What's your latest acquisition? MkVIII

Procopius

21 hours ago, Whofan said:

I’m wondering from what you said if CA would be an ok glue to use?

I would think that it would for the hard black plastic parts perhaps more readily than the 'Plastic Weld' which basically melted them into place rather than the usual spot fixing with normal polystyrene plastic.

On its own CA is no use with the white polythene parts but two-part 'Loctite All Plastics' did the job although I suspect will not stand up to a lot of handling.     If you have not tried it before it uses a broad tipped fibre pen to apply what smells like a solvent film to both surfaces then CA to join them.

The kit was a nice break from the usual and an opportunity to try a few new tricks but the only real drawback I found  was the dust from sanding the pre-applied paint from around the joints which caused a bit of skin irritation on my hands not normally experienced using other materials.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice. I’ll be off to get loctite all plastics soon!

As I mentioned, I haven’t done anything yet with mine to cause sanding, but I will watch out for the dust when I do. 

Catching up on the last couple of weeks as my computer died of old age and for reasons beyond my limited technical ability my tablet offers ‘read only’ access.

Via eBay

HP EliteDesk 800 G5 SFF - Core i7-9700 - 16 GB DDR4 - 512 GB SSD Desktop Computer , bought refurbished from Little Lives UK , been planning to replace my ten year old desktop for a while , money has been set aside but always some project to finish first until it decided for me a fortnight ago when without any previous issues it just stopped dead , my IT Guru established that there was no quick/cheap fix to postpone the inevitable and as I was going to replace it anyway saved all of my hard drive files and suggested this reasonable replacement , unfortunately Windows 11 does not allow a return to the grumpy old man friendly ‘Classic Windows’ possible on Windows 10 , does not support my older copy Word docs (thank you Word Libre) and as yet I cannot find Windows Image Viewer but am assured there is a fix out there.

Mr Hobby Extra Fine Tip Gundam Markers – GM01 Black , GM02 Gray and GM03 Brown , from Omniearth in Edinburgh trading as oeshop , competitive price and delivered using Royal Mail Second Class Post in under twenty-four hours of order being placed , fantastic service.

Kits-World 3D Printed KW3D132026 1/32 Lancaster Cockpits And Turrets Seat Belt Set , from Jadlam Racing as a spares source for a number of non-Lancaster non-Aircraft projects in planning.

From Phoenix Scale Publications

Real to Replica White 1 Series Volume 1 - F-4A/B/N/J/S & RF-4B Phantom US Navy and Marine Corps Versions book , by Andy Evans , recent release by Phoenix as the first volume in a series on the Phantom with a mix of fact and modelling.

From Books etc.

Vehicles And Heavy Weapons Of The Vietnam War . by David Doyle , published 2021 by Pen & Sword , approx. 240 pages with around 260 black & white/colour in-theatre/factory images on the vehicular aspects of the conflict and ordered as a prequel to the Aviation & Naval volume due to follow in the next month or so.

Local Tesco

The Definitive Guide To The English Electric Lightning Supersonic Cold War Interceptor , recent Key Publications bookazine , checked title page in the shop to see if it was reprint , got it home and on flicking through with specs on came across content whose wording was very familiar , that was when I noticed the very , very small vertical white type along the edge of the barcode reading ‘Originally printed 2011. Contains minor updates’ , not checked page for page but this tends to be Key-speak for new cover , new and more current adverts , original content.   However if you do not already have the original release it is well worth the money.

From Hannants

Kovozavody Prostejov KPM4816 1/48 SIAI SF-260W "Warrior"  kit , decal sheet describes the release as SF260 Over Africa with options for Tunisia , Libya and of course Ireland.

Aires 4178 1/48 Junkers Ju-87G 'Stuka' Bordkanone 3.7cm/BK 37 , pair of resin guns for something completely different in a different scale (if I can get them to unbend).

Eduard ED32604 Seatbelts USAF And USN WWII Early , pre-coloured etch for a non-aircraft project but on seeing them decided that the Kits-World Lancaster straps might suit my purpose better.

Check Six Decals CSUJFLAG Assorted Union Jack Flags , decals in 5 sizes.

