Hi from the Scottish Highlands

FarNorthRod

Hi all and thanks for letting me in the door.

I'm a man of a certain age looking retirement in the face soonish and looking to take up a hobby I last dabbled with too many years ago. So I would consider myself a complete beginner really.

A few years ago I picked up a couple of Tamiya kits of the universal carrier mainly to honour my late father who fought in one of them in North Africa, Sicily, and Normandy with the 51st Highland Division. They’ve sat in my garage since then occasionally giving me the side eye as I took my lawnmower, or my electric drill, or even sometimes the car out. This year I decided I’d had enough of their glowering looks and should do something about it. So for the past few months I’ve been getting myself organised, getting tools and equipment, organising a workspace, and reading online and watching youtube videos to get a feel for modern scale modelling.

But what to make (apart from the universal carriers)? I’m not really a tank head, not that much into planes (although I will do a Lancaster for my late mum who worked in the Avro plant in Manchester making the undercarriage), and no room for big ships all over the place.

To make ends meet I work for the ambulance service on an emergency ambulance so I started looking there and soon picked up a modest stash of military ambulance vehicles. My massive stash is 6 (six) different ambulances plus the 2 universal carriers and I hope to make a start soon.

I’m sure help and advice will be forthcoming when I look for it and good to join the community. Roddy.

• Like 9

Hi Roddy

Welcome from a Scot in London

Cant wait you see your universal carriers, you should be able to get 51st Highland Division decals for them in 1/35, I have some in 1/72 and still haven't got round to using them.

Cheers

Calum

Hello Roddy …:post1: from the city of Chicago USA. I mostly build military aircraft but do throw the odd bit of armor in to break up the monotony. As for retirement I know how that feels, I’m forcibly retired (disabled) myself, it takes some getting used too but the best thing to do is keep busy. Hobbies, Friends, whatever just stay busy. With modeling just build anything for now that strikes your fancy. Sooner or later you will begin to develop a taste for certain subjects, oh and the stash never stops growing. 

Dennis

Welcome Roddy from an ex-pat "lowlander" (Dunfermline) but now in Ontario Canada.   Been retired for over 25 years myself and modelling is a wonderful way to pass a lot of that free time you might soon have.   You'll find this is a friendly, helpful forum with people from all over the world.

Frank

• Like 1

Greetings from western Canada. I was born and raised in New Scotland ( Nova Scotia ) Canada but moved west over 40 years ago. My maternal ancestors were from Scotland. They were of the Border clans, who apparently didn't get on with either the Scots or the English.

Chris

:welcome:

Good afternoon Rod, from an expat Brit living in France who wishes he was Scottish! Long story, but all my best times were had north of the border and my daughter still lives in Glasgow having studied at uni there.

I thought I was an aircraft modeller, but this site has inspired me to go all over the place modelling wise. The standard shown here by some of the absolute masters of this craft will certainly inspire you!