What's your latest acquisition? MkVIII

Procopius

Ah, Paris-Dakar.

I miss the days when a privateer could actually make a run for it with a souped-up DAF 3300 truck normally used by his transport company. 

Now, if someone would make this as a kit...
The two-headed monster DAF:

69018-3300-daf.jpg

• Like 6

Ordered some resin/etch aftermarket for the Hobby 2000 Harrier that was delivered last week which I want to do with wall-to-wall stores in the ‘Op Herrick’ marking option so some of these have started to arrive as have a couple of reference books for future projects.

From Creative Models

Eduard Brassin 648273 1/48 Sniper Designator Pod in resin/etch

From SGS Model Store

Two x Pavla 48030 1/48 Martin Baker Mk.12 Ejection Seat in resin , one for the Hobby 2000 kit and one for the Hasegawa boxing long resident on the shelf.

From Amazon

Mil Mi-24 Attack Helicopter: In Soviet/Russian and Worldwide Service, 1972 to the Present book , by Michael Norman , published 2020 by Schiffer as a translation of a German title released in 2016 by Motorbuch Verlag.

C160 Transall: 59 ans au service de la France book , by Frédéric Lert (text) and Alex Paringaux (photography) , published August 2022 by Zephyr , in French throughout however as to be expected the 300+ images are stunning and maybe a motivation to do something about the stack of 1/72 Heller and Revell kits in the pile.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 9:34 PM, IanHx said:

Being easily led astray by the purchases of others, I found myself on scalpelsandblades.co.uk  , and sometime in the not too distant future I shall finally be able to work out what the difference is between a No 1 and No 2 (stop sniggering at the back!) and a No 5 Swann Morton handle.......

Ordered Thursday evening, arrived Saturday lunchtime, great prompt service - well pleased.

Went for a drive today to scope out some lesser known model stores.

Not that much special, mostly RC stuff but one of them had - surprise - a last lot of Model Master paint.  Probably because they stash a lot of Italeri as well...

So I grabbed some not-oft seen elsewhere colours : Euro1 grey & green, US dark Earth, International Red & dayglo orange.

y4mbZba9i3eTqyZE-10Re3DRmdKGoMm6w5WLLwYZ

• Like 4

In order of acquisition today:

1. A baggy and infinitely comfortable gentleman's cardigan, despite not being a gentleman.

2. John Burrow's:

3. Eric Hobsbawm's:

51LIRZ3r1wL._AC_SY580_.jpg

4. Seafood chowder and wheaten bread for two.

• Like 6

It's here, and it looks fantastic.

Halberd's Mustang Mk.X  RR Merlin testbed.

The Marauder I got earlier is safe from building, instead this silver-plastic Humbrol edition will end up on the mat.

y4moKkoP6aJ9TpgziXpEwVIXrz8b6Bmn7L5WHWt9

• Like 6

A few from Hannants

The main reason for ordering was (were? :confused: ) the Roden kits, especially the Blitzbuses :wub:

Others were to qualify for free shipping :blush:

Don't know what I've let myself in for with the MiniArt T34. 😱 It's not going to be a quick build 🐌

23 Nov

• Like 8

Xtradecal meteor decals, kitsworld p-51 decals and some Vallejo paint from etaiker who was offering double reward points for Black Friday though it wasn’t showing on their website as in place, hope they honour it, that takes over the limit for a nice tenner off to use on the new hobbyboss u-2…..edit got the email and I did get double points and it’s actually £12 off nice 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 5

ESM in Houten today. 

I may have mentioned I didn't have a shopping list, but... well.. 

Some sensible shopping may have occurred. 
Unless indicated otherwise all 10 euros (most importantly, both Mossies,  B-17 and F-101 all in factory sealed bags - nice)

y4mrKSjyFbMVF58NU-azTWFlKRu86XHhc0m9Mbzt

Spent a bit more time and money rifling through decal sheets, though - and some less-frequent encountered paints (of which I snatched the last jars of each :P

sheets on bottom 3 to 5 euros each.

y4mIPCm20Kum1qB2yN6r9Lh48mLk2-0RkyilnBb9

Some fun ideas there. 
y4mMZz7jz0A0pvrTD0YqCgpSAfINgSIvEYm35e_J

• Like 10

Most of my recent purchases are bobbing around in the chaos which is currently Royal Mail (well worth the three-quarters of million its CEO received last year in salary, bonuses and allowances for a job well done) so only arrival this week was - 

Via Britmodeller

From Bigfoot – AFV Club AF25035 1/35 Modern US Cal .30/.50 40mm Ammunition Boxes some of which I have a cunning plan for as well as some more mundane uses for the others.

• Like 2

After a really bad day... I had an unexpected knock at the door around 18:30. 

