Big Bugatti.

elderly

5 hours ago, elderly said:

In anticipation of this kit, I've just bought the Haynes workshop manual written by Chas Parker.

It can still be found new for around £11.00 delivered.

'Model Shop Leeds'  pre-order price is rather tempting;  has anybody had any dealing with them?

A few years ago my son was at University in Leeds, so I did a tour of the city’s (then) 2 or 3 existing model shops.  So this place does exist as a bricks and mortar shop, but I’ve never purchased from them and have no idea of their service levels etc.

• Like 1

The Haynes Manual is an excellent reference source.

There is another book worth looking at published by Pen and Sword Books.     Bugatti Type 35 Grand Prix Car and its Variants in their Car Craft Series.   Author Lance Cole.

While I was at Telford on the Saturday I managed to get a look at the test shots for the 1/12th scale Italeri Bugatti Type 35B kit.

They looked really impressive and am looking forward to getting this kit.     I drooled over the MFH one when released last year but could not justify shelling out over £400 for it much as I would have liked that kit.

This one should be around the £150 mark so I can go for it.

Spoke to the guy who was about to repair their built up demo Italeri T35 kit that unfortunately had some bits broken off it in transit and asked politely if I could pick it up and have a closer look at it before he got to work on it.

His reply was, 'No you can't. It's been damaged enough already!'  I guess he was just having a bad day so I left him to it.

Edited by Noel Smith
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

An Alfa 158 or 159 would be nice like many 1950's racing cars like the Vanwall, Maserati and Talbot Lago of maybe even a D Type Jaguar.        Pre war a Bugatti Type 59, a most beautiful GP car would be desirable as would an ERA but very unlikely to see the light of day as large scale kits that are more affordable than the MFH brand.

Not so sure about a Stratos being in Italeri's sights as there have been a number of kits of it in different scales in the past. But who knows?

Well if Italeri want to generally stick to Italian subjects, how about Lancia D20, 23 or 24? Might be possible to do all.

I think I'd love MFH to do the ERA A thru D series as one kit in 1/24 (not 1/20) and maybe R4D in 1/12. Well I can wish...

3 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

I'd love a T.59, but although it's beautiful, it wasn't a particularly successful Bugatti racing car. And you'd HAVE to have photo-etch for the wheels.

best,

M.

If it's 1/12, you'd expect individual spokes, not PE (which would look clunky). Those wheels are a work of art and they are the first thing you look at. I suspect the only way to go for the centres would be turned metal.

Edited by Sabrejet

34 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

If it's 1/12, you'd expect individual spokes, not PE (which would look clunky). Those wheels are a work of art and they are the first thing you look at. I suspect the only way to go for the centres would be turned metal.

In 1/12, the wheels would be a bit smaller than the main wheels in the ICM 1/24 Benz, and rather bigger than the front wheel. The etch in those doesn't look terrible, and there's no way Italeri would issue a kit with individual spokes. Given the radial lacing of the T.59, you might be able to get away with adapting the old Finecast/Autokit technique of running a single fine wire back and forth through the hub and moving around the rim. Still, I think it's a pipe-dream; the car is simply not significant enough. Alfa 158/9 for the next one would be my best guess based on the track record so far.

best,

M.

11 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

In 1/12, the wheels would be a bit smaller than the main wheels in the ICM 1/24 Benz, and rather bigger than the front wheel. The etch in those doesn't look terrible, and there's no way Italeri would issue a kit with individual spokes. Given the radial lacing of the T.59, you might be able to get away with adapting the old Finecast/Autokit technique of running a single fine wire back and forth through the hub and moving around the rim. Still, I think it's a pipe-dream; the car is simply not significant enough. Alfa 158/9 for the next one would be my best guess based on the track record so far.

best,

M.

Wire would work. I know it's academic but you never know. Single-seaters aren't really my bag but ISTR that MFH did the Alfetta an 1/12? Breaking from tradition, I made the Renaissance version in 1/43: it's a lovely kit.

• 1 month later...

Talking of big Bugattis.

There is a company named Wespe Models in Romania who make a number of big 1/8th scale kits, mainly in resin.

Their Bugatti kits include T35, T51, T59, Atalante Coupe and others of the same marque.

They also make a number of interesting kits of other marques in 1/8th scale too, MG, Morgan, Rolls Royce to.name but a few.

The kits do not look over complicated judging by the number of components shown, but would I imagine make the basis for a super detailer to get their teeth into.

On 16/02/2023 at 10:34, elderly said:

I'd like a 1/12 of my 1/1 car (unfortunately not the blue one ☹️).

52692531260_0895e89839_b.jpg  

Is your name Ian, & did you previously own a Volvo Amazon estate (back in the 70s)?  If so, we met a few years ago, as I own that same Amazon, & remember you showing me that rather lovely (silver) Alfa!