Master Box Wee Warrior 72nd scale Austin Series IV armoured car - finished! (finally :) )

😀p?i=c7e362911c04cd332295f878d2de8311

p?i=b158d92052bb101daf7e8b6a2330d72c

Figured it was about time I start my WIP for this Armoured Car and Half Track group build.

Model making for me is not longer about building to add another to a collection - been there, done that, several times over. Now I just chase squirrels and shiny objects. I now indulge whatever catches my fancy, try different things, explore other possibilities, and new challenges - that is what helps keep the hobby new and fresh.

Of late I have started to chase the 1/72 scale AFV squirrel and this Master Box 1/72 Austin Series IV armoured car is my first foray into the world of these tiny warriors. Of late I have been reading, enjoying, learning new things, and taking inspiration from several very well done books - Dr. Alex Clarks Small-Scale Armour Modelling, Ammo Mig's Next Level: Perfection - Taking 1/72 Scale to the Limit by Sergey Golikov, and AK Interactive Books Little Warriors volumes 1 and 2.

The parts count is quite low and you might think that for a first 1/72 AFV build I could assemble and be ready for paint lickety split. Not so. I just can't leave well enough alone. So far, I have snipped the bulk of parts from the trees and have assembled a couple of simple subassemblies and then disappeared down a bunny hole working on developing a feel for some of the techniques for adding some extra detail to thus Little Warrior. I know 1/72 AFV's are often referred to as Braille Scale but for some reason I just don't care for that label. I will have live with that label but whenever I can I will use something else.

p?i=04e373bd58d2db4d30fc58697faa3b3a

Tiny isn't it? 

First off, down the bunny hole, I started to fuss over "fixing" the grab handles on the sides of the engine cover. There are two one each side plus some other L shaped handle. One the model these are molded as simple blobs as there are limits to injection molding such things in this scale.  You can see the real items in this picture:

p?i=4a23ebd5da1e3c55b858975517643a84

Part of the challenge of making such tiny parts is deciding what material to use ( wire of course in this case ) and what size. I have some 30 AWG and 36 AWG wire on hand and will soon have 32 AWG and 34 AWG. I have made a few test pieces - 30 AWG looks a bit too large and 36 AWG a bit too small, I may have to flip a coin as to whether 32 or 34 looks best.  My best guess on the real vehicle these would have been about 1/4" to 5/16" ( 6mm to 8mm ) in diameter and in 1/72 scale this would be close to 36 AWG, actually a bit smaller but as noted 36 AWG "looks" a bit small. At the moment I leaning towards 34 AWG but will know better after I make another test piece.

p?i=32531417b3585e4ac3ec1b9fabe9b06b

the large wire is 30 AWG ( 0.010" / 0.255mm diameter) and the small wire is 36 AWG ( 0.005" 0.126mm ) - AWG is American Wire Gauge which for any given gauge number is smaller than SWG Standard Wire Gauge.  How do I make such small holes - 0.3mm and 0.2mm ?  More on that latter.

Some of the Series IV cars had a gas/oil/water can carrier rack on the left side just rear of the fender which was made from angle shaped metal. 

p?i=4e1bca305db6a3f2e2203e4ca0ba8675

The bit provided in the kit is Ok but not great and I just have to try my hand at going a bit further. To that end I have been experimenting with making angle iron shaped bits out of 0.003" / 0.1mm soft copper sheet. My first attempt saw a nice piece having a dimension of 1mm x 1mm - second attempt was 0.5mm x 0.5mm so making this out of angle iron made from thin copper sheet seems doable.

p?i=7fb640dbc47105073a795196ce5a17ef

Not every Series IV car had this rack. Incidentally, if you search around for information on the Austin armoured cars the Series IV seem to be sometimes referred to as the 1918 pattern; there may be some difference between the Series IV and 1918 pattern but I have not been able to put my finger on what those difference may have been.

I still haven't decided on colour scheme, too early to decide.

