The Prince of Darkness - Finished

Andwil

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

In a b/w picture that wavy plywood pattern in the background could go for a cloudy night sky :hmmm:. The Junkers looks very good too!

Like so:

2022-12-11 10:12:55

AW

• Like 2

This week I’ve been struggling with a lack of time and motivation, but in a few minutes here and there I have attached the guns and props, the remaining clear parts and done some paint touch ups.  No photos to show however.  I now only have the radar aerials to do which I’m not looking forward to as they are PE and quite fiddly, if I stuff them up the whole model will be ruined.  🤞

AW

• Like 3

• Andwil changed the title to The Prince of Darkness - Finished

I’m calling this one finished, it’s lacking the radio aerial, but my CA has gone off and the line will not stay stuck in place, I’ll add it later.  I was right to be worried by the PE radar aerials.  Each of the four aerial branches came in three parts.  The second piece I separated from the frame pinged off across the bench.  I found it after a long and thorough search.  Then I folded the ends the wrong way (should have looked closer at the instructions).  Of course bending it back the right way snapped it off rendering it useless.  Luckily I was able to rob the antennae from an Italeri Do 217-N that I am not likely to ever build, so I used them instead.  Not as fine  as Hasegawa’s PE, but round not flat and much stronger.  I also replaced the ventral towel rail aerial with one left over from an ICM Do 215 (old tool) that I abandoned during the Dornier group build earlier in the year.  Hasegawa part it very strange, being moulded in clear plastic and they would have you paint the aerials leaving the gaps clear.  The ICM part is far superior.

52567857757_e918352e2e_b.jpg

52568595494_f33b16e610_b.jpg

Thanks to @vppelt68 for a fun group build and thanks for looking in.

AW

Edited by Andwil
Reposted the photos so that I can see them!
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi AW,

According to the Squadron Signal Aircraft in Action (Ju 88 Pt 2) book, the original exposed FuBI 2 "towel rail" aerial was, as with several other aircraft types replaced with a covered streamlined one in later models, and possibly moved slightly forward. The cover was it seems plexiglass ( as was that on the EZ 6 d/f aerial on the upper fuselage) so I guess that is what Hasegawa were attempting to represent.

Pete

9 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi AW,

According to the Squadron Signal Aircraft in Action (Ju 88 Pt 2) book, the original exposed FuBI 2 "towel rail" aerial was, as with several other aircraft types replaced with a covered streamlined one in later models, and possibly moved slightly forward. The cover was it seems plexiglass ( as was that on the EZ 6 d/f aerial on the upper fuselage) so I guess that is what Hasegawa were attempting to represent.

Pete

I didn’t know that, looks like thats something else I can add to the accuracy errors I‘ve made with this model!  The nose aerials I used are the wrong type, and I have also read that this aircraft “may have been equiped with a trial schragemusik fitting”.

AW

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Andwil said:

I didn’t know that, looks like thats something else I can add to the accuracy errors I‘ve made with this model!  The nose aerials I used are the wrong type, and I have also read that this aircraft “may have been equiped with a trial schragemusik fitting”.

AW

I would not worry about it - looks good to me, and none of my kit builds could ever be called "totally accurate", particularly when building some of the older kits like my Ta 154 in another GB - life is just too short to try for perfection.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Congratulations AW

Looks the absolute business,  don't forget to put it in the Gallery  :like:

Cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat.  Glamour shots now in the gallery.

As a bonus I travelled back to 1943 and took this pic:

2022-12-18 07:34:27

and with my other Luftwaffe nightfighters, Lent’s Do 215 and Schnaufer’s Bf 110 G (built a few years back and brush painted).

52570404330_87582feb94_b.jpg

I now have representative aircraft for each of the top three Nachtjagd experten

Thanks for looking in.

AW

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 18/12/2022 at 07:39, Andwil said:

Thanks Pat.  Glamour shots now in the gallery.

As a bonus I travelled back to 1943 and took this pic:

2022-12-18 07:34:27

and with my other Luftwaffe nightfighters, Lent’s Do 215 and Schnaufer’s Bf 110 G (built a few years back and brush painted).

52570404330_87582feb94_b.jpg

I now have representative aircraft for each of the top three Nachtjagd experten

Thanks for looking in.

AW

Three fabulous looking Nachtjager - but I love that zerba striped Dornier - where did you find pictures of that one??  

8 hours ago, stevesoutar said:

Three fabulous looking Nachtjager - but I love that zerba striped Dornier - where did you find pictures of that one??  

The pattern is as per the instructions from the ICM kit, the colours I would need to go back and check my research.  They are normally given as RLM 74/75 but I read somewhere an analysis of the few photos of this aircraft which concluded that it was in fact black and a light grey, possibly RLM 77.   I built this model in the Dornier Do 17 family group build last year and noted that the finish was “conjectural”.  I’m not sure that I really like it.  Its not as stark in reality than the photo makes it look, I think using pure black was a mistake and I should have lightened it to reduce the contrast that makes the light grey appear to be white.

AW

• Like 1