1/72 ClearProp Mig-23MLA Czechoslovakia - “Finished”

dimaADA

Greetings, dear modelling community!
Some time ago, we finished the first test assembly of the Mig-23ML from the Ukrainian manufacturer Clear Prop Models. You can see the results here.
The first assembly was aimed at checking the convergence of all elements, identifying flaws, and seeing what and where can be improved. The first test model was not painted.
Now we are starting the second test assembly of this model, this time a full-fledged one. It is planned to assemble a modification of the MiG-23MLA, Czechoslovakia, serial number 0390324850.

000-4850-1983.jpg

On the banner this board is shown as of May 1983, but I will assemble this board as of February 1983 - when it still had a completely standard factory color.
The first test assembly confirmed all the expectations built into the model at the design stage. However, as a result, it was decided to make a number of improvements. One such improvement was the development of more detailed out-of-the-box photo-etching:

001-01.jpg

The number of photo-etched parts has been increased by more than one and a half times compared to the original version, the detailing of each element has been revised and, if possible, finalized.
This build of the model will also feature an additional Clear Prop Models resin accessories. Details are under development. At the moment, we can demonstrate the resin nozzle:

002-02.jpg

A distinctive feature of this accessories (in addition to surface detailing) is the implementation of the peculiarity of the nozzle sag in the parking position. In out-of-the-box plastic, the nozzle is strictly symmetrical along the axis. This is entirely true for the flight configuration, but not for the parking one.
During the assembly process, I plan on my own all kinds of improvements by hand. The model does not need any recutting, but I plan to improve and supplement the detailing of individual elements.
Assembly begins with the cockpit. The first thing I can show is the cabin floor with all the elements:

004-02.jpg

I made a new throttle so that this part of the cabin looked more voluminous. Native throttle has already been removed.

003-01.jpg

In fact, this is the start. As updates become available, I will post them.

Edited by dimaADA
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Andwil said:

Looking good.  Re the box, I don’t speak Czech, but I’m pretty sure that should be “Pulk” not “Pluk”.

You are pretty wrong and it was really easy to check: https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluk or https://sk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluk

Pulk, or to be precise: pułk (regiment), is a Polish word. Similar ones are Lithuanian pulkas and Latvian pulks.

5 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

You are pretty wrong and it was really easy to check: https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluk or https://sk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluk

Pulk, or to be precise: pułk (regiment), is a Polish word. Similar ones are Lithuanian pulkas and Latvian pulks.

Well there you go, I was pretty wrong.  It was pretty obviously the Polish word I was thinking of and assumed the Czech would be the same.  Sorry if I offended anyone.

Maybe next time I’ll look up wikipedia in czech that I cant read, pretty easy really.

AW 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update.

Continued to work with the cockpit

005-03.jpg

Circled in red is what I added.

006-04.jpg

In this image on the right, a self-made trottle, painted and ready to be installed.  It will be installed at the final stage of working with the cockpit.

007-05.jpg

Other details are waiting for decals.  Once they are available, it will be possible to combine everything.

Started working on the air intake parts.  I glued the wedge and the inner wall of the air intake.  This node requires some additional work:

008-01.jpg

009-02.jpg

I think it's clear from the photo what needs to be improved. Items 1-3 cannot be implemented in the model for technical reasons (limitations on molding and casting). Point 4 was overlooked during development, but finishing this panel line is a matter of minutes. I also whittled down the front edge of the wedge. Its thickness in the model is about 0.3 mm, which is the limit for casting.

Assembled the central ventral fuel tank. On my own, I added external jointing with the help of a drawn sprue for a more accurate imitation of the welds, through which this fuel tank was actually made.

010-DSC-8241.jpg

Built the fin.  I removed the out-of-box hydraulic steering wheel.  In the future I will make new ones, which in reality are quite miniature and specific.  Added some riveting.

011-01.jpg

012-02.jpg

Built the afterburner, flame stabilizer (photo-etching), the last stage of the engine:

013-01.jpg

Edited by dimaADA
  • Like 22

52 minutes ago, drake122 said:

Well, this is great. When will this model be in shops? Looking forward to it very much.

We hope to be able to release it by the end of this year. But a lot depends on the hostilities that are going on in our country. Follow our updates on Facebook.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Continued work with the air intake channels, as well as with the nose parts of the fuselage mated together with the air intake channels. At this stage, it was decided to do some painting work:

014-03.jpg

015-04.jpg

Why did I need to paint it now?  Because after pairing these parts, it will be very problematic to paint.  And now it looks like this:

016-05.jpg

017-06.jpg

017-07.jpg

Thus, when these parts are glued together, the space between them will be completely painted. But first I had to decide on the colors of camouflage.  I conducted a number of experiments, and as a result, based on the paints of the Gansa, the following was selected:

018-01.jpg

I took 2 shades ready-made, and mixed the other 2 on my own.

At the same time, I paint the first stage of the compressor:

019-08.jpg

Also worked with turbo starter parts:

020-01.jpg

I left the etched part as it is, and modified the plastic part a little.

• Like 14

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon

Unfortunately, not yet.

Due to the war in our country, there are problems with the development of some of the details that are needed at the current stage.

So it's on pause for now. When the opportunity arises, we will immediately continue.

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, dimaADA said:

Good afternoon

Unfortunately, not yet.

Due to the war in our country, there are problems with the development of some of the details that are needed at the current stage.

So it's on pause for now. When the opportunity arises, we will immediately continue.

We all understand and feel the pain. 

Stay well and hope it will be over soon. 

Best regards

Ernest

• 2 months later...

Hello everybody!

