What's your latest acquisition? MkVIII

Procopius

I believe threads lock at 40 pages, so this is the new WYLA? thread. You will note it has the retractable tailwheel and wing fuel tanks for longer range.

In any case, an unexpected budget surplus due to an accounting error meant that I snagged, all in 1/72

2 x Revell Hawks

1x Revell Hunter 

Masks and etch for same

I know this is a fool's errand, but I want to build the Hawks as late 1970s-early 1980s jets. I don't suppose anyone has finally produced the early version of the Hawk Mk10 seat, I believe the Mk10B? Please don't say it's easy to scratchbuild. I would do that if I wanted to do that. I don't.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

I believe threads lock at 40 pages, so this is the new WYLA? thread . . . . . 

With our buying habits slowing down and maybe destined to get slower I thought for a little while there that Part VII started by Duncan on January 2 was going to see the year out but it was not to be.

I just can’t help myself. Sales are on and I score 2 more Eduard Hurrihistory for less than what 1 Eduard 1/72 Hurricane costs, a very cheap Eduard Tallyo Ho boxing, a bargain 3* Eduard Per Aspera ad Astra Spitfire VC, another  DH.60x and a Falcon 10 and a Pervical Proctor. I defs got a habit.

I forgot the 1/48 HK B-17G that just got shipped

Edited by Cammer625
Forgot what I’d bought again!
  • Haha 2

A bunch of 1's and 0's which, when reassembled in the correct order should be kindle books By Terry Practhett, Stephen Lawhead and Mick Herron

NOTE: Bad Actors is currently 99p on the Kindle store for anyone interested

Also another bunch which, when played in the correct order, will sound like Christopher Timothy reading the 4th and 5th James Herriot anthologies

• Like 3

Unleaded fuel, 91 octane, 5 litres, lawn mower for the use of. Sadly, summer's on its way, and that means that the verdammt grass will need regular attention again. I hate mowing, it's such a waste of time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Unleaded fuel, 91 octane, 5 litres, lawn mower for the use of. Sadly, summer's on its way, and that means that the verdammt grass will need regular attention again. I hate mowing, it's such a waste of time. 

Especially when the house paddock's about 2 acres and (in summer at least) needs mowing twice a week!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Especially when the house paddock's about 2 acres and (in summer at least) needs mowing twice a week!

Currently mowing the 4 acre paddock as we moved the horse on - didn’t realise just how good a job he did. I filled my Landcruiser sub tank up - dunno what it’s like elsewhere, but diesel is about 50c a litre more than petrol. Thank god it doesn’t get driven much. And it cost more than any of my recent model acquisitions.  

5 hours ago, Rob G said:

It's almost down to 3 or 4 C here, as far as Mrs H is concerned we are now in the middle of winter and I'm STILL mowing the lawn!!! Have got to do it this weekend.

From Thriftbooks, The Kamikaze Hunters: Fighting for the Pacific: 1945 by Will Iredale, in very tidy condition & best of all, a freebie, my Reading Rewards had crept up until, woo hoo, paying only for post, which isn't that cheap but pretty good compared to a lot of other sellers & surely cheaper for this kind of book than I can get locally.

Steve.

• Like 1

A delivery from HLJ:

Two 'Tooms, but these boxings do contain most of the bits normally removed, such as the different wing tips, slotted and non-slotted tail, various fin tips with different antennas. 
Always a good thing. 

y4md36_jEmwWyC-8q4uCwC_62dpc3H5kIs0ezpoF

• Like 4

Troffa, who is as generous as he is handsome, if such a thing can be imagined, is sending me a copy of Falklands: The Air War, which given the current state of transatlantic shipping, is a very pricey kindness. I am in his debt.

I felt like I should be ready, so purchased an Esci Sea Harrier, probably the last Eduard mask set for it still in the wild, and some resin thrust vectoring nozzles, as well as some decals. It's remarkable how thin on the ground Falklands (and Sea Harrier) model stuff in 1/72 is in the year of the 40th anniversary

• Like 2

I have heard from those in the know that if one is in the possession of a Cricut or Silhouette, one can cut one's own mask sets based on the image from said existing but unobtainable mask sets.

Allegedly. 

Must give that a try someday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

I have heard from those in the know that if one is in the possession of a Cricut or Silhouette, one can cut one's own mask sets based on the image from said existing but unobtainable mask sets.

Allegedly. 

Must give that a try someday.

I've heard that myself, I keep meaning to try it, but not sure of which machine or what materials to buy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

I've heard that myself, I keep meaning to try it, but not sure of which machine or what materials to buy.

A Silhouette Portrait or Cameo, and some Tamiya masking sheets would do it nicely. As luck would have it, I have both, and would be happy to help if you'd like.

• Like 4

Popped to my local to see if they had a pot of vallejo olive drab which they didn't, but picked up some humbrol 155 and a hobbyboss sea hawk. I nearly also left with an academy B-24H instead but sanity came in when I realized it was too big to fit in my bike bags and also at 50 quid quite an expensive impulse purchase especially as I'd want to get some raf decals for it, though I suspect had I been a pedestrian that bout of sanity might have not happened 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

at 50 quid quite an expensive impulse purchase especially as I'd want to get some raf decals for it

And you'd probably have to look very carefully at turrets as well, as the different variants ranged widely:
https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2020/07/08/consolidated-b-24-liberator-in-raf-service/

• Like 1

Popped in to the LHS just before closing time to pick up the pre-ordered War Prizes book - fresh from the shipping box, hasn't hit a shelf yet :D

And somehow, a Seastar and limited (numbered) edition Flevo decal sheet with Tiger F-16s fell into my hands. Weird.

y4msihbPrtuXMSu8-V6mg0zoFyboRELXZyDwAzLO

• Like 5

15 hours ago, psdavidson said:

Something for the weekend, sir?

Something for the weekend

My backorders list is almost empty. It's bound to fill up again in January when Airfix launch their 2023 range

I got the three Vintage Classics kits myself yesterday. Actually, I got two Shooting Stars. That's on top of three of the DHC Beaver last week. Just like old times, except with better decals. I also picked up the Beagle Basset a few weeks ago, ending a 44-year wait since I saw it in a late-1970s catalogue.

I've had a close look inside the box of the Anson, and while it looks an excellent kit, I just don't "do" 1/48. As for the Victor: I've put the brakes on buying any more large kits for now. The stash is just too big, despite some ruthless cleaning out of kits I'm unlikely to build.

• Like 2

The 3d printed conversion set  for the Academy T-50 which gives it an undercarrige & bays, revised tail fin & various other detail improvements including Sidewinder rails. It comes with some quite nice looking Philippine markings but I'll likely do mine on a whatif Kiwi scheme. The principal of Philippine Military Models, Paul Fernandez seems to be UK based even so the set was £10.00 + £4.20 post, very reasonable I thought.

Steve.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, alt-92 said:

And you'd probably have to look very carefully at turrets as well, as the different variants ranged widely:
https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2020/07/08/consolidated-b-24-liberator-in-raf-service/

A good point, glad I didn't get it, not least as just realised the aifix c-47 has been released and Ill almost certainly get that when it hits their shelves in the next few weeks..... 

• Like 1