Revell 1/72 Ju88 A4 - Finished

Marklo

The Ju.88 came off the line universally (or almost) in 70/71/65, other schemes being applied post-production.  (There may be an exception for the desert versions.)  So your undersides "should" be 65, but black would be an option for night operations, either permanent paint or distemper.

I don't know just which version you are attempting, but for anyone else contemplating this scheme at least some of the aircraft in Italy 1943/44 were dark blue rather than the greens or sandy colours.  Including the example in the Italeri kit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I don't know just which version you are attempting

I’m not entirely sure myself as there seem to be two versions of the colour scheme out there. 

To me however it looks like a 74/76 reverse mottle and I’d assume black undersides, so I think that’s where I’m going with it. My one niggle is that I wouldn’t have expected an unmodified A4 to be much use as a night fighter. 

Edited by Marklo

What codes/markings do you have for it?  Some Ju 88s (variants largely unspecified but probably not A-4s) were used as flare droppers to assist the night interceptions of the bomber stream, but they are said to have been white.  The overall dark green with 76 wave mirror and black undersides did appear on many bombers in the "Baby Blitz" of 1944; I'd rather assumed that you were doing one of those or a maritime one.

DC1-A482-A-2-D19-481-D-9-A04-E0-BEB3919-This is the scheme. Actually you’re probably right about 65 over 70. I just assumed that it was 76 over 74 owing to my associating it with a night fighter scheme. That said in practice they font look that different, so I shan’t repaint the camo. But the non yellow underside does look a light colour so I’ll probably go with 65 for that, hmmm.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Marklo changed the title to Revell 1/72 Ju88 A4 - Finished