Savoia SM 66 - drawings, painting schemes - any available?

JWM

Hi,

I am considering conversion of Savoia SM 55 A by Dora into Savoia SM 66. Looks, that I can use perhpas tail with booms, bottom parts of floats, central part of wings and mauve that is all. The external parts of wings are far longer and of course there  are three engines (pushers props) , not two on a single tractor-pusher tower. 

I have found that 6 machines from Air Littoral were imposed into Regia Aeronautica - and served as search and rescue machines. Were they all white with red crosses and national colors bands, like for example Cants 506?

Regards

J-W

Dear J-W, I don't think that a conversion is possible. The SM 66 in much bigger than the S55 (33m vs 24m span). You may take the S55 kit as an inspiration, but that's all. 
I also dreamed about building a SM 66 and if I ever will do it I will make the wings in balsa covered with plastic card (crush molded) with 3d printed hulls. There is not a lot of info available, but I will share with you via WeTransfer what I have. After lunch 🙂

Carlos

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, CarLos said:

Dear J-W, I don't think that a conversion is possible. The SM 66 in much bigger than the S55 (33m vs 24m span). You may take the S55 kit as an inspiration, but that's all. 
I also dreamed about building a SM 66 and if I ever will do it I will make the wings in balsa covered with plastic card (crush molded) with 3d printed hulls. There is not a lot of info available, but I will share with you via WeTransfer what I have. After lunch 🙂

Dear Carlos,

Thanks a lot!  I have sent yo my e-mail address in PM. 

The outer parts of wings are for sure new. But some 20 years ago I made Ju-86R conversion (by 100% scratch work) from Italeri Ju 86 😧

35597794343_d5cceaaafa_b.jpg

The extension in Junkers was similar or perhaps even longer...  :) Therfore I a not very afraid of making outer parts of wings.  I used for Junkers only  plastic cards, no balsa.

Both SM 66 and SM 55 has similar length, it is 16.6 and 16.4 m. respectively. The difference is likely due to larger chord of rudder and elevator.

The floats of SM 55 P

Aeroflot_Savoia-Marchetti_S.55P.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT215w1NjtI2FBeZw_nJyf - please note 5 (above) or four (left) portholes (circular windows) in front part of hull/float.

And SM 66 

31-4.jpg

Are only a bit different (in number and place of some windows) but I think they are basically the same. The problem is , that from Dora only SM 55 and SM 55 A are available, no SM 55 P (nor SM 55X).  

Now, when I look on tail it looks a bit differently - the SM 66 has larger areas of both tailplane and fins.

Here is drawing of hull/floats of SM 66

1031-1.jpg

And here for Sm 55P 

accddf1fe63faf498ffe9b576b409a08--marche

They looks very similar if not identical at least regarding construction, external shapes and dimensions. The problem is that Dora produces only SM 55 and Sm 55A, which had wooden hulls/floats not the SM-55P . Therefor they require scratch work (or 3D printing, as you suggest!). 

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
several correction of misprints (mostly)
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 2:54 PM, CarLos said:

There is not a lot of info available, but I will share with you via WeTransfer what I have. After lunch 🙂

Carlos

Mnay thanks for PMs!

I think I will go with this conversion, but it will be not instantly... I maen some years have to go, as usually it happens with me. 

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Wow.... I think you're onto something there, @JWM. This would be an epic build when you get a chance.

These were fantastic aircraft and they are all but lost in the aviation histories. 👍

Many thank for support - I this it is really doable, we will see if one can live long enough to do all his plans!  :)  First of all I have to buy one more SM 55A, now I need two of them:  to do one as Romanian WW2 machine and another convert to SM 66...  I have only one of them in stash.

Regards

J-W

12 hours ago, JWM said:

we will see if one can live long enough to do all his plans!  :) 

Well, all I can say is "Live long and prosper...."! 🖖

The 1st time I came across the SM55 was doing some art work, a 3 piece project, on the year 1927. I did the Supermarine S5, the Ryan NYP, and an SM55 of the Balbo expedition to Chicago World Fair. 

• Thanks 1