Shiny Jump Jet! 1/48 Kinetic Harrier GR.1

Hi all,

its been a while since I’ve posted any build related things, so thought it would be good to show you all my latest build of the somewhat lovely Kinetic Harrier GR.1. 

Standard box pic with some added goodies: 

52476756991_6a3b1d3d2e_b.jpg

I utilised the build notes and resources from the Harrier Sig, kindly sent over to me by @Ozzy  . Thanks Mate!

The kit itself was a strange juxtaposition of nice detail with some poor fit and soft detail. Some of the fuselage panel lines for example were very soft and didn’t line up. Somewhat reminiscent of some more recent Revell kits. However for the most part this kit was a very enjoyable build. One annoyance was the SNEB pods which are modelled with the rockets protruding, the instructions advise you to sand these off but it looks very naff, so had to fill and sand and make masks for the rocket covers on the nose of the launcher. PITA!

Unfortunately I had to make life hard for myself by attempting to fit an Aries cockpit, which caused me endless hours of fun/pain :(. Eventually got it to sort of fit by removing as much plastic as I dared but in doing so it caused the from fuselage to bow out a bit which caused problems later down the line with the windscreen. Ended up screwing up the first part and had to order a replacement from Kinetic which turned up as reasonably quickly as one can expect from Hong Kong ( in standard British fashion it took as long to make it the 50 miles from Heathrow to central Bedfordshire as it did from Hong Kong to the UK). Other aftermarket was a dream to use, namely the Reskit wheels which were fantastic, especially as the hub and tyre are moulded seperately, very thoughtful when it comes to painting!

Enough waffle from me anyway, kit is an early GR.1 of 1(F) Sqn in the early gloss scheme of Dark Green / Dark Sea Grey over Light Aircraft Grey, all paints were MRP, except the varnish which is Alclad Klear Kote 50/50 with MLT (somehow this is still a tiny bit tacky a week after spraying 🤦🏻‍♂️). Decals provided are by Cartograph and were perhaps the nicest I’ve ever used. Anyway, some photos!

52476292232_eeb5a83ede_b.jpg

52477032019_66bd9e662b_b.jpg

52476756036_77d1b8ca0c_b.jpg

52477036409_6bb009c865_b.jpg

52476754531_a0a253b175_b.jpg

52476254962_05ebbea142_b.jpg

52477299823_c463208e2d_b.jpg

Cheers!

Ash

Edited by Doccur
Photo added
  • Like 60
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

Absolutely gorgeous, that’s some smart paint work, good job!

Thanks mate, the MRP paints go down so smoothly they really have made my finishes so much better. 

23 hours ago, Paulaero said:

Very nice, factory fresh finish, great work on those pods!!

Thanks @Paulaero They were a right pain to be honest! If it wasn’t for the expense I was tempted by some replacement resin ones. 

22 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Only one issue, its far far  too clean for a Harrier! 🤣

Selwyn

It was clean once, I have photos to prove it 🤣

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

6 hours ago, gazza l said:

Stunning build, lovely paintwork... very neat.

I'm currently building this kit and struggling with the wing fit, the top looks OK but the underwing joint is a nightmare!

gazza l

yes this but is a bit of an annoyance. I was recommended to thin the mating surfaces of the wings to get a better join but I didn’t and definitely regretted it! 

Fortunately that joint isn’t very visible :whistle:🤫