Soiled Trousers...

Firstly, what a great finish, anyone who can achieve such a great result with gloss red has my admiration.

As to Lightning displays, I can remember the days on the 1960's when squadrons such as 111 were allowed to have their own display teams.

Informative discussion on that here:

https://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/434378-111-squadron-raf-lightning-display-team.html

As to my own memories the first Lightning in my log books (although not the first I saw) is XM172 of 111 squadron at the 1965 North Weald Air show, that was also the first time I saw the Red Arrows which was only one month after their press launch.

The most outstanding entry in that early log book is:

52474849589_862965128b_z.jpg

ignore the 500' height I was rubbish at estimating heights.

1 hour ago, John Laidlaw said:

I'd never realised how large the Lightning is

One of my Lightning memories is from the days when the BBC covered aviation shows and Raymond Baxter said that the Lightnings fuselage was the same height as a Lancaster.

As to the future, like others I object to the RAF adopting the American name of Lightning II for the F-35, surely they could have used something else and in any case it's the Lightning III. But how about a display formation of F-35's - that would be noisy on after burner. If thta cannot happen at least a model of an F-35 in Red would be good, anything is better than grey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ForestFan said:

Wow! Fantastic! Any plans for further types in the red? Tornado F3? Or perhaps a Thunderbirds F-104?

Great stuff

Thunderbirds F-104C! Wow! What an awesome idea! I've never even thought about that. By the way, the Lightning and Phantom are gorgeous!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Harold55 said:

From your pictures this build looks flawless.  Incredible paint job and this is not an easy one to get right.  And the white on the decals are perfect.  I would be curious as to the decals you used.  I have a set of decals to do this on my Airfix TSR2 - it's a great scheme fiction or not, it just looks great!

Hi Harold55, thanks for the kind words, it was a fun project and nice not to have to conform to reality!

The only decals used were for the letters, wing walkways etc. the tail fin and main markings were painted using masks drawn up by my wife!

• Like 3

Well well well, now I know why red paint is never in stock :D The Lightning (and the Phantom) both look excellent - I can't imagine it was easy to get a single colour finish down smooth and make it look interesting but you've definitely succeeded here. So what's next in terms of fictional Red Arrows? A Tornado, A Eurofighter?

• Thanks 1

wow wow FB !!

that's a great idea...

you forgot something in your description....

All the alarm sirens going on in the parking lot of the airshow....:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Guess how I know it.... Sure the guts will vibrate a lot....

Congrats Sir !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As promised my lips have been sealed!

Seeing your finished model I can only state the bleedin` obvious and say, "Glorious!"

Congratulations FB, on a superb model. Inspiring and awesome subject.

Q

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

As promised my lips have been sealed!

Seeing your finished model I can only state the bleedin` obvious and say, "Glorious!"

Congratulations FB, on a superb model. Inspiring and awesome subject.

Q

Thanks Dr. Would not have worked without your input, shows the beauty of Britmodeller!

• Thanks 1

I very happy to be the next to say that model is just beautiful Peter!  Wow! :yikes:  That gloss red looks immaculate, and the build seems perfect to my old eyes.   I love the shot with the Phantom and agree with the other comments regarding the size comparison.   

Man, what a striking model plane FB! :worthy:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, matti64 said:

Not my video but I was there. worth the  drive and the day spent in pouring rain.

Brilliant, you are a hardy soul to endure those conditions, proved that the Lightning was an all weather interceptor!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stringbag said:

Another impressed member here too.  👍

As a matter of interest, what paint did you use?

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Main paint is Hannants XTRA Colour Red Arrows Red, and l used SMS acrylic lacquers for the white, blue and shiny bits!

regards

FB

What a great portrayal of a WIF Lightning. It looks right in the Red Arrows scheme and would certainly of been the ultimate display aircraft. 

Probably only Saudi Arabia would be able to have enough fuel for a full display season with nine aircraft. 

Thanks for sharing a lovely looking model. 

Kevin 

• Thanks 1