A long pause in the construction project was due to difficulties in production. The situation related to the war does not allow to produce what is needed, and when it is necessary. The year of the war …

But, in spite of everything, in the end, all the components necessary for the release of the model kit were finally produced. And this means that during this month the kit will be available for ordering on web store. Follow the news about this on the official Clear Prop Models page on Facebook.

Finally, I received everything necessary at my disposal in order to continue working on the project. In addition to the basic components, I also received at my disposal a resin aftermarket, which Clear Prop developed specifically for the release of this model kit. Aftermarket will go on sale simultaneously with the model kit, namely:

1. Realistically deformed exhaust in engine stop position (demonstrated in the first image of the topic, but I will repeat again)

002-02.jpg

2. The inside part of the exhaust nozzle

023-03.jpg

I have already built a frying chamber and used this aftermarket in my work:

024-02.jpg

3. A set of wheels, as well as a mudguard for the nose rack of the chassis

025-04.jpg

026-05.jpg

027-06.jpg

4. Air scoops

028-07.jpg

5. Ejection seat KM-1M

029-08.jpg

030-09.jpg

The ejection seat will be completed with decals and PE, all elements of which fully correspond to the out-of-the-box version.

All of the above mentioned resin parts will be packaged in 3 sets:

031-10.jpg

032-11.jpg

033-12.jpg

6. Moreover, masks for painting the canopy and nose wheels will be released as well (masks for the nose wheels are relevant for the in-box version of the kit, where tires and wheels are cast as a single part).

034-13.jpg

So, the model kit will soon be available for order, and I will continue to review the process of building the model in this blog.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Greetings!

Progressed with the building of the cockpit. The front dashboard was built according to the assembly guide:

035-06.jpg

036-07.jpg

As you can see from the above screenshot of instructions, the building of this element is not an easy process, but the result, in my opinion, is excellent.
Improvements touched the sight (black panel in the center from above, part E34).
According to a similar scheme, the right and left sides of the cockpit were built:

037-08.jpg

038-09.jpg

I have already shown the improvements on the right side of the cockpit, the improvements on the left side have been highlighted in red frames. As you can see, very little improvement is required here.

I added an imitation of rugs to the cabin floor using cut-out strips of black decals.

039-10.jpg

Started putting everything together and installed the previously made throttle.

040-11.jpg

While the cockpit is at this stage.

PE parts were installed inside the air intake ducts and all remaining parts were painted.

041-08.jpg

042-009.jpg

Edited by dimaADA
  • Like 17

Greetings!

This post will be dedicated to the front wheel bay.

Some of the richest and most complex modeling elements in jet aircraft are wheel bay and landing gear. In my projects I always strive to work out all the details as best as possible, so wheel bays and landing gears are usually the most time-consuming stages of work.

The front wheel bay is executed with good detailing and competently in the sense of its division. But there is one drawback - the horizontal axis of the landing gear is molded in one piece with the wheel bay. Since I planned to detail the wheel bay with various elements, I had to remove the horizontal axis of the landing gear. I also removed the imitation of some elements, which did not suit me in terms of its detail.

01.jpg

In parallel, I finalized the landing gear and its seat in the wheel bay.

02.jpg

The front wheel bay was built not according to instructions, but using my own method. The instruction suggests assembling the wheel bay completely, and then gluing it into the lower part of the fuselage.

03.jpg

I went this way:

04.jpg

As you can see in the photo, at the initial stage I did not glue the parts F15 and F28.

The elements of the wheel bay on this photo have already been painted and are ready for further detailing. The missing panel lines are indicated by arrows. On the opposite side of the wheel bay, panel lines should also be applied, but without a hatch.

In the following image, you can see the detail of the F15 and F28 parts.

05.jpg

Then I glued this element and continued detailing. Here is the final result:

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

The detailing of the back side of the wheel bay is left as suggested by the manufacturer.

Any questions and comments are welcome))

• Like 18

Greetings!

In this post, I would like to share the process of working on the main wheels bays. The instruction assumes the following work order:

051-01.jpg

The right and left wheels bays are very different. My recommendation is not to glue the upper part of the wheel bay at the initial stage of building - it will be more convenient to carry out a work with wheel bays.

Left wheel bay.
It is easier to work with, as it can first be fully built, clean the joints between all the details, and then painted.

052-01.jpg

053-02.jpg

Further, everything was consistently neatly painted. To create a panel effect, I painted the turbine inspection access hatch, then painted everything in the base color, then painted the wiring and other details with a brush. Next, I applied a glossy varnish and made a wash. Finished with a semi-gloss.

054-03.jpg

At this stage, the wheel bay is in the "out of the box" version. The upper part of the wheel bay is not glued yet. In the photo it is installed for demonstration.

Right wheel bay.

Due to the design features of the right wheel bay during its construction, I went the other way. First, I painted the wheel bay and its outer part separately:

055-01.jpg

Then, on the outside of the wheel bay, I made the necessary improvements:

056-02.jpg

This is what it looks like on the prototype:

057-03.jpg

Next, I glued the fuselage part,  clean the joints between all the details, and then painted:

058-04.jpg

059-05.jpg

In the last image, the wheel bay is in the "out of the box” version, except for the improvements on the outside of the wheel bay.

Separately worked with the upper part in the right wheel bay to get a little adjustment:

060-06.jpg

Next, I will deal with the detailing of the main wheel bays.

In parallel, began to build the fuselage:

061-01.jpg

The fit of the parts is excellent.
I installed an afterburner, installed a weight of 2 grams in the nose of the fuselage.

062-02.jpg

• Like 12