1/24 Tamiya Sauber Mercedes C9

Looking at the kit itself, Tamiya did a very good job of giving you the option to display the engine. I have also committed on displaying the front cowl and both side doors open. These are moulded in one piece so the only solution is to cut it out. Problem is the complex shape of the car and its curved all over. Very tricky and easy to mess up but I carried on, with a very agonising pace.

Here it is all cut up plus the kit draw first blood, luckily a CA glue is near by to stop the bleeding.

9VROkxi.jpg

QjOaj2N.jpg

• Like 9

I tried to look around and get some after market for added details but its always out of stock and was not lucky enough and if you find one in ebay, the asking price is too much and postage plus customs. So I decided to make some of it out of some scraps that I have. First up are the brakes, I noted that the restored C9 have a slotted brakes but some old photo shows that its was plane but vented (not drilled or slotted). A lot of discussion about slotted or drilled disc brake around and it has its pros and cons but one thing is for sure, it makes the disc brakes looks nice. Anyway, I powered my Myford S7 PFX and gave it a go. Machining at this scale requires full concentration but happy with the results. The series photo will show how I tackle it and the final results.

Here you can see the original disc brake parts and besides it the number of parts I did on my lathe to recreate the rotor disc.

Kr8rdNw.jpg

Some closer views. Each assembly consisted of 3 rotor disc, The inner and outer side and the central side to simulated the vents (which is done by a knurled part).

wXEpJ6x.jpg

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Nice work so far! I built this kit when it first came out and it's all a bit clunky but the shape is good. It really needs vacform screens - not sure if there is any aftermarket?

Thanks Sabrejet, so far so good. Yes the parts are thick especially the curb side body. I have not really paid much attention to the wind screen but thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

After turning the central hub carrier I fired up my milling machine to recreate details on this part.

Center hub after lathe turning. Note the 2mm toothpick

D6eXloI.jpg

Here is the mill set up. I'm running an Emco compact 5 milling machine for this tiny parts. Dividing plate and a dividing head for accuracy. I used a 2mm 4 flute milling cutter to achieved the details. With my glasses on plus a magnifying lens, I still struggle to see it while I cut so I relied on my calculation and lead screw movement to get it right. Doing this several times and maintaining repeatability at this scale with manual machining is challenging.

9rrgPgM.jpg

Closer look at the scallop cuts. 

z27tAGU.jpg

That's a 2mm 4 flute milling cutter doing its job. Depth of cut is around 0.5mm on a 1mm thickness part. One wrong move and I can damage my 3 jaw chuck!

fUOIfxl.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Heart Failure said:

Many thanks Sabrejet. If only we can turn back time. Do you have personal collection on the C9?

Photos or models? I have both. Photos from 1989 Brands Hatch and Donington plus recent shots of surviving cars. I recently finished the Starter 1/43 kit of the 1988 AEG car. Do you need anything?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Photos or models? I have both. Photos from 1989 Brands Hatch and Donington plus recent shots of surviving cars. I recently finished the Starter 1/43 kit of the 1988 AEG car. Do you need anything?

Oh wow! If you have the engine, interior and the front end that would be amazing. Just post it her in the thread as this will be a nice discussion also. I’m also keen to see your 1/43 kits. Thank you Sabrejet! Glad to have you on board

These are contemporary front-end photos. I'll post these at full-size so you can hopefully pick up details.

001 (4)

001 (3)

001 (2)

001 (1)

Sauber always put the chassis number on the front of the radiator shroud - same with the C11. Not sure why this one is '01B' - Kenny Acheson now owns this car.

• Like 4

Wow! Thanks so much Sabrejet. It’s so clear. There are a lot of photo on the net but the ones you have are so unique! Love the detail shot you did.

If the C9 is in sprint configuration, do they max out the engine power? I’m sure the boost will be a bit higher as fuel economy is not needed for the endurance race? And is the front splitter extended? How about the rear wing? I understand during the endurance race they just used the single aero foil on the rear wing, is this correct? 

The C9 is such a beautiful car.