F-15C Head Up Display colour?

Johnson

Hi Folks,

Can anyone tell me what colour the lens of the F-15C Head Up Display (HUD) would be? Not many photos on web, might be green?

HUD Turned off.

1979 F-15C, s/n 79-0048. In action during Op Desert Storm 1991 (which is why I posted here, not in 'Aircraft Cold War').

Many thanks,

Steve is correct, the combiner glass is actually clear.

The green look is fromthe reflected graphics when operating. It can also partially reflect the HUD lens itself when seen from some angles so you may get a partial disc. Painting the lens clear green is not accurate for a HUD in OFF mode,

cheers,

Pappy

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2022 at 10:14 PM, stevehnz said:

Afaik, with the HUD turned off, the screen will be clear. It is said to be inaccurate to show a parked up aircraft with the green tinted screen.

On 11/1/2022 at 6:13 AM, Pappy said:

The green look is fromthe reflected graphics when operating. It can also partially reflect the HUD lens itself when seen from some angles so you may get a partial disc. Painting the lens clear green is not accurate for a HUD in OFF mode,

Thanks Steve and Pappy. Quite agree and understand about the two HUD screens being clear.

What I was thinking about was the circular lens at the base of the HUD, at the moment I've painted it silver with the intention of using some Tamiya clear to add a tint. When turned off would it be silver? I doubt it.

Maybe green?

HUD green

or red (like the F-4 radar scope when turned off)?

HUD red

or a dull shiny silver grey (it is a lens)? I think this is likely, if somewhat boring.

HUD grey

Any advice much appreciated (The future of the Universe my F-15C depends on this! 😁)

• Like 2

Fwiw, I do my HUD lens green like your first one, which in 1/72 is a dot of silver & then some Tamiya clear green, it adds some interest if nothing else, though I suspect they would just be a dull lens when off, dark glass colour sort of thing, sounds pretty boring though. ;) :D

Steve.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I do my HUD lens green like your first one, which in 1/72 is a dot of silver & then some Tamiya clear green, it adds some interest if nothing else, though I suspect they would just be s dull lens when off, dark glass colour sort of thing, sounds pretty boring though. ;) :D

Pretty much my thinking Steve. Thanks.

I suspect the projection lens would have dielectric multi-layer optical coatings (increase transmission, decrease reflection) so the colour it would appear would depend entirely on what angle the light source (sun, etc.) is at and what angle you're viewing it at. The combiner glasses must also have sophisticated optical coatings (on all surfaces) to act as a beamsplitter and to minimize unwanted reflections - in other words to maximize the reflection of the wavelength of the projected graphics and, of course, to allow the pilot to see through it.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, dov said:

Simple question:

Is anyone in the forum active mechanic at such an a/c?

Could the person make a photo by smartphone?

Would be highly appreciated!

Happy modelling

I do not think that this is a good idea ,as this is a current military aircraft ,and as such, I think the mechanics/technicians ,would be bound by the Official Secrets Act, or other countries legislation.

This could be classed as Espionage:

https://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjf9avZ5Zb7AhUPgP0HHdwBC0QQFnoECBcQAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mtsu.edu%2Ffirst-amendment%2Farticle%2F1045%2Fespionage-act-of-1917&usg=AOvVaw16ppedTlNpiYu1YnPFVTvs

I may be wrong.

Edited by RAF4EVER
link added

25 minutes ago, dov said:

Hallo

Oh, I think you overestimate the thing!

This are all well known stuff for each side!

Happy modelling

I don't think its wrong at all, its a serious security matter. Where I work you have to have a company owned camera registered with security before using it for an aircraft trial, and mobile phones have to be surrendered  before entering any hangar. Personal cameras are absolutely forbidden on site. 

Selwyn

Taking a photo in operational aircraft, without permission (unlikely to be given), isn't a good idea.

But the plane I'm making is 1979, operational in 1991 and is probably either scrap by now or sitting in the sun in the Arizona desert.

What would help (not me, I've painted mine) is a photo from a museum. And there are plenty of F-15s  sitting in museums and they're probably not that worried about espionage.

I'm surprised I can't find a pic. I've googled everything I could think of, HUD, instrument coaming, F-15 cockpit etc, etc and no photos of the top of the F-15 HUD nor the other bits and bobs on either side. I've added them based on others builds, no idea how accurate they are but at 1/72 it's not a serious issue.

Cheers,

We're not bound by any secrets acts, especially in my trade, but don't really take that many photos. 

I've looked through the photos I do have but none are showing the hud area clear enough. If I find anything useful I'll update. 

• Thanks 1

For your timescale everything in that area is clear when powered down, that is the CRT and the Combiner glass. On later upgraded a/c the Combiner glass shows as prismatic due to the coating on the glass. 

Edited by scotthldr
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2022 at 9:09 PM, scotthldr said:

For your timescale everything in that area is clear when powered down, that is the CRT and the Combiner glass. On later upgraded a/c the Combiner glass shows as prismatic due to the coating on the glass.

I agree, but for the model (this was several days ago) I chose to portray the CRT projector lens with a green tint. Possibly this is not entirely realistic but from most angles it is dark, unless a light is shining down from above as in the photo below.

I filled the bottom lens of the Eduard CRT lens frame with a coat of gloss silver, then a coat of Tamiya X25 Clear Green and finally multiple coats of acrylic gloss varnish.

Dscf4014

At 1/72 scale I hope this is acceptable.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Eagle85 said:

We're not bound by any secrets acts, especially in my trade, but don't really take that many photos. 

I've looked through the photos I do have but none are showing the hud area clear enough. If I find anything useful I'll update. 

If you  are in UK (Your location says cambridge) you are bound by National legislation i.e. The Official Secrets Act.

Selwyn