very nice indeed. I think you obviously enjoyed making it too. The weathering is very realistic i think to my eye.  Thanks for showing ! Regards, Andy

Really appreciate the kind words, encouragement like these lift up the spirit, cheer

9 hours ago, RaceAddict said:

One can spot a Vargas Girl anywhere. 

Gorgeous build!

Thank you, Cheers Mate
Here is my American Big Boys
asdfgh.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

SNAP! That's the exact same RAF Liberator that my Grandpa was a Leading Aircraft Man for in WW2!!!

I am lucky enough to have his photographic records of his time at war. Couple of examples shown below (see the nose art!).

LAC Bernard Rosen is the fella in the tilted hat; and positioned bottom left in the crew photo. They called themselves 'Audrey's Boys'. They were stationed in Bombay, before setting up an RAF base in the remote Cocos Islands. Each bomb symbol was painted after they returned safely from another mission. This includes extensive bombing raids on Japanese infrastructure (rail, roads, bridges, etc) in the South Pacific, as part of RAF Squadron 99. Harrowing times, but they got back home safely.

Bernard (AKA Benny) lived a happy life in Manchester and leaves a legacy of seven great grandchildren. We're all going to visit the RAF Museum in London this weekend, to see the only surviving Liberator in Europe; which is also from the exact same RAF Squadron 99 too!

Well done and thank you for making such an epic model. You have inspired us to make one just like it too!

Can you share - do you know the name of the book shown above that you found the photo of it from?

Thanks again,

Joel

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Must of missed this first time round so thanks to @Joel K for the resurrection and a fantastic addition to the story too, it's things like this that I love about the internet :)

Love the pic of the 3 bombers together, great weathering approach on them.

Cheers

Neil