are Russian armed forces using T-72S (Shilden)

cicarista

Hi,

I know currently they are using T-72AV, B, BA, B1, B3 and B3M, but what about T-72S?

That's the export version with only 155 ERA bricks.

I've seen pictures of the one used on Tank biathlon but not "in combat"

spacer.png

Any info or picture would be more than welcome, because I would love to bulid one.

Edited by cicarista

I think you may have answered your own question with the words "export version".  The Soviet Union and Russian Federation have not generally used export versions of their equipment as they are usually dumbed-down or capability-reduced in some way compared to the Soviet/Russian service versions.  That was the whole point of the export variant.

The only possibility would be for Russia to have taken possession of undelivered export orders awaiting shipment to other customers since this crisis blew up in 2014.  But I'm sure that would have hit the media as there would have been some hacked-off customers.  And Russia has been pushing the T-90 for export recently.  There is a possibility that the export version might have been provided to insurgent separatist forces in Luhansk and Donetsk, but supply from Russian depot stock seems more likely than new-build.  And that would not count as Russian service.

With various flavours of T-72 being provided to Ukraine by friendly nations it is perhaps more likely that export versions would appear in their service.

But, as ever, there is ample material out there to research and you seem to know the key ID features.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's dumbed down version but I think it still beats old T-62's...

Anyway, this was the photo that got me searching the web for more info, but have not find my answer...

spacer.png

Edited by cicarista

That photo is not recent Russian as the tanks do not have the St George Star and ribbon logo on the side, commonly applied for parades. Myanmar and Iran are the only listed users I can find of the T-72S, as opposed to M or B - the S being a B variant.  That photo could be in Myanmar, although it doesn't look like their usual parade site in Naypyidaw.  Tank colour is about right for Myanmar.  Iranian tanks are usually sandy camouflaged.

Spotting T-72 variants in images has become a degree-level subject........

• Like 1

Yes, it does not look like Iranian one...

Looked for better quality photo and found one on Pinterest so changed it in the earlier post.

But then I also found this photo and it does appear to have BTR-80's, UAZ's, but most importantly, Russian flag in the background.

So maybe my search is done :)

spacer.png

Edited by cicarista

I found such information.

T-72S (1987) — export version of the T-72B tank. The original name was the T-72M1M tank. The main differences are: 155 containers of mounted dynamic protection (instead of 227), the absence of a superstructure on the turret, the booking of the hull and turret is kept at the level of the T-72M1 tank, a different set of ammunition for the cannon. They entered service with the Russian army in 1993 after the disruption of a number of exports.

In the photo T-72S before the start of the parade. Moscow, May 9, 1995.

spacer.png

Parade. Moscow, May 9, 1995.

spacer.png

Edited by Dmitriy1967
  • Like 2

Awesome! Thank you @Dmitriy1967

So they do use them for sure 👌

I wonder why those are not listed anywhere on the lists of models used by Russian armed forces 🤔

Your pictures are from '95, the first one I posed is from '00's or even newer and the all green ones look even newer.

So It would appear T-72S are used since '93 onward...

Anyway, it's time to build :)

• Like 1

Oh, yeah, I have another question, if someone can confirm...

On the pictures I got there is "missing" box on left side of the turret.

Is that the case on all turrets and that is the absence of a superstructure on the turret as mentioned above or just on this particular tank?

Dmitriy, unfortunately the video does not show left side 😢 

spacer.png

• Like 1

Yes, the export T-72S tanks manufactured for Iran had no ZIP box on the left side of the tower.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I do not know whether or not these boxes were installed on tanks that remained in Russia .

Some links that may be useful. It's in Russian, but I think Google translator will help you understand.

Modifications of the T-72

External differences of T-72 modifications

Export and licensed production of T-72

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

Yes, the export T-72S tanks manufactured for Iran had no ZIP box on the left side of the tower.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I do not know whether or not these boxes were installed on tanks that remained in Russia .

Some links that may be useful. It's in Russian, but I think Google translator will help you understand.

Modifications of the T-72

External differences of T-72 modifications

Export and licensed production of T-72

Awesome! Thank you for further info!

• Like 1