Watts propeller in 1:24

Admiral Puff

I'm in the process of resuscitating an Airfix Spitfire I that I built way back when the kit first came out. My kit has been through several house moves, in the course of which the prop/spinner unit has gone AWL. I've tried a post in "Wanted" for a replacement, but so far to no avail. The mention of a Munich Spitfire in the WWII section has inspired me to look for a two-blade Watts unit, but again I've come up empty-handed. Does anyone know of an aftermarket unit that would work?

2 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Does anyone know of an aftermarket unit that would work?

Unlikely, due to it's size.   But, might be worth seeing what is available for small radio control or static line flying models.

Also of note, the re-issue of the Mk.I kit as a Vb had two props,  so the Mk.I DH prop is out there in spares box land. (so keep asking) 

Finally,  try scratching making one, I have the PSL Spitfire book, I'll have a look later, and see what that says.

Thanks, Troy. I'll keep trying. I may be able to track down a second-hand Vb kit somewhere - that way I could do the 451 RAAF one on p. 94 of the PSL book ...

I have the PSL book. It includes (at p. 93) a basic set of drawings of the Watts prop, and gives some notes on scratchbuilding one - basically what you've said above. I'll travel that road if I have to, but in the past such ventures have usually ended in tears!

2 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

I'm in the process of resuscitating an Airfix Spitfire I that I built way back when the kit first came out. My kit has been through several house moves, in the course of which the prop/spinner unit has gone AWL. I've tried a post in "Wanted" for a replacement, but so far to no avail. The mention of a Munich Spitfire in the WWII section has inspired me to look for a two-blade Watts unit, but again I've come up empty-handed. Does anyone know of an aftermarket unit that would work?

The early Hurricanes and Spitfires used  different size two-blade props.

The Spitfire and Hurricane were not fitted with a "Watts Propeller."  Its named after , Dr H C Watts M.B.E., D.Sc., M.Inst. C.E., F.R.Ae.S. who worked at the RAE and came up with  design parameters for  fixed pitch props. He was never involved in the manufacture of  propellers or was employed by a company that did.

The early spit prototype was fitted with a prop described as the "Weybridge."  the first production  spitfires were fitted with an Airscrew Company two-bladed fixed pitch wooden, air screw 10 ft 8 ins diameter using the  Watts parameters. 

Francis K. Mason wrote the prop of the early Mk. I Hurricane was a two-blade right-hand wooden Type Z38. Diameter 11 ft. 3 in. Weight, 79 lb. So they were different items.

Selwyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DC,

Having made two props for a pair of 1/16 scale wind wagons and enjoyed the process I would be happy to make you a two blader.

Scoot me a copy of the PSL pages and I will take a crack...ready for the December APMA meet if you are quick!

Cheers,

DM