Sherman M4A1 76W Duel of Tanks, Cologne

The "Cologne Tank Duel" (March 06, 1945) caught my attention the first time I watched the video in you tube, surreal, impactful.  Back then I decided to assemble the three tanks involved in the event: the Panther, the Sherman and the Pershing.  This is my first one, the Sherman commanded by Liut. Kellner that was hit by the Panther hidden in the train station near the Cologne Cathedral.   I did want to represent the Sherman short time before actually being hit by two 75mm shells, when it had come to a stop due to debris blosking Komödienstrasse (ironically, "the street of comedy" or similar), waiting for a bulldozer to clean the way.  I used the Dragon Sherman M4A1 (76mm)W "Operation Cobra" 1/35, Soga US Infantryman figure, two Tamiya torsos and 1 Alpine head for the commander, and some resin and cardboard boxes to put on the tank.  The rest is scratch built (cobblestone street, brick wall, copper roof, debris, etc.), the complete process is described in the "Work in progress" section.  Some improvements were made to the Sherman as well, like correct antennas, fuel caps position, backdating to a ventless turret early version (not much to be seen under the canvas and backpacks).  Had some issues regarding references, as the angle seen in the reference picture below, is the only angle available of the tank, so the right front side is your best guess, tried to do my best.  As I knew the Division/regiment/company it belonged to, and the makings were standard, I applied those marking in the front and back as seen in other Shermans that day.  Numbers, or what can be seen, are spurious.

Picture extracted from the film that I used as reference, the Sherman to the right is the one I tried to replicate

c11wjjhl.jpg

My tank inserted into the scene, forgive my poor skills managing images, no photoshop.

5YPsVK7l.jpg

And the results.

VfLjRgal.jpg

Ag301dkl.jpg

R2rsn5zl.jpg

I wanted to show the commander and loader as seen in other reference pictures in Cologne, the gunner is almost completely hidden under the clamshell doors of his hatch, keeping them open by pushing them up with his head, and the commander is barely peeping outside not risking exposing himself too much.

48a9Ozel.jpg

t97AF75l.jpg

S41rdeFl.jpg

S7wnroyl.jpg

Something like this must have been what the Panther saw, with higher debris hiding all but the Sherman´s turret.

Ik6v0Ipl.jpg

The use of colored aerial ID canvas was a nice touch of color for the diorama, chose the bright red one as it was the only one I could find references for, but could have been yellow, or light blue as far as I know.

LrFFO6Yl.jpg

IzSamu6l.jpg

Next comes the Pershing, and I am disappointed not being able to assemble the Cologne Panther, as I could not find any references at all about its marking, paint scheme, etc, and I and not willingly to assemble a what-if.  

marco

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...