Placed on the floor, was my Airfix/Hornby Hobbies parcel for which I had received no notification that it had even been despatched! Inside said parcel was an Avro Anson which cost me the princely sum of £3.95 all for the cost of delivery only! Those flying hours certainly added up this year:yahoo:

It certainly cheered me up

(My bad day consisted of having to spend time in the town centre, doing a few bits, which I don't like doing as I hate large crowds, and get very anxious as a result - its an autistic thing. And then on the way home, had some idiot pull out from a junction, causing me to slam on my brakes at 40mph.... He didn't like me beeping my horn, as further down the road, is a set of traffic lights, and the driver got out of the car, and started shouting at me as to why I beeped him, and what was the problem??? I ignored him, pointed to my dashcam- as I turned it towards him at my window- and said I was not engaging with him, or winding down my window, and he should just get back in his car. At this point the lights turned green, and I just pulled round his car and drove off, along with everyone else behind me. I think we had the last laugh, as he was still stuck at the lights getting back into his car. The incident was all on camera, and was reported to the police. I was still shaking an hour later whilst talking to 101 when reporting the incident. I was able to get a good description of the car, and of the person from the footage.)

• Like 10

Some books dropped onto the front doorstep yesterday, Carrier Fighters by David Brown, A History of the RAF servicing Commandos by Kellet & Davies & the March 2002 SAM with Merlin Spitfires featured. I'm blaming the denizens residing here for each & everyone of them. That's what I told her anyway, aka The big boys made me do it. ;) :D

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

A copy of Christopher Wilson's:

91ts3qA5gPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

arrived unexpectedly early. Equally unexpected is the Introduction providing some inadvertent parallels with aircraft design!

To assist with lounging on the sofa reading such volumes on winter evenings, one of these 'Saturn' programmable LED floor lamps from FIMEI:

c1419b11-cc0b-4bc6-8499-867f925818b1.__C

Will probably be affordable to buy  Twitter too  in a couple of weeks the way things are going there under EM if anyone wants to club together?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My modeling Mentor was in Chicago today, he was going to close out his deep stash. He lives in Florida and his backup stash is in Chicago if anyone was curious. I had free reign over the whole thing except the 1/350th Carriers (2). So I came away with the following list.

*1/35 Tamiya challenger 2

1/35 Academy M60a1 with blazer & dozer

*1/35 Tamiya leopard 2a5

1/48 Hasegawa F-4J(S)

1/48 Hasegawa FGR. 

1/48 Italeri Tornado IDS 

1/48 Monogram P-61

1/48 Monogram B-25J

*1/48 Academy P-47N Thunderbolt

1/48 Academy Mk.XIVc spitfire

1/48 Monogram F-86D

1/48 Hasegawa F-104J

1/48 Hasegawa F-16D

*1/48 Hasegawa A-4M

*1/48 Monogram AV-8B

*1/48 Tamiya Lancaster

1/72 Italeri AC-130A

*1/72 Hasegawa Shinmeiwa

The leopard is started as is the challenger but will finish the Leopard in @modelling minion’s STGB provided he is fine with it. Might do the Challenger 2 in “The Desert GB”. The P-47N will be in the STGB I'm hosting. The lancaster is one I have been trying to replace since the original I built in 1987. One which was destroyed by my mother when I was in basic training. The A-4M and AV-8B will be Blacksheep planes. I had options on three Hasegawa Harriers however Ive built both and will take the Monogram. Just because of the horrible time I had with the Hasegawa kit. The 1/72 Shinmeiwa will be built in the Salty dog group build. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 7

I’ve never posted within these ‘latest acquisition’ threads before, however thought this latest purchase was something to show. There’s a really lovely local chap who has an amazing collection of rare and OOP books and is slowly selling them off ‘warehouse style’. I’ve purchased quite a number of books in the past from him and this was last Saturday’s happy choices. I’ll be going back for more when the opportunity arises. 

Cheers.. Dave 

52527771052_474621771a_b.jpg

• Like 12

19 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Will probably be affordable to buy  Twitter too  in a couple of weeks the way things are going there under EM if anyone wants to club together?

I'll chip in if you promise to shut it down....!! :nodding:

Keith

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I'll chip in if you promise to shut it down....!! :nodding:

A large part of my work revolves around Twitter. I suspect that it will continue to limp along, because the draw of it has never been the service, it's that extremely important people and the people who write about them are on there and make fools of themselves daily, and ordinary people can get on there and make fools of themselves at them. Mastodon can't replace that, because on Mastodon the instances are very compartmentalized, so you can't talk about, say, anime and then seamlessly pivot to calling some woman who made a movie you didn't like a bitch, to her face. Only Twitter gives its users the raw, bestial inhumanity they crave. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I had options on three Hasegawa Harriers however Ive built both and will take the Monogram. Just because of the horrible time I had with the Hasegawa kit.

Having built the Monogram AV-8B I can say that you shouldn't be disappointed mate, I enjoyed the one I built and bought another. Just watch the joint of the upper wing section at the rear, the only bit that needed some extra work.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1