Seven in seven

Kelscale

3.7cm Flak 43 auf Selbstfahrlafette (Sd. Kfz.7/2)

spacer.png

spacer.png

This has been a real slow burner of a project. Seven years almost to the day in fact! Conceived in November 2015 it is the 2009 released 1/35 Trumpeter kit #01527. Built pretty much out of the box apart from a metal barrel and a set of Quickwheel resin front wheels it sat on the shelf of shame awaiting paint until 2018. It then took a glacial two further years to get to the weathering stages where upon I discovered all the Trumpeter Flak ammo trailers provided in their kits were pure fantasy, so tracked down the Wiener Modellbau Sd.Ah 57 resin kit. This took another year to complete so 2021 comes around and a lovely fellow by the name of Darius Stucinskas releases a beautiful 3D printed kit of the Sd.Ah 56/57 trailer.

The Wiener resin trailer.

spacer.png

The 3D printed trailer minus wheels.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Work started on the 3D trailer in summer 2022 3D Sd.Ah 56/57 build log and is very nearly complete. I also started building a mountain road diorama earlier this year to display both on, only to realise that I hadn’t really planned it very well. After much deliberation I concluded the 8Ton was just too large to sit at the desired angle on the slope, so work has begun on a less ambitious base. Lesson learned!

spacer.png

Although I had fixed the side and rear panels in place, luckily, I hadn’t fixed any of the accessories, so along with the new sublimely detailed 3D ammo containers and shells, it is now time to complete all these numerous items and decide on final placement. The trailer accessories are already fixed to the roof rack with just a few interior items still to add so it was time to look at the 8Ton

Original accessories base painted many moons ago.

spacer.png

New 3D ammo accessories and additional crew paraphernalia.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

The following pics show some ideas of where some of the accessories could be added.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

The wine box, suitcase, backpacks, and water cannisters are yet to receive their final filter coats along with highlights and shadows with oils. Some items like the helmet require a strap and a little tidy up. The rangefinder box still requires a few stencil markings and some other items yet to be added will add a welcome splash of colour.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The small base it is sat on is a WIP for another 8Ton cargo variant I am currently building and is just a convenient surface to take some pics of progress so far.

Comments and critique welcome, as by now it will be clear a 7 in 8 is entirely
possibe so there will be plenty of time to correct things.

Los

Edited by Kelscale
  • Like 20

• 1 month later...
On 03/11/2022 at 15:25, Morantbay said:

Very, very nice. Love the weathering, love the gear - gave me some ideas for gearing up the FAMO I'm working on. It is a dreadfully plain looker, so I'm going to need to do something. 

On 03/11/2022 at 19:50, Kingsman said:

Well I'm lost for words.  In a good way........😲

On 03/11/2022 at 21:54, Stef N. said:

Superb Kelscale. That will give me plenty of inspiration for my 7/1.👏

On 04/11/2022 at 02:07, glibble said:

Super realistic work! The accessories and stowage really add life to the model.🤩

On 04/11/2022 at 13:14, LeeM said:

Really nice job. Very convincing.

On 05/11/2022 at 20:59, StuartH said:

Stunning. Beautiful work 👏

On 06/11/2022 at 22:08, vytautas said:

Hi Kelscale,  tremendous work!

Vytautas

Thanks gents, Apologies for delay in responding.

Had a little mishap with the trailer last month after it took a dive off the bench whilst working on the hydraulic connection and tow hitch. Almost back to where I left off with just the trailer open doors to add on one side and just a few more strategic items to place to cover up the damage. I can then dress this nicely sized MDF plinth up with some simple groundworks and get it over the line!

Progress shots as it stands.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The trailer rolled off my bench just after this pic was taken. The temporary copper 'L' shaped pin was removed to add the hydraulic hose and it rolled back and flipped off the bench🙄

spacer.png

Crew items are temporarily placed as a few more items still to be placed like a small tarp that sits over the hande-less fuel cannisters

spacer.png

3D printed empty ammo boxes

spacer.png

The two front viewing slits have interior armoured vision blocks that didn't come with the kit. I had closed up the cab before I realised🤨 Likewise, the seven grove's on the sprocket face should not be present but its a bit late to remedy this error now.

spacer.png

Edited by Kelscale
  • Like 7