Via Ali Express

Unbranded 1/35 Scale Die-casting Resin Model Assembly Kit Modern Sci-fi Airplane , listing uses an illustration very like the box-art from the MAiM 35547 1/35 Front ’46 Series S.G.B. Falke - Schwerer Gefechts Bomber (imagine an open-cockpit dragonfly-like body , cantilevered undercarriage legs , swivelling rocket engines on stub wings and the tail) but like others of that series the Ali Express item cost with delivery and VAT works out around £20 which is a fraction of the MAiM original and for which the lack of instructions for the 20 rather obvious parts is but a minor inconvenience , third kit in this genre that I have bought this way and reasonable quality showing minimal flash and moulding blocks and fit no worse than shown on a You Tube video build of the actual MAiM kit.

Unbranded 1/35 Resin Model Kits DIY Figure Soldier Self-assembled Soldier White Model American Helicopter Pilots A-696 and 1/35 Resin Figure Modern American Army Driver Resin Soldier self-assembled LRM-35024 , illustrations used in the listings looks like those for Live Resin’s 1/35 HH-60G Pave Hawk Helicopter Crew Set - LRM350025 -Pilot 2 and LRM-35049 - Pilot 4 respectively , excellent fit with sharply moulded parts for around £5 each including VAT & shipping and were sourced to ‘mix and match’ a suitably posed and equipped replacement pilot for the very nicely done single-piece Sontaran Armour wearing lookalike from the S.G.B. Falke - Schwerer Gefechts Bomber.

• Like 3

Kinetic's MLU F-16A finally showed up at casa di Alt,  as did the Hannant's order from the first week of January (delayed because of RM's troubles)

Tonka stencils and OoP Eduard PE sets.

y4m2uZil-RDQb0kdpVp2lagB_KQYkNw6y8ucyxo2

This stuff was faster - Microscale direct order from the US West Coast. 
Phantom data stencils aplenty, and sharks to boot.  Always good to have for replacing the often crappy or nonexistent decals in old or 2nd hand 'tooms.

y4mb2yV4bxAK9NJYQDTj_JkFPbb3POp9vO6G78gf

Also from the US: Milspec Phantom stuff. 

y4mb0HyaQgTQhKgDJ0AZAoNm8AFX0s9kXxvfySvp

Finally some discounted Flightpath etch and other bits & bobs from AMS.

y4mTndLt95Ya4PxIpUq_JM6Qwz4BYxuecRik3CAN

• Like 8

21 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

How many weeks pocket money was that @alt-92?

I consider myself lucky enough to still have a reasonably well-paying day job where we can work from home for most of the time (just 1-2 days in an office building because of the work-social-thingies).

That means apart from the usual slice,  I can put aside the money usually spent on petrol and that's good for between 120-150€ a week. 
It's just a different oil-based derivative now :P

21 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I do like the Kinetic Vipers.

True, especially the new ones.

I should admit to having Tamiya's excellent F-16C/N too, mostly because of the option to build the unicorn early block 3x ones from that like the Bentwaters Aggressors.

• Like 4

Got the Border 1/32 Lancaster nose with stand yesterday, looks great. Clearing the bench for it tonight for a start tomorrow, should be a nice quick build.

It came with an oddly worded sheet that was written by somebody whp's first language was not English, then I remembered, there were some issues with the clear parts? and I guess this sheet alludes to that?  Had I remembered when I ordered the kit (from Hannants) I might have been more cautious, but upon inspection I cant fault the clear parts in my kit at all.

It was £119 delivered, the stand looks great.

Oh, I got a new Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra today as well I'm about to explore just now, trade in for my old S20+, 3 year wait, my time to upgrade I guess.

WoZVI5P.jpg

zM1TNPW.jpg

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, One 48 said:

It came with an oddly worded sheet that was written by somebody whp's first language was not English, then I remembered, there were some issues with the clear parts? and I guess this sheet alludes to that? 

