What's your latest acquisition? MkVIII

Procopius

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

...came across a 1/72 Airfix TSR.2 for $40, so the choice was obvious.

Good luck! It's a "Shake, Quake, Ache, and Remake" kit.     :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

I know how they felt, we are slowly working our way through the manual which is nearly 700 pages long.

I have a 2011 Jeep and that manual was 600 page's on CD. Chrysler wanted too much $ for it so I never bought one. I like that someone still gives them with a car. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Good luck! It's a "Shake, Quake, Ache, and Remake" kit.     :)

Cheers,

Bill

I built one once, long ago, so have some vague memories of the awful wing to fuselage join. Hopefully I've gotten slightly better since then...😬

• Like 2

It can't have been that long ago. I built one in about 2012. Oh, just looked it up on Scalemates and it first came out in 2006.

I have a friend who has a good theory about the passage of time. When you are five, a year is a fifth of your life, and so lasts for ever. He is 75, and so a year is 1/75th of his life and shoots by. I understand what he means. 

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

I built one once, long ago, so have some vague memories of the awful wing to fuselage join. Hopefully I've gotten slightly better since then...😬

This is what I did to minimize the horror. Basically, glue all three parts of the upper fuselage together (forward, upper wing, and rear) prior to adding them to the lower fuselage assembly. I think this saved a lot of cursing, er, I mean sanding. It was much easier to clean up those seams and get a good fit, and then it was very easy to take care of the join to the lower fuselage.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just acquired some state of the art hearing aids (for an eyewatering price). Now I can hear everything SWMBO says...

On the plus side, music now sounds like it did when I was in my 20s, and conversations don't get drowned out by background noise.

Currently in the Sensory Overload phase while my brain filters adjust from not hearing full range to hearing everything.

• Like 7

Not a lot of stuff from this years SMW, a couple of the retailers I wanted to visit were not in attendance, so items were purchased pre-show.

However, still bought a few kits and other incidentals:

spacer.png

All the masking items from Hannants along with the Ultimate Tempest kit was my pre-order for this year (take advantage of the 10% discount)

Ultimate Modelling Products was sadly not able to make it this year, and so I had to purchase those items prior - UMP Thinner, AB Cleaner, & primer, and to bulk the order a little, a bottle of Tamiya white top glue.

A few bits of Tamiya masking tape from various stands, along with some Revell Contacta cement, and some new micro-drill bits.

Colour Conundrum Pt II from Guideline Publications.

F-35 Lightning II & Gripen Books from Phoenix Publications (many thanks to them as Gripen book was won in their birthday raffle 😀)

Eduard RF-51D/F-51D Korea Boxing & F4F-3/4 Midway boxing from Wonderland Models along with F-86D "Sabre Dog" (Sabre Dog will now be hidden away until Christmas as kindly purchased for me by SWMBO as a present!)

All-in-all a fairly reasonable take from this years show. Already discussing about booking accommodation for next year, but will have to wait until new year as not showing availability yet on the company website!

• Like 6

Never Ready: Britain’s Armed Forces and NATO’s Flexible Response Strategy 1967-1989 by Kenton White

Britain's Guided Weapons by Chris Gibson

And, printed on demand via Lulu, a hardcopy of TSR.2 with Hindsight, the text of a seminar held in 1997 by the RAF Historical Society.

• Like 3

Didn't go to Telford this year, quite frankly, CBA with it and I was booked to help my dad with his layout of Ilkeston Town station at another of his club shows anyway.

Much to my surprise, I ended up purchasing a second hand Hornby "Super Detail" Flying Scotsman and 4 coaches to go with it. Got to run it up and down the 31ft long layout a few times.

52503032803_380aa539d0_z.jpg

Mrs B is reluctant to let me build a layout to run it on but seemed reassured with my argument that I'd have spent a lot more at Telford.

IanJ 

• Like 11

A 1/24 Ferrari F 40,

https://www.kmart.co.nz/product/rastar-rc-124-scale-ferrari-f40-43115778/?sku=43115778&gclid=CjwKCAiAjs2bBhACEiwALTBWZYjWQke1zqjeWQcT1FRHqAKATucAcSKA36DzTwUnIZ6dGgjT6OmKAxoCdF4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

radio controlled no less, for possibly for up to 5 minutes if I'm lucky.:D It was a whole NZ$19.00. A place holder till someone re-releases a 1/24 kit. Tamiya, are you listening?

Steve 

• Like 6

1/72 3D Blitz Models Pilatus PC-21 including RAAF Roulettes markings . Picked it up at the RAAF merchandising stand at the Wings Over the Illawarra airshow on Sunday. Not the cheapest around but when the actual Roulettes PC-21's are parked nearby it's hard to say no ! 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/3d-blitz-models-72101-pilatus-pc-21--945467

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Hoppy said:

but when the actual Roulettes PC-21's are parked nearby it's hard to say no !

Weird how that works, eh?   

Had a similar thing happen to me with the Blenheim Society  @  Duxford in 2019.  Still, 18.99 is cheap compared to what the kit goes for nowadays. 

Fleabay Secondhandies: no decals, but otherwise complete
15€ for the Thud, 30€ for the F-111.  Leaves room for AM decals. 
y4mIf3UveQGhPaJjj_4zbmc39G-eKSzw6RRzsUHD

And Hannants was giving away the Sova Albatross (1/3 off), so... there's my Floaty-thingy for the GB fixed.

oh and a set of post-war roundels so maybe that old NOVO Fairey Delta 2 will see an appearance after all.

y4myly0B5Gzj_8DIGdoD3oc0jwVJk44pKH8U2vU2

• Like 10

My consignment of the new Airfix Anson has arrived - and very nice it is! The wings look just like I'd expect wings covered in thin ply with fabric on top should look; well pleased with that. And just so that they didn't get lonely on the box on the trip half-way around the world, I got a couple of Airfix C-47s to keep them company - have need to do a couple more civil DC-3s with VH- in their regos. This pair will be a Bush Pilots freighter and a TAA Sunbird aircraft from PNG, both using Hawkeye sheets.

• Like 6

2 new garage doors with new openers.

Bunches of wire and boxes to rewire the house.

New dishwasher

Sadly no modeling stuff as of late.....unless you consider some of the wire and boxes that are for the modeling space.    All modeling stuff is packed away during phase 2 of the house remodel.

Being easily led astray by the purchases of others, I found myself on scalpelsandblades.co.uk  , and sometime in the not too distant future I shall finally be able to work out what the difference is between a No 1 and No 2 (stop sniggering at the back!) and a No 5 Swann Morton handle.......

• Like 4

7 hours ago, IanHx said:

Being easily led astray by the purchases of others, I found myself on scalpelsandblades.co.uk  , and sometime in the not too distant future I shall finally be able to work out what the difference is between a No 1 and No 2 (stop sniggering at the back!) and a No 5 Swann Morton handle.......

Ooo you are naughty ! {in your best Charles Hawtry voice }

• Haha 3

Ordering in some Black Widow CA (heck of a name for a heck of a glue) from one of my favourite online suppliers, I noticed this conversion set was in stock. Purportedly to convert a Bf 109G-6 to a G-4/R3 reconnaissance bird (aufklärer), I don't see why it won't allow me to convert my windfall Bf 109F-4/B into an unarmed (just how I like them) F-4/R3 trop aufklärer (note tropical air filter circled) with a bit of decal fiddling. Then I can paint a pretty North African scheme. Alles ist in Ordnung, Schätze!

Bf109-conversion-set-contents.jpg

Black-widow-CA.jpg

• Like 4