Work continues. I didn't start this thinking it would be an easy build - nothing ventured, nothing gained. This is light at the far end of that bunny hole.  I hope that Mr. Bunny lets me pass without too many distractions.

cheers, Graham 

Edited by ColonelKrypton
update
  • Like 13

• 4 weeks later...

Three weeks since my last and first update on this project but work is moving along albeit at a slow pace - too many other things distracting this build.

I had intended on this being a simple build as my first adventure in 72nd scale AFV modeling but I just can't leave well enough alone and before I knew it I was messing around with what and how to add some of the those extra details.

There are two highly visible grab handles on each side of the engine compartment. These are represented by simple blogs of plastic in the kit. Grab handles are easy and these had to be replaced. After some fussing on what size wire to use I settled on 34 SWG and made the mods. The upside down L shaped handle need a little more finesse to get it into shape.

p?i=3b96020bdbdc9cae4acbcc207c85663d

Some of the molded on rivets look a bit too large and out of scale but so far I have resisted going down that bunny hole of replacing some or all.

One of the other mods I want to do is to open up the front flap.  This is molded shut on the model and their is no option to have it open. Should be an easy bit to make out of some sheet styrene. This will preserve the original in the event I make a mess of it and I can fall back to a close front.  Opening up the front cover means that there will be some view into the engine compartment and the kit does provide a radiator but I just couldn't let that blob of plastic stand as is even though not much of it will be seen.  Cut out the middle, make something that looks like a radiator core, and add a filler cap and presto - much better than the original lump.  The filler cap was made from a piece of 1mm brass rod with a short section reduced in size. Also of note is the sway bar made from bits of plastic rod and square bits that I added to the rear end. 

p?i=431587d288070d7dcb871476342058ea

Painted and assembled radiator:

p?i=fa9d4e41c8799139b12851936c676527

The brass screen is 80 meh brass screen. Something having a bit smaller mesh size may have looked a bit more in scale but I used what I had on hand and besides it TLAR ( that looks about right ).

When I painted the radiator I also started painting the rest of the chassis plus some black on the inside of the engine compartment but not photo's where taken ( I forgot ).

Once I start painting I start to feel like I am making progress and everything starts to fall into place. I still will not be rushing but hopefully my next update be a lot sooner than three weeks hence.

cheers, Graham

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I think you are crazy doing this sort of detailing in this scale! You'll go blind man!

Making models for me has become about new challenges. Adding smaller and smaller details even if they are not clearly visible is just one of those challenges. Thinking of ways to do something and then trying - as you said, makes for a big grin.  It's all about the journey.

I keep promising myself that one of these days I will just build something straight out of the box, just for kicks. Maybe ;)

cheers, Graham

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes! Almost two weeks has gone by. Time for another quick update.

The Austin armoured car is starting to look like what it is supposed. There are not very many parts to the kit but I keep getting lost in fussing over small details. Some painting has been done which is a real positive step in the right direction.  I should have ( hindsight is always 20-20 isn't it?) some more bits before assemble but I did manage with some masking to get where I wanted. 

The two turrets have required some re-building. The original detail is very simple and a bit so it became another exercise in making a bit better. A new ring round the top of the turrets, a new top piece, and some rivets to bring out the details.  The riveting was done with Archer resin rivet decals. It took some fussing to get them on ( tiny, tiny pieces of decal ;) ) and aligned so that the they looked about right. Couldn't have done it without Tamiya's decal adhesive  https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87176/index.htm  Tamiya has another similar product that is similar but also softens the decals as well https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87193/index.htm - I will have to find some and give it a try as it may have worked better than just the adhesive. Come to think of it,  I wonder if I could just mix the Tamiya Decal Adhesive with some decal softener solution and make my own ?  The trouble I was having was that after I trimmed the rivet decals to be very narrow there was just not much in the way of the clear decal film left and not a lot a sticky. The adhesive helped but in looking over the rivets now that I have been handling the turrets a bit too carelessly, I think I may have to redo some of the riveting :(

p?i=25ed0a8c5fe5101899c3464d2767b453

Once I get the turrets sorted out I can get to finishing up the new front end piece with open hatch and then finally get to painting the main body. 

cheers, Graham 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Courageous said:

I'm liking the look of that.