Pretty much that, yes. 
In broad terms: "it's a molding limitation, but the effects aren't quite as bad as has been made out to be. When built and internals fitted you don't notice"
Not sure if that letter means 'deal with it' or 'yes we know, sorry' :D

• Like 1

Not in a great mood, had to bin an entire decal sheet this morning that put the kabosh on one build, the. got to my local only to find the boxing of a kit (italeri f4u) was not the one their website said they had, got it anyway but had I know wouldn’t have popped in which leaves me either having to lash out on another kit or decal sheet or do what is a complex mod to the kit I’m sceptical I can pull of, and I left the damn shop without getting the cement I also wanted. And the supermarket didn’t have my dads whiskey, fourth time in the last week I’ve attempted to get it and failed 😞 

• Sad 2

There I was, digging a bit deeper into something I was writing an article about, and - whoosh! Off down a rabbit hole. Intrigued, I wondered if a kit of what I found was available.

More insulation

Of course there bloomin' was! To make it worse, only one left in stock. Well, it’s now in my stash. Another biplane, dammit. The transfers aren’t quite what I would like, but they’ll do. It’s surprisingly hard to track down markings for Storchses in the middle of 1940. North Africa, no problem. France, nope. It’s like they weren’t flown during the spring and summer of my obsession year.

• Like 11

I have never built a model of any variant of the Hornet, even though I have a thing for it. I have an even more particular thing for the Canadian version. So now, finally, I have this, courtesy of Scalehobbyist:

F/A-18

Into the stash it goes, whilst I research what aftermarket I'd like.

• Like 7

Since joining the Salty Sea Dog GB, and having four Matchbox ships on the go, I seem to have acquired a real taste for nautical kits. Over the last few weeks, I have added the following to the (increasingly sea-based) stash;

ICM's new 1/350 KFK Kriegsfischkutter

Revell USS Long Beach "atomic cruiser"

Matchbox HMS Duke of York

Revell 1/306 USS Fletcher

Revell/Matchbox HMS Kelly

Revell/Matchbox HMS Tiger

Plus, in a vain attempt to balance things out;

Airfix P-47 Thunderbolt starter set (as I really want the decals)

Airfix Scammell tank transporter

• Like 4

My Rumpler C.IV arrived yesterday, from Hannants; 

SAM_2112

I didn;t take any photos of the sprues because you all know what wingnut wings sprues look like - gorgeous!

I still have my Roland C.II on back order, hoping that someone will cancel theirs, or Hannants get new stock in. I'd be very tempted to order a Sopwith Do;phin, too.

But this'll do, aye, this'll do for now.

• Like 5

From Super-Hobby, the Karaya boxing of the EE DC-10-30, destined to become an Air New Zealand one that brought me back from Sydney in 1981.

& in todays post, a couple of decal sheets from Starfighter Decals, for operations Leader & Torch.

Steve.

• Like 4

My Wingnut Wings Bristol Fighter (post war) and Hanover arrived yesterday. They have been drooled over, inspected and put away into the stash until such times as I can get around to making a start on them.

Duncan B

• Like 6

The postman delivered a few kits yesterday and today, Eduard Profipack 1/72 Spitfire F Mk IX, Airfix 1/72 Panavia Tornado F.3, Airfix BAe 1/72 Harrier GR9A and a Trumpeter 1/72 Challenger 1 Desert Version.

The Tornado and Harrier are replacement kits so I'll either be adding some stuff to the spares box or having a spare parts sale in the near future. 

• Like 4

Several model making-related purchases recently - a pair of Tamiya Porsche 911 GT1 kits, a Tamiya Ford Mustang GT4 and a Nunu Lancia Delta S4. And in an unasked for swap, a club member gave me an Ertl Cat Bulldozer after I'd given him an Aoshima Datsun 240Z. He owns a real 240, I don't own a Cat D8H. :D

And not really of interest to most, I guess, but I need to make a noise about it - bought used, but as new, a Sigma 500mm f/4 lens, which is yet another bit of exotic glass to add to the dry cabinet in the hopes of it seeing some use. I should do a camera gear stash clearance sale.... 

