What's your latest acquisition? MkVIII

Procopius

Load of stuff arrived today and yesterday.

IMG_20230310_122240810

Also ended up getting the V force bundle direct from the airfix website, arrived in a stupidly oversized box. With all discounts and cashback included that's £200 of kit for £118!!

IMG_20230308_151714353

Also ended up with this very nice Dreadnought hoodie from the Sabaton store. Not cheap, but worth it.

IMG_20230310_123747961

James.

• Like 9

Some impressive models being bought; I'm going to hang on till the East Midlands show to see if I can get some new models for the stash.

In the meantime, here's the latest purchases in the 33 1/3 series of monographs on albums;

IMG_0170

I've previously heard of Britney Spears, though apart from Baby one more time have never knowingly known a single song of hers, let alone an album.

So the album Blackout is to go with the book on Blackout the album!

Now Fontanelle and Madvillain are two artistes I didn't know existed, let alone had knowingly heard a single song of, but they have books in this series, and when I can find the albums on ebay if they aren't too dear I'll get them.

These books constitute nos. 167, 170 and 171 in the series, of which there are 171 titles, so I have them all so far; a further 8 are due this year.

I don't have the albums to go with each book though, some are simply not available in CD, some are fetching stupid prices on eBay and the like. 1 was never released on CD, one book is about the music of super Mario bros video game, which is effectively a 5 minute loop so would be unlikely to be recorded for sale!

The books are very variable in readability - some are, quite honestly, very difficult to read. I do try to listen to the CD while I read the book, which seems a logical thing to do.

These will be my birthday present to be from my daughter, I managed to photograph them before the wife whisked them away from me !

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 4

Via Amazon

Two bottles of Citadel Colour Base Abaddon Black acrylic paint , restock of my preferred black paint , brushes easily and smoothly and one coat of Klear gives a high gloss for decaling.

From Rubicon Models

Rubicon Models 130056 - 1/56 US Star Set 2 (Yellow & Dark Grey US Star) decals and a complimentary pack of ‘Love Hearts’ , decals for some future “what-iffery” and sweets for eating nostalgically.

From Key Publishing

Was able to apply a £5 code from my recent Aviation Archive Subscription delivery to the cost of the two books which gave a greater saving than my 10% Airfix Club discount.

Royal Navy And Army Helicopters Of The 1970s and ‘80s book , by Chris Goss , 2023 release by Key covering the Lynx , Sea King , Wasp/Scout , Wessex , Whirlwind , Alouette , Skeeter , Sioux and Gazelle perhaps just my copy but reproduction of quite a few of the images is rather dark.

Spanish Military Jets 1954 -2022 Difficult Beginnings book , by Eduardo Manuel Gil Martinez and Juan Arraez Cerda , published 2022 by Key , first of two volumes on the subject and covers the T-33 , F-86 , Saeta & Super Saeta , F-104 , Mirage III , F-5 , F-4C , Mirage F-1 and AV-8S.

Step-By-Step-Guide – Buccaneer – Building Airfix’s New Tool Plastic Kits bookazine , latest release by Key Publications with a mix of factual and modelling detail on the Buccaneer and has builds of the current 1/72 & 1/48 Airfix kits including a 20 page conversion of the larger scale S.2C/D into an RAF S.2B with general and close-up images of the new sprue that will be included in the RAF release due later in the year , there is also a Buccaneer kitography while the historical coverage includes weapons , pods and rails along with their scale equivalents.

From The Aviation & Military Book Centre

Aircraft In Detail 027 Boeing B-1B Lancer In Service With The USAF book , by Duke Hawkins , latest release in the series published by HMH with the usual high standard of full aircraft and close-up detail photograpy throughout in around 400 images.

• Like 1

I know I said above I would leave kit buying to the East Mids show, but in all honesty, when I visited my LMS this afternoon, I couldn't leave these behind;

IMG_0179

The Ryefield link tracks for their Challenger 2 I bought at the Avon show in 2021, my goodness, has it been in the stash that long?? I hope they will be better than the tracks supplied.

And the 1`/48 Roland C.II? Hannants didn't get enough for me to have the Wingnut Wings one I ordered, so this - a second hand snip - will have to do. Checking at Scalemates reveals it is an Eduard rebox, so the kit should be of a good satandard.

I may have a browse for a/m decals for it, though.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That looks very cool!!

Keith

Hi,

it does, mainly I think because it is a re box of the Eduard kit, and my experience with Eduard kits is that they are very, very good. Lovely mouldings, good fit, just enough of a challenge in putting them together, and when painted they look very good. The best model I have made in recent years was an Eduard hellcat night fighter in 1/72, closely followed by the Kinetic 1/72 MQ-9 reaper drone, and the Hasegawa 1/72 Ki-44 tojo.

Excellent basic kits and better workmanship from me;-)

• Like 1

Got this today for some paint practice.

p?i=870a99fd29b8a308d99d84160bd908d1

p?i=2e508b89e4984a84f747c84b68d4d731

Quite nicely moulded with just a few seam lines to be removed. It comes ready primed so will see how it goes.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 6

Here's my latest:

Number one, straight from the wayback machine...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png 

And some vacuform training kits:

This...

spacer.png

...And naturally this.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And I have this kit:

spacer.png

But misplaced the canopy, so I bought this kit:

spacer.png

spacer.png

...So maybe I can cobble together them and pirate mold the vac canopy for the CMR kit. The CMR kit has plenty of decals for both kits.

Also this one:

spacer.png

That should be enough for vac training.

And, lastly, this:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I needed a short winged Marauder for a personal project. That's all, folks...