Thank you for that Stuart.

I am still fussing over the rotating turrets. The Archer rivet decals are OK but are not really the right solution for what I was trying to do.

There is not much clear decal material left when cut very close to the resin rivets and even with extra Tamiya decal adhesive they are still very delicate. It doesn't take much handling to cause them to loosen up and disappear stuck on my fingers or just disappear onto the workbench. I think they would be a bit more robust under a coat of primer and better still when used on longer more flat surfaces.

I have other means to make rivets - wee tiny solder balls, nail caviar, and my fall back punching rivets outs of artists drawing paper with a jewellers beading tool.

Fifth time is the charm in this case. I have removed all the decal rivets and am in the process of re-riveting using the later method. 

I am itching to get over this hump in this build so I get on with paint and finishing it up so I can move onto to something else before I lose interest. 

cheers, Graham

• Like 3

It's a very interesting shape. I'm reminded of those big cavalry horses, the ones in the band that carry the kettledrums either side of their shoulders. 

I'm usually left cold by 1/72 armoured vehicles which I find remind me of the toys of my childhood but the extra details on this one have made a definite difference. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

kettledrums either side of their shoulders

Indeed, I see that now too. 

These early design pre tracked armoured vehicles are interesting subjects; attempts to replace horse and buggy with the new fangled motorized vehicles to create mobile armed and armoured land based versions of those warships which the military was more familiar with. Some where very simple and not very refined ( very early designs and the likes of types made from model T's  for example ) and others developed into quite refined vehicles ( later marks of the Austin's and Peerless, the Rolls Royce types, the Lancia 1ZM for example ) with some serving well into the Second World War.

The early series I Austin's were much more utilitarian in appearance to the later marks, the later types appearing to be much more refined and suited to purpose. The looks of many of these early armoured vehicles always struck me as being right in line with the modern "Steampunk" genre.  And, mentioning steam, there were in fact several early attempts at using steam to power some early AFVs, the Holt steam tank being one.

I like the subject but I am starting to think that 72nd scale is just a bit on the small side for these types. For my first effort in the world of 72nd scale AFV's I might have chose wiser with something like a modern AFV type which would have been nearly twice as long and wide and taller. 

I too have always found 72nd scale ( and 1/76 ) kits to be too simplified and a bit toy like - simplified shapes and soft details and indeed the older kits are very much like that but they have their appeal and their proponents. I am however discovering that the modern design and manufacture 72nd kits can and do have considerably better scale shape and very refined details - a result of better, more refined manufacturing techniques both in the creation of the molds and the injection molding process itself.  3D printing is another technology which is changing the world of these wee warriors - I have a set of 3d printed 72nd scale individual workable track links ( Smodel from China ) who also produce some interesting 3d printed 72nd AFVs.

Choice of scale is an interesting subject to which I have recently been giving a lot. I have no need to keep everything to one scale, never really did. Some subjects are more suited to smaller scales ( a 1/144 scale Antonov AN-225 or a 1/350 cruiser ) rather than a larger scale ( 1/16 scale for example ). I have also started to explore 48th scale AFVs as well as messing about with 72nd scale. 48th scale seems about right for many subjects like this Austin armoured car and similar subjects. Still, Miniart has some very nice 35th scale Austin Armoured kits that are tempting and other interesting subjects from Copper State Models but where is the challenge in following the crowd?

cheers, Graham

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Without further ruminations nor much fanfare, Master Box Wee Warrior 72nd scale Austin Serie IV armoured car is complete.

I spent a lot of time trying to create a proper can carrier that appears on the left side of the vehicle just behind the fender and just in front of the step. I tried folding 0.003" soft copper shim but had only some success. I tried cutting down some suitable looking Evergreen angle and channel to an appropriate size but had only some success.  The carrier on the vehicle looks to be made from angle metal and is maybe 35 to 50mm on a side (of the angle). This puts the 72nd size around 0.5mm. The soft copper shim was just too soft and the Evergreen plastic bits were ending up a bit too chunky.

