1/48 Luftwaffe Traction 11CV (unexpectedly turned into my first true foray into scratch building)

Now what would be an airfield scenery without some GSE.

As i mentioned in the main part of this project, i almost went for the full set to sort of speak, with tanker-trucks, towing-tractors and so on. But i managed to knock some sense into myself and decided to go for something nice and simple instead.

And what could be better than a beautiful piece of French automotive history in some German grey.

H7uKANS.jpg

I was kinda debating whether to do a WIP post for this at all, since it's likely to be a one day build, but why not. Would have probably included some WIP shots to go along with the finished product anyways.

And here are some links to the rest of this nightfighter project of mine.

Edited by kapteenipirk
  • Like 2

Welp, this part of the project just took a turn.

So, i was supposed to, in my usual fashion, work on the figures first, but i ended up starting on the 11CV instead.

I Was looking up all the suggested color, so i know how to paint all the bits more or less correct, when i decided to do something that i haven't really ever done.

There is a certain figure in the two ICM packs, that i thought would go perfectly with this vehicle. It helped me land my choice of GSE for this "diorama"... or more of a loose set.

Never during this process did i think of the wider implications of using that particular figure.

Simply put, open one of the doors, seat figure halfway inside the vehicle.

The problem is, the doors in this model are welded shut, and the side and rear windows are all one piece :crosseyed:.

So, time to do my first bit of proper scratch building.

Me being me tough, in about 5 minutes, i already acme up with solutins that should help me solve this conundrum. They may not be the fanciest, but they should work.

Natural place to start, was opening said door, very slowly and carefully using the newest and sharpest of my blades.

25MDUXA.jpg

Somehow, i managed to get it out more or less clean, without creating everlasting marks on the door or the bodywork.

Some very light sanding later, i think we have a good starting-off point for this sudden scratchbuild of mine.

r7qQ5cs.jpg

Now, off to do some research, and see what the inside of the door is supposed to look like, as well as other interior elements.

One thing is pretty certain tough, no need to do any seat-belts on this one, as it's still an era where people where perfectly happy to fly trough the windscreen in a crash... not that they would be moving fast enough for that to happen...

...anyways...

• Like 2

• kapteenipirk changed the title to 1/48 Luftwaffe Traction 11CV (unexpectedly turned into my first true foray into scratch building)

Interior of the door is now done to a point where i can start painting the entire model.

I think the rest of the interior can be left more or less as-is, other than maby adding a rear-view mirror. There's also a couple small mud-flaps on the front fenders that i could add in no time.

There where a few levels of interior trim, and for my model, i decided to go with a slightly fancier one, with a more "puffy" door interior and a door-pocket as-well.

I also already included little pre-made indentations for the door-pull and the window-winder.

AB7MQAk.jpg

And yes, that is just white blue-tack. The indentations where done with the ball end of a dress-making pin.

Im not exactly sure yet how to best do the door-pull and the window winder, but ive got some ideas. First, time to paint.

• Like 4

With the figures now complete, it's time to get back to this.

And here is where we are now.

BMX9JOP.jpg

Painting of ll the different bit's is more or less now complete. Decided to also add some shading already.

Wanted to go a little lighter on that this time around as i would imagine that staff cars like this would be generally a little more well looked after, tough probably not to the same degree of shine and polish as the ones used by top brass.

So, mainly the interior and the vehicles underside, plus areas around the wheels got a bit of Citadel shade stuff.

GYqWfaL.jpg

lQct1Km.jpg

But, even there, it has bee added a little more lightly.

Some other little weathering will be added, but learning from before, i will do that after the vehicle has been put together.

As for the other paint's used.

OTQkzs8.jpg

Just to clarify, 90 (silver) was used on all the "chrome" bits, while 91 (steel) was used on the exhaust.

And here is the entire reason i decided to do the door surgery.

NWVeexc.jpg

Just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope that the drivers seat will be at the correct height to work with this pose.

Before i can start assembly, i will still need to make the rear-view mirror and the little mudflaps for the front fenders. Oh and also the door-pull and the window-winder.

More details on those once i get them done.

• Like 3

The Scratch built bits are now done and ready to be installed when needed.

First thing i did was the rear view mirror.

Some bit of paper folded to be 4 times as thick and then covered with a couple layers of aluminium tape...

xQWCnXH.jpg

...to create a thick enough wafer with a "reflective" surface. Then it was just a matter of cutting it down to size, (eyeballed) then bent at the top to create some sort of an attachment point, and then colored with a pen to recreate the metal frame around the mirror.

BWqCdiX.jpg

I could have used some very carefully cut pieces of paper to create the mounting bracket as a separate piece, and even create a proper frame around the mirror.

But i think this will work well enough.

Next up was the mudflaps and the door-pull and window winder.

A colored pieces of paper that will be cut, bent and glued into place, will act as the mud-flaps, while bent bits of iron-wire will make the rest.

Uy4R3qg.jpg

Some trimming was needed for the wire bits to make em the right length, but i think they look fine enough for something of this scale, even if they aren't really of the correct shape.

As for the windows themselves. I just taped some crystal tape onto itself to create little clear pieces that can the be cut down to size and glued in.

bp8sy7T.jpg

Should be of a more realistic thickness/clearness compared to the big plastic piece. And because all the windows are separate pieces, they can be cut down to size a bit, to make it look like the window has been opened a bit (the window winder could also be rotated accordingly, if one wishes to do so ;)).

Now, time to put all of this together.

• Like 3

And here is our final WIP  update for this.

LRQcALy.jpg

The vehicle has been fully put together and painted.

As one can expect from a Tamiya kit, everything went together beautifully.

Not quite the one day project i thought it would be, but im super happy i decided to go the extra mile on this one, as it makes this model a little more special, and allows it to stand out even on it's own ^_^.

This now means we can move onto the main prizes themselves. I have some move related stuff that needs to be done before that can happen, but should be able to get to them sooner rather than later.

Oh, and during this process, one tiny piece of this was lost to the carpet monster. Just gone in an instant, and all i heard was it landing somewhere in the distance.

• Like 5