Dave

• Like 9

They all look fun, especially the B-17 :nodding:

I recently came across, way in the back of a dusty drawer, some 'metalskin', a self adhesive foil intended for use as NMF on vacforms just like that! IIRC it was made (or marketed) by the same company as Rareplanes, and it might have had a pic of a built B-17 on the packaging! It must be over 40 years old, and I tried a small bit of it and it worked like new (unlike the packet of Bare Metal Foil I bought a couple of years back that wouldn't even stick the day it was bought!!)

Keith

• Like 2

15 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Got this today for some paint practice.

p?i=870a99fd29b8a308d99d84160bd908d1

p?i=2e508b89e4984a84f747c84b68d4d731

Quite nicely moulded with just a few seam lines to be removed. It comes ready primed so will see how it goes.

Regards,

Steve

MOTHER-IN-LAW!! I thought that you were dead!

• Haha 5

I Just received these two books from my modeling mentor.
nND371g.jpg

thsQbsj.jpg

A gift because of my inability to build at the moment due to health issues. He knows that I think the Lancaster to be one of the best bombers ever. He also gifted me a 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster kit to replace my original that was destroyed in the 1990’s. So these books will come in quite handy. 

• Like 7

Hikoki Books

Decided to make a start on catching up on a few of their titles (where the price was suitable reduced) covering various aspects of Post-1945 UK Military Aviation , each dealing with what was/wasn’t/might have been in a particular field and all describing a mix of the weird and wonderful and heavily illustrated with images and drawings

From Books etc. Teach for the Sky: British Training Aircraft since 1945 book , by James Jackson , published 2021 before the full extent of the parlous nature of UK military flying training reached the mainstream press - don’t think I have come across any images of a Royal Navy Harrier T.4 in Barley Grey before.

From Speedyhen UK - On Atlas' Shoulders : RAF Transport Aircraft Projects Since 1945 book , by Chris Gibson , published 2016 less than two years after Atlas entered service and Nimrod's Genesis: RAF Maritime Patrol Projects and Weapons Since 1945 book , by Chris Gibson , published 2015 while HMG was still claiming that the RAF did not need an MPA despite the obvious inevitability of Poseidon.

From Phoenix Publications

The McDonnell Douglas F-4C/D/E/G & RF-4C US Air Force Versions book , by Andy Evans , latest release by Phoenix as Volume 2 in their Real To Replica White Series in their usual style with a mix of historical background , colour artwork and modelling builds.

From DJ Parkin

Flightpath FP48080a 1/48 RAF CBLS-100 Carriers & Practice Bombs set of two in resin/etch/white metal , comment made recently by wadeocu in a 1/48 Airfix Buccaneer thread brought these back to mind as perhaps the only after-market examples available so got a set for a future non-Buccaneering project for which I had previously been considering scratch-building.

Via Ali Express

Welbo.Com HS010 Resin Bolt Heads Mecha Science-fiction Model Details Modification Parts , 3D Printed card of 160 or so 1mm diameter bolt heads in various styles to detail some future ‘what-iffing’.

• Like 1

I forgot one. I went on a binge collecting helicopter kits a few years ago, a member who goes by by the call sign Zebra has been building a resin HOK-1/HUK-1 Huskie kit 1/48th scale for the Salty Seadog GB, reminding me I was missing one of these in my 1/72 collection.

So, I went in search of one, turns out Mach 2 did one, a I snagged it.

spacer.png

It showed up Thursday,

• Like 7

Having "lapsed" earlier in the week, by buying a kit before the East Midlands show, I have returned to the book and music fold with these;

Image2

Another in the 33 1/3 series of monographs on albums. I have never heard of this band before, turns out it's a pair of sisters from New York (USA) who it is claimed began the trend for hip hop to sample other bands music. We shall see what the music is like as I also bought the CD - albeit with a different cover illustration to the one on the book. Apparently Tony Wilson of Factory fame was so impressed by this band he brought them over from the States to be the act on the opening night of the Hacienda, in Manchester.

Then I couldn't resist these;

image3

There' some element of crossover in the first book - London Live - to the second, the story of the Marquee. London Live presents a potted history of the clubs in London from early folk and skiffle days to the punkdays, approximately 1953 to 1979. I had heard of many of these clubs, but I was still suprised to read about many more I hadn't.

I had the pleasure of going to the Marquee three times in my life - a saturday night in April 1968 when I saw Timebox, a cruelly underrated act who performed a version of Beggin', by the Four Seasons that I think is better than the original. What impressed me was guitarist Ollie Hassall played a vibraphone during Beggin' and a few other songs. Bearing in mind that most rock bands then played with naught but crashing drums, pounding bass, throbbing organ and wailing guitars, a vibraphone was a distinct cut above the average.

I went the following tuesday to see the Who, with Gun and Jethro Tull as the support bands. I can safely say that I still visually recall many moments from that Who show, one of 30 they performed in the Marquee, and the fact I couldn't hear properly for several days after.

Anyone here who went to the Wardour Street Marquee in those days will remember, I'm sure, the incredible bands who played there, the incredible volume ( way beyond 11) that most bands played at, and the crowds squeezed into the club. 

it was a magic place to be, with a history that demands being read about.

The third time I went it was in the 1980's, when it had moved to new premises in Charing Cross Road, and I have no idea who was playing that night.

Edited by Whofan
Spelling.
  • Like 6

Last week I popped into Hannants website to see if my Kotare Spitfire was in stock yet, it wasn't but I had not long read a thread over on LSP about the Hobby 2000 1/32 scale Me 110's, so I strayed off the path of not ordering and clicked the buy button.

And this landed at my house today, I have always fancied a desert 110 so in due course I will build this as a stress free build straight from the box.

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 7