In the end I settled on using Evergreen 0.020" ( 0.5mm ) square rod to fashion the carrier. First attempt was too long but I managed to trim it down to size and it now looks OK.

I learned a lot from this my first foray into the Wee Warrior scale of 72nd AFVs most importantly being that this subject in this scale is a  bit too small for my intentions of adding bits of extra detail.  Modern battle tanks are about 50% larger and should be more to my liking in this scale.

Painting was done by spray can - Mr Surfacer black for the undersides, Tamiya Desert Sand for the upper main colour. I have been experimenting with Dr PH Martin's India Inks used a washes and glazes. The darker stripping was done using   Dr PH Martin's India Ink Sepia thinned with Tamiya X-20A and applied with a small flat brush. The ink was further thinned and applied as local pin washes. A bit of darkish pigments selectively applied finished it off. I was tempted to do some dry brushing but I had to draw the line and declare this one finished.

Colour scheme was chosen to mimic what is seen in this image. Supposed to be an Indian pattern vehicle post Great War

p?i=ef873855fd601b47291ae39e9c671557

Finished pictures in the gallery.

cheers, Graham

• Like 5

• ColonelKrypton changed the title to Master Box Wee Warrior 72nd scale Austin Series IV armoured car - finished! (finally :) )
9 hours ago, ColonelKrypton said:

I spent a lot of time trying to create a proper can carrier that appears on the left side of the vehicle just behind the fender and just in front of the step. I tried folding 0.003" soft copper shim but had only some success. I tried cutting down some suitable looking Evergreen angle and channel to an appropriate size but had only some success.  The carrier on the vehicle looks to be made from angle metal and is maybe 35 to 50mm on a side (of the angle). This puts the 72nd size around 0.5mm. The soft copper shim was just too soft and the Evergreen plastic bits were ending up a bit too chunky.

Graham, I know exactly where you're coming from. I've spent the past week trying to figure out how to make the two ventilators on each side of the engine covers on my Israeli A/C. A complete PITA.

I've just gone through your build thread and I have to say that if I didn't already now that it was braille scale, I would have taken it to be 1/35th. Well done for getting that amount of detail into one so small. Great work.

John.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Graham, I know exactly where you're coming from. I've spent the past week trying to figure out how to make the two ventilators on each side of the engine covers on my Israeli A/C. A complete PITA.

I've just gone through your build thread and I have to say that if I didn't already now that it was braille scale, I would have taken it to be 1/35th. Well done for getting that amount of detail into one so small. Great work.

Thank you John. 

I thrive on the challenge of trying new things, extending my skill set, reaching for that something that is just beyond my grasp. Sometimes I succeed, often I fail but always learn something new. Having a go at something in this small scale ticked off all of those boxes.

I enjoyed this build. So much so that there is enough time left in the group build that I have started another similar kit but this time I will take an path of out of the box. The kit for this second build is a modern very well done 72nd scale and should build up nicely without feeling the need to add a lot of extra detail. This Master Box kit was a nice kit, head and shoulders above in quality and design than those much earlier Airfix 72nd and 76th AFV kits and the other kit I am starting is head and shoulders above the Master Box. I will be starting another build thread shortly.

cheers, Graham

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trevor L said:

Brilliant. It looks convincingly real in the b&w picture.

Trevor, thank you for thinking that the B&W photo is one of my model. I would have succeeded greatly if I could have build this 72nd scale kit into something that looked that good. Fact is, the B&W photo is one of the real vehicle and was the inspiration for my model. 

cheers, Graham

24 minutes ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Trevor, thank you for thinking that the B&W photo is one of my model. I would have succeeded greatly if I could have build this 72nd scale kit into something that looked that good. Fact is, the B&W photo is one of the real vehicle and was the inspiration for my model. 

cheers, Graham

So that's why it looks so real in the picture! 😄

• Like 1