Pom-Pom Quad versus Octuple Mount

Airborne SF

Question for the experts out there.  Is the Pom-Pom quad mount the same as the octuple mount minus four guns and their associated ammunition boxes and feeds.  The ammunition boxes especis;;y look like 2 were left out per side and the outer guns in the center were left out.  Is this correct or were they totally different designs?  As always, thanks everyone for your help.

Gidday @Airborne SF, I don't know about the internal mechanics of the mounting but appearance-wise and size they were different. The guns themselves were separate entities I think, because each had a selector lever of some sort that could prevent that particular gun from firing when the trigger was activated. That way half the guns could fire while the other half were being reloaded.

The octuple mount had two rows of four guns. On each row the two outboard guns were mounted a little further back than the inboard guns, and the upper row was mounted directly above the lower row. The ammo boxes were mounted in two levels also, each level had two boxes per side, and again the upper level was directly above the lower level.

The quad mount had two rows of two guns. The guns on each level were side-by-side but the upper level was set back a little from the lower level. On each side of the mounting were two ammo boxes, one at each level, and like the guns the upper boxes were set back a little from the lower boxes.

I don't have any photos of the actual mounts I can show here as I'm not sure on copyright issues but if you Google the mounts and click on 'images' you should see some photos that show the differences. I have actually scratch built some mountings for my model ships in 1/600 scale. While they're a bit crude they might demonstrate the differences too.

At this scale the base of the octuple mount is about 8mm wide. The ammo boxes at the side actually represent two ammo boxes (one behind the other) but at that size they were too small for me to make individually.

2lb pompom octuple shipbourne AA gun 30

The base of the quad mount is about 5mm wide.

UL310 quad 2lb pompom

As you can see they're a bit crude and simple but they might help to answer your question. The ammo boxes on the quad mount should be square in cross-section, not rectangular as I have them but that made them a bit small and awkward for me to make.

HTH. Regards, Jeff.

On 02/11/2022 at 03:00, Airborne SF said:

Question for the experts out there.  Is the Pom-Pom quad mount the same as the octuple mount minus four guns and their associated ammunition boxes and feeds.  The ammunition boxes especis;;y look like 2 were left out per side and the outer guns in the center were left out.  Is this correct or were they totally different designs?  As always, thanks everyone for your help.

Different designs produced 6 years apart.(1930 for the Octuple and 1936 for the Quad)

In addition to what has already been noted, there were even differences between the individual guns fitted in the mounts. Octuple had right hand inner and outer and left hand inner and outer. Quads had left and right hand upper and lower. 

Lots of information about them here.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_2pounder_m8.php

• Like 2

Below are a few pics of an ancient (semi) dry fit of some etch attempt I did a while ago (with master's barrels). Not entirely different but different enough; the guns are staggered in different directions which is quite noticeable, plus, the entire platform differs as well. Same genus, different species?

pompom_17.jpg

pompom_18.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...