Panzerhaubitz 2000 and T-90K

echen

As with my T-80BV WIP and RFI please limit comments to the modelling aspect, so no politics here please to avoid the potential for controversy - or the Mods will be forced to shut this down.

I'm planning to build a 1/72 Revell Panzerhaubitz 2000 and T-90 in Ukrainian cam and markings.

I have not found much information other than a few pics.

With regard to national markings I think I caught a glimpse on TV of some (I think) captured Russian armour with white crosses side and front but it was only momentary so I'm not entirely sure.

Does anyone know a source of info on the current markings that would be used on a Ukrainian captured T-90, and the cam colours, likewise, for the Ukrainian Panzerhaubitz 2000s as provided by the various NATO nations?

Thanks in anticipation

Edited by echen
Correction to title
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, glibble said:

'm no expert on this matter, but there's a nice build blog on Track-Link regarding the Pzh2000 in Ukrainian service:

https://www.track-link.com/forums/site_blogs/53558

My guess is they just wipe out the national insignia of the donor country, and kept the original NATO 3 tone camouflage.

@glibble This is really helpful, thankyou

Found some U-Tube video on Ukrainian PzH 2000 in use. Looks like the green/black/brown NATO cam with no national markings - so @glibble 's post is confirmed.

Then. in another U-Tube video there's a PzH 2000 with a white cross on the turret..................

Edited by echen

• 4 weeks later...

Here are the necessary parts:

y4mrFTM6f74_DffSPDBA-3UVrKrWcbfq1HKBSgXy

The T-90 Destructions

y4mJxM74CAH6CFDTsYIPW_Nn6u--gjD0RWFagd_D

and the parts. Only concern is the wraparound tracks with which Uncle Nightshift had some grief but others have managed ok.

And for the PzH 2000

y4m9aPHOyYkwSjeULxHEtX86hoKSYQdIvRSCuYoN

and the PzH 2000 Destructions

y4msqVMJDUdNJGd6JUD6mCP4JerzN--2qQUCHq5c

and the parts.

All seem reasonably detailed but the PzH 2000 hull deck is a bit bent but will be persuaded to fit reasonably easily as it is quite thin. Also. if the L&L tracks are too short the side armour provides a place to hide.

Edited by echen
  • Like 6

Revell specifies "rust" for the metal track links and "anthracite" for the rubber pads. I can understand the pad colour - although I normally use dark grey for rubber. Anyone know the colour for pristine PzH 2000 tracks metal parts?

Got the start of the hull and turret together. Eventually persuaded the bent sections to go straight.

y4mZC26lmiTcSBAU1TWgFeQFI7RSF3P6M6YLz2VX

y4mYq77vX-6c2gVkbGgqZefCwKj1fB1vzSPbcwwH

It's a bit of a monster at 7.87m long (11.67m including the gun) The real thing, that is. 😁- even without the wheels and tracks fitted.

y4muKPlf50JGhR9fxiv-c7tn0SQIfcRSXNQO2dcO

As being parked next to a T-80 BV indicates Looks a tad like a Maus.........

Edited by echen
  • Like 4

I've put the gun barrel halves together.

The vents on the muzzle brake are solid but the real thing has daylight showing through.

Anyone got any ideas as to how I might open the vents without destroying the adjacent plastic? The dividing sections between the vents are very fine and vulnerable.

3 hours ago, sardaukar said:

could cheat and put a muzzle cover on it.

Thinking more thoughts about the muzzle brake. I think I might get away with paint to depict the vents.

On the basis that 1/72 builds benefit from marginally lighter colours I might look at using dark grey instead of black in the cam pattern. The vents could then be matt black to separate them from the metalwork. Lighter green and red brown than the specified colours would also be needed. It might get away as depicting a faded, well-used example.

I hunted high and low for an am 155mm L/52without success so, if all else fails a muzzle cover might put in an appearance.................😏

On 02/12/2022 at 11:07, echen said:

Revell specifies "rust" for the metal track links and "anthracite" for the rubber pads. I can understand the pad colour - although I normally use dark grey for rubber. Anyone know the colour for pristine PzH 2000 tracks metal parts?

Prestine tracks came to us from the factory in a brown/red color with mat black pads. 

The redbrown comes from the preservation layer they put on in the factory to protect the new track parts against rust. We had to wash it off with diesel. Just the parts were the connectors went.

If i can find them i will post pictures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, echen said:

Thinking more thoughts about the muzzle brake. I think I might get away with paint to depict the vents.

On the basis that 1/72 builds benefit from marginally lighter colours I might look at using dark grey instead of black in the cam pattern. The vents could then be matt black to separate them from the metalwork. Lighter green and red brown than the specified colours would also be needed. It might get away as depicting a faded, well-used example.

I hunted high and low for an am 155mm L/52without success so, if all else fails a muzzle cover might put in an appearance.................😏

a wash could help with a light dry brushing.

here is a direct link 

https://microworldtg.wixsite.com/0001/1-72?pgid=l3rdyoks-971793bb-9786-4bd7-8b46-644709f5ea29

• Thanks 1

This is what i could find. Not much in my private archive.

1-35-metal-track-links-set-for-german-le

download-4.jpg

sddefault.jpg

Hope it helps. Btw, i know these are leopard 2A6 pics but the tracks are the same and come from the same manufacturer: Krauss Maffei Wegmann. So they get similar treatement when shipped. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

Hope it helps.

@Maddoxx77 These pics certainly do help, much appreciated, thanks. An interesting explanation too - and I always wondered how track links got joined up. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sardaukar said:

a wash could help with a light dry brushing.

here is a direct link 

@sardaukar Thanks for this. I think I'll see how the kit progresses before I shell out for the am barrel. 

I suspect several washes will be involved as I'm hoping to end up with a very grimy, well-used PzH 2000 on the point of returning to the maintenance depot to have the overworked gun refurbished.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, echen said:

@Maddoxx77 These pics certainly do help, much appreciated, thanks. An interesting explanation too - and I always wondered how track links got joined up. 

They come in segments. 6 links per segment. We then had to link up all the segments using mid connectors and 2 end connectors. They were slammed on and then, using a big wrench, locked up with a bolt. After all the segments were joined we then had to stick a crowbar in one of the end connectors, lifting the end of the track on to the drive sprocket. The driver then slowly turned the drive sprocket as we had to guide the track over the top rollers to the front. After the track was completly in place, we then used the tools as seen in the bottom picture to join the track together. Then the last 2 end connectors can be slammed on and locked as can the mid connector.

It was heavy duty work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, echen said:

@sardaukar Thanks for this. I think I'll see how the kit progresses before I shell out for the am barrel. 

I suspect several washes will be involved as I'm hoping to end up with a very grimy, well-used PzH 2000 on the point of returning to the maintenance depot to have the overworked gun refurbished.

the dry brushing is good to highlight raised areas, usually using a lighter version of the base colour, it would probably work well on a muzzle break like the PzH 2000

• Like 1