Supermarine Spitfire MK1 WZ T - Munich Crisis

Octávio Mântua

Hi all,

I have a question about the registration of this aircraft that I would like to ask the forum.

Apparently this aircraft (WZ T) had as registration number: K9794. 

The airfix kit does not provide andy registration decals but a previous AZmodel kit issued this decal. On the other hand there is a photo os this aircraft with the registration covered.

My question is: Was this registration number covered on the real aircraft or was this covered only on the photo (so as not to reveil sensible information to the enemy)? 

Photo of the AZ kit:

Captura de ecrã 2022-11-03 212404 by ZlinXII, no Flickr

52475495959_79cda93e3b.jpgCaptura de ecrã 2022-11-03 212404 by ZlinXII, no Flickr

Photo of the real aircraft:

52474712537_4e10da2072_c.jpgwzt3 - Cópia by ZlinXII, no Flickr

Best regards,

Octávio

It may sound cynical and I'm far from an expert of WZ*T, but scrutinizing the photo, I'd place my vote for it being overpainted on the aircraft.  IMO, it's far too neat for a wartime censor.  Usually in all the censored photos I've come across, anything they wanted to censor was basically scratched out on the negative.  This definitely looks painted directly on the airframe. Maybe others more familiar with this particular airframe, at this particular time .... will chime in soon.  

Scott

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Octávio Mântua said:

My question is: Was this registration number covered on the real aircraft

Munich Crisis security

Other from the same era show painted out serials.

46916207501_f338e5e26a_b.jpg19 Squadron 40 by Сергей Кривицкий, on Flickr

31975043667_b3b5bd4acc_b.jpg19 Squadron 06 by Сергей Кривицкий, on Flickr

Possibly painted for the photos  as these look to be from a press visit. 

Also note the variations on upperwing roundels

33040900918_b9cb02bd47_b.jpg19 Squadron 07 by Сергей Кривицкий, on Flickr

WZ-L has none, WZ-B only on port wing.  

This is always worth a read for what when and why..

Supermarine%20Spitfire%20Camo%20&%20Mark

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Camouflage-Markings/Supermarine-Spitfire

HTH

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In addition, at least one of the aircraft from 19 Sdn had the underwing serials noticeably blacked out (as is a black rectangle)  either before or when the white starboard undersurfaces were applied (the white also left a 'ghost' of the underwing roundel).  This was true on WZ-B,   Other aircraft had 'B' roundels under the starboard wing.  I can't shed any light on whether either case applied to WZ-T.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, jimmaas said:

In addition, at least one of the aircraft from 19 Sdn had the underwing serials noticeably blacked out (as is a black rectangle)  either before or when the white starboard undersurfaces were applied (the white also left a 'ghost' of the underwing roundel).  This was true on WZ-B,   Other aircraft had 'B' roundels under the starboard wing.  I can't shed any light on whether either case applied to WZ-T.

I seem to remember from somewhere that the large serials were painted out but the aircraft were re marked with the serial in small lettering (1"?) on the fin, just about where the parachute is placed in the image above!

Selwyn

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Troy Smith - that first photo has some very interesting chipping on the nose of the Spitfire. I also thought that the look on the “Erk” in the background was a look of enjoyment at watching the pilots running to their aircraft (probably first time since 1918), needless to say, but little did he know how common that would become !

Edited by 72nd SQN
  • Like 2

Hi,

I was looking at the 1/48 instructions from Eduard and the specify that the section right next to the wind sheild had diferent reinforcements (?).

In the following photo, there seems to be 3 diferent options:

- A- with no reinforcements;

- B - with a lateral reinforcement (2) and the upper panel seems to be sectioned (1); 

- C - with a lateral reinforcement only (2).

52485179815_39f47bef90_z.jpgSpit_MK_diferent_motor_cover by ZlinXII, no Flickr

Analyzing the photo of WZ-T:

- it looks to me that this particular aircraft was the same as option B or C. Any suggestions? Which option do you tinhk is more correct?

- Also the pitot tube under the wing that is painted black seems to be painted white? Or was this photo taken before they painted the ubderside fuselage white and black?

52484222332_2afab71d49_z.jpgwzt3 - Cópia by ZlinXII, no Flickr

Best regards,

Octávio 

Looks to me like "B". My guess is that WZ_T's pitot is in the original aluminum underside color, not white. Note also that the underside of the aileron is also aluminum color, not black. This was seen sometimes.

Edited by Rolls-Royce
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Rolls-Royce said:

Looks to me like "B". My guess is that WZ_T's pitot is in the original aluminum underside color, not white. Note also that the underside of the aileron is also aluminum color, not black. This was seen sometimes.

Thanks very much for your comment! The pitot tube being aluminium makes sense!

Best regards,

Octávio

Quite a few aircraft appear to have retained aluminium painted  control surfaces, especially ailerons. This was apparently because the control surface was balanced and the extra weight of paint on one surface would affect the balance and therefore handling of the aircraft. At some stage the control surface would be re-balanced. 

• Like 1