Advice Please Re: the Postage and Packaging of Books for Sale

Pete Robin

I am seriously considering ditching quite a few of my books that I either don't use or haven't read in millenia.

My question is does anyone know what prices the PO charge or is it by kilo? Secondly, if I do decide to sell, what's the best method of packaging? If I buy books (which I do a lot), they invariably arrive in plastic bags, which I hate. Is there a lighter option than several layers of cardboard?

Lastly (thank the gods I hear you cry), I've never used Paypal to receive payments. Is this the best format or is another method preferred?

Many thanks for assistance

Regards

Pete

I don't think you can do better/cheaper than use the kind of packaging used on the books you receive, although you will have to check on the sizes as this affects the cost.  For all such details, including prices, look on the Post Office/Royal Mail website to get the latest figures.

I use Paypal quite happily for receiving money.

Pete, like you I buy books by post. The best wrapping I have found is a layer of bubblewrap around the book with a cardboard outer cover. I despair of vendors who drop them into a plastic bag which invariably results in dented and bent corners.

• Like 2

I've despaired with Amazon recently.  I bought two library books, volumes 1 and 2 of a series.  Each was pretty expensive and each of the large books weighs over a kilo. There was about three weeks between each of the books being sent 

The first volume arrived in a thin cardboard envelope and needless to say there was damage to a number of the corners. I reported the issue, explaining the problem including that I also had Vol 2 on pre-order.  Amazon assured me they had listened and sent the replacement in a thicker gauge cardboard envelope, still not great but it survived.

Guess what, the second volume eventually arrived, same thin envelope, bashed corners and return for replacement.

Amazon hadn't listened at all - I returned £80 worth of damaged books , god knows how many other customers did the same.

The corners are the weak points for books - you need packaging that protects them when the courier invariable drops or throws the package - if not you face the chance that the buyer will refuse them.

6 hours ago, nheather said:

The corners are the week points for books - you need packaging that protects them when the courier invariable drops or throws the package - if not you face the chance that the buyer will refuse them.

Yes, it is not enough for the book to leave you in perfect condition.  It needs to arrive with the buyer equally unscathed.  I reckon a bit extra spent on bubble wrap is good insurance against the time, expense and general hassle of negotiating a return.

Many, many thanks chaps.

Your thoughts and advice are gratefully received.

Will keep all this in mind if I decide to go forward with the cull.

A couple of volumes are quite large and may need some more thought.

Regards,

Pete