• Like 3

spacer.png

It might be ugly, but it sure is pretty.  Coincidentally, some Colourcoats paints for it "happened" to arrive  (courtesy of our very own @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies) at the same time....  They, the kit and the set of Two Bobs decals will no doubt go together really nicely.   I'm already thinking of how to address the wrongly-positioned engine parts.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

From Amazon

Adobe Photoshop Elements 2023 Download Edition For PC , having recently replaced my PC thought it was maybe time to upgrade my photo editing package and take advantage of a 25% price reduction so have now moved on from Elements 5 that I have been running since 2007.

Vallejo 71.202 Acrylic US Army MERDC Camouflage Colours paint set for a US Army not quite tanks as we know them project.

McDonnell-Douglas F-15 Eagle : A Photo Chronicle book , by Bill Holder and Mike Wallace , published 1994 by Schiffer , so only part of the F-15 story but well-illustrated nonetheless.

Vietnam Air Rescues book , by Dave Richardson , published 2008 by Create Space , personal experiences of an operational tour on the HH-3 ‘Jolly Green Giant’ in South-East Asia , well illustrated in black & white with the author's own images but due to the circumstances under which they were taken and the passing of time the quality is variable.

The Fighting Colours of Richard J. Caruana. 50th Anniversary Collection. No.3. EE/BAC Lightning book , by Richard J. Caruana , published 2022 by MMP , I originally ordered this for approx. two-thirds RRP from another retailer at the end of December but it failed to appear and then the replacement offered also failed to appear so then used the refund to partly finance it at RRP , 1/72 scale variant sideview drawings on the inside covers , a few pages of images/introduction and then 82 two-to-a-page slightly larger than 1/72 colour sideview profiles.

From Key Publications

Subscription copy of Aviation Archive No.66 - British Airliners Since 1950 bookazine , usual mix of period images and cutaways from The Aeroplane along with some new colour profiles , covers 22 Aircraft with Cutaways for 7 and profiles in differing numbers for 13 , next issue will be on NATO Fighters Of The Cold War.

German Starfighters: The Story in Colour: Training and Service book , by Klaus Kropf , published 2023 by Key Publications as Volume 25 in their Historic Military Aircraft Series as a companion to their previous German Starfighters: The Story in Colour: Introduction and Units.

Avro Vulcan B.Mk2: A Place in History, 1960–84 book , by David W. Fildes , published 2023 by Key Publications as Volume 19  of their Historic Military Aircraft Series as a companion to their previous Avro Vulcan The Early Years 1947-64.

From Firestreak Books

Tornado Warlord book , by Ian Black , published 2019 by Firestreak Books , covers UK use of the GR.1/4 and F.3 to the author’s usual well established high photographic standards with single image to a large landscape format page following a brief introduction and background.

• Like 2

I have been busy recently. Last weekend, one of my Holy Grail kits went on sale at Sprue Brothers, so I ordered one. It turned up today - the Hasegawa Eurofighter Typhoon in 1/72nd scale. Very happy, as the price with shipping worked out to be the same as a Revell Typhoon.

Typhoon

• Like 7

5 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

I have been busy recently. Last weekend, one of my Holy Grail kits went on sale at Sprue Brothers, so I ordered one. It turned up today - the Hasegawa Eurofighter Typhoon in 1/72nd scale. Very happy, as the price with shipping worked out to be the same as a Revell Typhoon.

I just picked that one up recently myself. It's a beaut! Looks much nicer than the Revell kit, at least in terms of the sharpness of the moulding. We'll see how it goes together.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

I just picked that one up recently myself. It's a beaut! Looks much nicer than the Revell kit, at least in terms of the sharpness of the moulding. We'll see how it goes together.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

It's a wonderful piece of moulding, and I'm looking forward to building it (and painting it). I think I might wait until you've done yours so I can pick up some hints and tips, though 😃.

9 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Cheers,

Bill

8 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

It's a wonderful piece of moulding, and I'm looking forward to building it (and painting it). I think I might wait until you've done yours so I can pick up some hints and tips, though 😃.

I'll be honest, I didn't enjoy building this kit at all. The wing root was a nightmare to hide and I just found the whole thing over engineered. I still have a twin seater and another single seater to build but they have gone right to the bottom of the pile. Others will have different opinions, these are just my thoughts.

Duncan B

• Like 2