- GLADIATOR turned into GAUNTLET - ICM and scratch -1/32

IPMS19

Apart from the IP in the MMP book JM I haven't seen any internal cockpit photographs either so I think you can model it as you wish and nobody can tell you you're wrong!  And as ever in cockpits, not much can be seen.  I like the look of that IP by the way.

Max

• Like 1

-Time has come to begin the rebuilding of the fuselage. A pattern of the part to be replaced has to be carefully taken with masking tape another adhésive may do the job. Apply this pattern on your metal sheet ,cut it and glued it with cyano

Ip9grG.jpg

-Sorry for these blurred photos - To help the shaping, use the metal in the direction of the curvature of the can.

v75My7.jpg

3qtmAU.jpg

To cut the cockpit opening I must thanks Max for his help.

fclxhd.jpg

-The hairy affair is the prepositionned rigging wires. Next step the fuselage back behind the seat.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, galgos said:

Marvellous JM.  How will you get the ribbing effect?

-Hi Max,

I have two ideas which requires few tries before going further on. As the ribbing effect is very shallow, I was thinking of making small diameter wet toilet paper rolls (boudins in French)- and once dry, glue them on the surface of the metal and cover the whole thing with the adhésive foil, easy to burnish at an acceptable shape or punch a small diameter tube or nail inside the metal sheet to get a ribbing effect and proceed as usual but a precise spacing between them is mandatory. I have to try......In last resort, there is an emergency exit by filing some evergreen stripes to the appropriate shape and proceed like the first solution .... which is far more fun no ?

It will be quite a challenge whichever way you try! A further option could be to make it all smooth to the biggest diameter then with a curved blade, scrape away along the line of the rib. This is what I did on my Gauntlet on the belly for 2 or 3 cms because that part had been modelled by SW as metal covered rather than fabric. 

• Like 1

-Time has come to take care of the spine;

91DDpZ.jpg

-Detemine the shape of the metal to be cut

Xs4Xl7.jpg

- Once the skin applied, preposition some length to dimensions of evergreen rods of the smallest possible diameter to simuate the ribbing. 

-On the ICM kit the ribbing is shallower than on the S.W kit and scraping technique is impossible on metal, my idea of wet paper roll being too hazardous I use the plastic rods, but this will requires time consuming  sanding and putty work.

9AETYm.jpg

• Like 6

-To reduce and suppress the problem of wrinkle foil, a thick coat fo Mr Surfacer 1200 is applied,

ckIeAP.jpg

- Some imperfections are to be noticed so I sprayed a coat of black paint to render them more conspicious

4E909l.jpg

-These requires patches of thinned surfacer, to be sanded again once dry, eventually to be repeated until satisfaction...

hsNuZL.jpg

• Like 3

Mr Surfacer, where would we be without it? It will work in the end but I was wondering if it might be quicker and cleaner to emboss the ribs onto a sheet of styrene with a pencil. The styrene will curve nicely once embossed and can be folded into the shape you want. As said, the Mr Surfacer will work and I have done it like that before too.

Richie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

- Thank you Ritchie , I had thought of your solution but there were too many difficulties; The ribbs are not parallel to match those on the rear fuselage back to be embossed on the itself arched surface of the fuselage back , so thinking of the number of beer can had to drink owing to the number of wrong parts to be made before finding THE right one, I choosed  another way

-The way of the surfacer, the Modellers's Gods gift....

• Haha 1

I had to do a similar thing to the engine nacelles on a vacuform Avro Anson that I'm building JM.  I laid down strips of plastic rod tapering to a point then filled in with Apoxie sculpt putty, thinned to a fairly runny consistency.  Each to their own, but I'd be using plastic sheet as my base, not metal.

Sef9Ok.jpg

YZ9AvR.jpg

The orange paint is a car body primer which gives a good finish but is thick enough to give some "body" when sprayed on.  Might work for you?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, galgos said:

The orange paint is a car body primer which gives a good finish but is thick enough to give some "body" when sprayed on.  Might work for you?

Beautiful work! I use the same car body primer but need many layers because my work is not as neat as yours! 

2 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

The way of the surfacer, the Modellers's Gods gift....

A great gift it is too, been splodging it about  today. 😀

• Like 1

15 hours ago, galgos said:

I had to do a similar thing to the engine nacelles on a vacuform Avro Anson that I'm building JM.  I laid down strips of plastic rod tapering to a point then filled in with Apoxie sculpt putty, thinned to a fairly runny consistency.  Each to their own, but I'd be using plastic sheet as my base, not metal.

Sef9Ok.jpg

YZ9AvR.jpg

-Fantastic  ribbing work on  this Anson, in the past I used car body one component finishing putty found easily everywhere, the tube was four time a Tamiya putty size for half the cost, but it  desappeared from the retailers shelves, the one now available is unuseful for modelling as it needs an hardener to work and. far too thick

- The fight has been ferocious, but I  fear I won't get something better....

Uj50kU.jpg

wj1rkw.jpg

-What's for sure, you won't see it on the SMW competition tables ....show must, and will,go on whatever......

- Some finishing is now required  but nothing impossible to cope with.....

• Like 4

- Unhappy with what I've done as there was a big difference of details between the kit original and what I got I elect to a more radical solution

xLuIPI.jpg

-So my own ribs were added after sanding the kit ones and covered with foil but as the forward part was far from beeing sitasfying I fired all the whole to be replaced by another set of ribbs using the same system

G7YQkI.jpg

taf8sn.jpg

FRnnl0.jpg

Covered with foil and begining to lost my nerves, hence the quality of the photos.....once sprayed with white aluminium ALCLAD, the result is certainly not perfect but I've enough of these bloody ribbs and decide to be happy with them.......may the modeller's God forgive me...

bzJsbm.jpg

-Enough for today guys.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1