Decals over gaps

Theo79

Hi everyone

nice to meet you all! This forum has helped me do much but this time I have a question I haven’t seen asked before

i need to apply a decal over a gap. I’ve removed some panels on the wings and now part of the roundel decal will be over this gap. 
what’s the best approach? Measure everything very accurately and cut the decal while it’s still dry on its sheet? Any other option? 
thanks! 

Can you reposition the panel back into place and hold it there with Blue tac?

Then apply the decal and then very carefully cut the decal

Thats how I did the under-wing numbers on this Vampire

Vampire%20Mk.5%20502%20sqd,%2025s-M.jpg

Of course it will depend on the situation, but often if the overhang isn't too bad, you can just apply the decal as is with the open bit hanging in mid air, then when it's dried off just a little, use a brand new scalpel blade to slice off the excess. If the removed panel is retained and needs the extra bit of decal to match up (undercarriage covers for example, as per Black Knight's example), his suggestion of applying with the panel in place is a good one (again cutting the decal with a fresh knife when it has bedded down, but not fully dry). 

Another option that I've used in the past is to get a good idea of where the decal goes, and then place the panel in the correct spot on top of it, using it as a 'jig' or stencil to cut out the required shape while still on the backing paper; the decal can then be applied in multiple pieces to the various panels and bits of model. This becomes dodgier the more alignment needed (e.g. a decal that needs to locate very exactly between multiple features. 

But I'd say all solutions must involve a brand-new scalpel blade!

Andy

Thanks both! Yes I agree a new scalpel is a must! 
I’ll try to place the panel back with some bluetac but if the gap is too big I’m tempted to try using the photoetched replacement panel as a stencil as you suggested. 
mill post some photos when done. Thanks again for the advice, you guys are great!