1/24 Tamiya Sauber Mercedes C9

Oh my word yes: I watched Schlesser during qualifying at Donington and the car was belching out black smoke from excess fuel. I imagine it must have been putting out well over 1000 bhp. Never seen that before or since! In race trim obviously power was dialled back, but the C9s (and more so with the C11s) were real monsters.

One of the cars in those shots is in LM long-tail configuration and I recall the LM cars had shorter splitters and obviously the new rear wing (single-element) with small end plates. The sprint wing was double-element with a variety of end plate shapes and sizes.

Also wheel arch vents were covered. But each car was usually different, even at the same race - door intakes, front clip extension length (towards the windscreen) and wing endplates. I'd be tempted to do a sprint car because I think they just look a lot more cohesive as a design. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Oh my word yes: I watched Schlesser during qualifying at Donington and the car was belching out black smoke from excess fuel. I imagine it must have been putting out well over 1000 bhp. Never seen that before or since! In race trim obviously power was dialled back, but the C9s (and more so with the C11s) were real monsters.

One of the cars in those shots is in LM long-tail configuration and I recall the LM cars had shorter splitters and obviously the new rear wing (single-element) with small end plates. The sprint wing was double-element with a variety of end plate shapes and sizes.

Also wheel arch vents were covered. But each car was usually different, even at the same race - door intakes, front clip extension length (towards the windscreen) and wing endplates. I'd be tempted to do a sprint car because I think they just look a lot more cohesive as a design. 

Thank you Sabrejet! How I wish I could have experienced the car as you did years  back. I think Hasegawa have the sprint configuration curb side, I might be wrong. I also love the c11, very elegant looking yet a monster in the track. If only they did not have any mechanical issue towards the end of LM 91 the Mazda 787B would not have any chance of winning. You are correct that the LM had shorter front splitter. The C219 on the other hand was a bit too late for the race but have massive potentials. Have they perfected the C219 it would be a different story. I gather its an N/A engine?

Edited by Heart Failure

2 minutes ago, Heart Failure said:

Thank you Sabrejet! How I wish I could have experienced the car as you did years  back. I think Hasegawa have the sprint configuration curb side, I might be wrong. I also love the c11, very elegant looking yet a monster in the track. If only they did not have any mechanical issue towards the end of LM 91 the Mazda 787B would not have any chance of winning. You are correct that the LM had shorter front splitter. The C219 on the other hand has a bit too late for the race but massive potentials. Have they perfected the C219 it would be a different story. I gather its an N/A engine?

The C11 was technically on pole at Le Mans in 1991. We were there for that one and I was rooting for the Mazdas even before the race. It was a fairytale result. 

The C291 was indeed too late but it sounded amazing! It was a flat-12, normally-aspirated but not really a 'proper' Group C car. Not sure what that sensor is, but it looks like it would measure wheel RPM. Anti-lock brakes maybe?

54 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

@Sabrejet excellent photos. I need to save these too. I have one Tamiya kit in stash. Maybe project for next year. 

That would be great Vesa, looking forward to your build. I got 5 kits of the C9 in my stash and I plan to get more. Just loved it and knowing I had several box, I feel secure LOL!

4 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

The C11 was technically on pole at Le Mans in 1991. We were there for that one and I was rooting for the Mazdas even before the race. It was a fairytale result. 

The C291 was indeed too late but it sounded amazing! It was a flat-12, normally-aspirated but not really a 'proper' Group C car. Not sure what that sensor is, but it looks like it would measure wheel RPM. Anti-lock brakes maybe?

The sound of the 787B is so dangerous! (in a good way) more like a sonic boom of the Concorde, you know its loud and dangerous but so nice at the same time. The flat 12 will likely rev fast than the M119 but how did they address the turbo lag is just insane. Loved the 787B but the kit commands a high price!

7 minutes ago, Heart Failure said:

Loved the 787B but the kit commands a high price!

I've made a few 787B models (Provence Moulage, Starter, both in 1/43) and have the 1/12 MFH kit in long-term build :)

Anyway - enough of that! Back to you...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Not sure why this one is '01B'

Actually this is first C9, so that's why marked so. Last was 06. I think chassis was modified or changed so then B suffix.

About sensor I suspect it's more related to suspension. Brake sensor would be in caliber.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Actually this is first C9, so that's why marked so. Last was 06. I think chassis was modified or changed so then B suffix.

About sensor I suspect it's more related to suspension. Brake sensor would be in caliber.

If you look at where it will be when the wheel is installed, I think it is picking up wheel speed. That type of sensor needs a corresponding 'target' close by, so I don't think suspension deflection/movement would work. 

• Like 1

I recently bought this kit and will be following along with interest. Terrific attention to detail already and excellent pics from @Sabrejet 😎

It will be interesting to see how you deal with the filling job required around the front on the bodywork*, I'm curious to know why Tamiya made it a separate part as it isn't on the real thing. Very unlike Tamiya to create a problem like that.

*I was fumbling around for ages trying to think how to describe that part of the car :penguin: