Revell 1/72 Ju88 A4 - Finished

Marklo

A166-C45-E-9-F58-4631-BD33-0-A9-FF00-E9-This will be my try to the GB bought for a tenner in my local second hand kit shop this is a real classic.

C88-DB7-A6-4-F4-C-4-CA6-8-B7-E-FB55-B03-

This is the scheme I’m going to do it in. As you may have noticed I generally don’t do swastkas, I don’t have a particular problem with them on a model ( obviously having decent sensibilities and Jewish ancestry I have many multiple problems with the ideology behind the symbol, but I digress) however my nearest and dearest don’t like them at all, now on balance I find that it drives me towards much more interesting and off beat schemes, and doesn’t stop me building German WW2 types.

D1-A2811-C-6724-49-C8-A7-EA-C65-C243-EA1

2-E9-B8917-860-A-4-CA8-B621-8-D14-C3-B5-

98548EDA-CA89-4A5B-827F-9996EF7982A6.jpg

9AD3DCF1-914C-4055-AEAA-B5483A9C3E6B.jpg

E65-DD972-D229-4-D8-D-B946-BC214-F763-A2

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 10

It would be interesting to see a three-way comparison between the old Airfix, FROG and Revell kits - the Airfix kit (the only one I've seen in the plastic) certainly has its issues but it seems to have plenty of detail (and rivets!) for the era.

Looking forward to seeing what's in the box and what you make of it.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

It would be interesting to see a three-way comparison between the old Airfix, FROG and Revell kits - the Airfix kit (the only one I've seen in the plastic) certainly has its issues but it seems to have plenty of detail (and rivets!) for the era.

Looking forward to seeing what's in the box and what you make of it.

Regards,

Adrian

I've never seen the Frog kit, but I built the other two, My recollection of the Airfix kit is that it was let down by very "soft" (indistinct) framing detail on the clear parts. That's one area where this old Revell kit probably had the edge. On the plus side, the Airfix kit was nowhere near as rivet-infested as some other Airfix kits of the era, not by a long shot.

I got the Airfix kit again a few years ago when it was reissued with Cartograf decals, including for a French subject. This was before the days of the Vintage Classic programme. But I offloaded it a few weeks ago during a mass clear-out, as I don't really need it. I have several of the "new" Revell A-series, not to mention two of the C/Z version. Since I also have an Italeri A-4 (Torp)/A-17 and a Zvezda G-6, I figured I would never build the Airfix kit again.

• Like 2

318-C8-C47-574-B-4-DCA-BA20-160-B8487-A8
The wings are a little bit off on the outer trailing edge and the top shape. The one on the left has been corrected.

489-B32-D3-21-B8-487-C-B38-D-740420-B56-

The horizontal stabilisers are a little long and have an incorrect tip shape. Again easily fixed.

The fuselage looks ok, possibly a little shallow at the rear. The nacelles are okay but again may be a little shallow at the rear.

7-D50-CA4-C-5-CC9-4-DFA-919-A-60560-D163

And it has raised rivets and panel

lines. Sigh, imho a crime against nature so they’ll have to go. Still an excuse to break out my rivet-r.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Don't get too excited before we officially kick-off next saturday! V-P

Don’t worry, I shan’t violate the 25% rule but based on some of the posts in the thread wanted to be sure I didn’t have a pup on my hands….

I might also add that my DR1 has to be finished Sunday so that’s another reason the 88 will stay in its box for the next few days :) 

• Like 1

How are the undersides of the engines? My Airfix A 4 was lacking the "bulges" shown on your plans which I seem to remember were something to do with a bigger radiator or an extra radiator being added underneath resulting in a deepened bottom of the nose ring. and were not on the A1, which was one of the reasons I converted it to that earlier type. The Revell C-6 correctly had them and your box art seems to suggest that they are there, although the shape looks a little questionable.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

8 hours ago, PeterB said:

How are the undersides of the engines?

They may indeed be a little thin, nothing a little milliput won’t fix. The join line between the nacelles with the upper surface of the wings also looks wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 5:00 PM, Marklo said:

2-D879-CC2-AE3-F-4-A33-9-AEF-859-FADED6-Fuselage sanded and assembled to the wings. The tape is to set the diehedral.

Yes the 88 did have quite a bit of dihedral - in fact on my 188 I thought it looked a bit too much but I suspect it was an optical effect caused by the extended wing.

Pete

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

D3-A4-F9-CF-D00-A-4415-A042-E2055-EB254-
a quick coat of Hataka RLM76 not sure if the underside should be black or RLM76 !!

37719-E23-FFDD-408-B-8-C30-3-B1-B03-CAD8Then some Hataka RLM75.

A7-F6-C7-C3-444-C-48-F5-A300-C495903-BA4Then the reverse mottle with a podcast 37 paint marker. I’ve cut the tip to give a finer line. Pink next :) 

• Like 3