Rolls-Royce Armoured Car 1914 & 1920

9 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

VMS water based acrylic Varnish. The process of applying it is a little daunting as it has to be put on in quite a heavy wet coat

Thats looking fantastic Wayne! The camo is great. I know what you mean about the VMS varnish, you have to really apply a heavy coat. Saying that i find it pretty good. Have had a couple of instances of decal silvering and this varnish has totally got rid of it.

George

14 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

After sleeping on it I decided that I probably have got the colours wrong but life's to short to strip it and start again so I shall live with it.

The next job was how to approach the black lines. I thought the pattern and the shape of the car would make it difficult to use a paint brush and that only leaves the marker pen option. I tried a few different types but the only one that really worked was the Sharpie Ultra Fine Point. 

It really needed a mat surface to work on so I applied some pin washes whilst the model still had the satin finish and then a mat varnish was sprayed on for the lining work.

I haven't made the neatest job of the lining but neither is it on the original car although I will tidy it up a few areas.

nlufmw2l.jpg?1

The Sharpie dries with a patchy shiny effect and needs a coat of varnish over it.  My preferred lacquer varnish would react with the Sharpie ink and cause bleeding so I decided to try out the VMS water based acrylic Varnish. The process of applying it is a little daunting as it has to be put on in quite a heavy wet coat and I was concerned I might end up with runs or sags but the end result is pretty impressive apart from a couple of areas where it has dried white as can bee seen around a couple of the rivets on the turret in the above photo. I don't think I will change from my normal Mr Hobby clear coats just yet.

I have now added a few more details here and there and finished scratch building the barricade hook mechanism.

ayitxdZl.jpg

It is proving difficult to find clear photos of the back of the cars so I have made a bit off a guess as to what to add. I will keep looking though.

bdl25dml.jpg?1

I may make a few more stowage items but in most pictures these cars aren't carrying much so I think I'm pretty much done with the assembly and painting processes.

tQ3xahSh.jpg

The cars were clad with a mineral substance called Uralite which was supposed to diminish the effect of armour piercing bullets. I know nothing of this substance or how it would affect the paints appearance and it's difficult to tell from the photos so I will need to think about how I am going to approach that and the weathering. These cars operated in some pretty filthy conditions and I would like to replicate that but I always find it a little scary applying heavy weathering. 

Wayne

Now that is an excellent camo scheme. Great work Wayne.👏

• Thanks 1

Your comments about the VMS varnish made my ears gentleman's parts up. I've tried using it a few times and it has always gone wrong, to the point where it fills me with dread more than any other stage in the build. I wonder if I'm just not putting enough on. I'll dig something old out and slather it in the stuff.

• Like 1

On 07/02/2023 at 18:00, Ned said:

Your comments about the VMS varnish made my ears gentleman's parts up. I've tried using it a few times and it has always gone wrong, to the point where it fills me with dread more than any other stage in the build. I wonder if I'm just not putting enough on. I'll dig something old out and slather it in the stuff.

I have no idea why the word I used has been replaced with "gentleman's parts"!

No wonder nobody replied!

• Haha 3

On 07/02/2023 at 08:24, Geo1966 said:

Thats looking fantastic Wayne! The camo is great. I know what you mean about the VMS varnish, you have to really apply a heavy coat. Saying that i find it pretty good. Have had a couple of instances of decal silvering and this varnish has totally got rid of it.

George

On 07/02/2023 at 13:23, Stef N. said:

Now that is an excellent camo scheme. Great work Wayne.👏

On 07/02/2023 at 18:00, Ned said:

Thanks Guys,

The VMS varnish does seem to give a very good finish. I watched their instruction video before using it just to be sure as I had read of a few people having issues with it. It seems the problems occur if you try to use it like a traditional varnish and build up fine layers.

I used a 0.4 needle and made sure that the whole model was covered in a very wet coat before leaving it to dry. I think the issue I had with the white areas on the turret was because I left my extraction running and the airflow may have forced it to dry too quickly. I went over it again with another coat of varnish before it fully cured and that resolved most of the issue. I'm not sure how well it will work if I only want to varnish selected areas of a model though and putting it on that heavily I would worry about it seeping under masks.

Wayne 

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately time has beaten me in getting the 1914 car completely finished.

There's not much left to do, mostly weathering and some odd bits of stowage. I also want to add some chains to the tyres as seen in most of the period photos, but there is no point in rushing things now.

Here they are side by side, I will put a couple more in the gallery.

FvvqLcph.jpg

Thanks for hosting a very enjoyable group build @Marklo and @Robert Stuart there has been some very impressive model building on display.

Wayne.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, edjbartos said:

That looks fabulous Wayne, they both look stunning. The camo on the second one looks amazing. For once I actually like it without the weathering, well done amazing pair of builds...:clap:

Ed

Although part of me would like to see what weathering Wayne would do, another part loves it as a clean vehicle as the camo is so good.

Well done Wayne, masterful work.👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/02/2023 at 21:42, edjbartos said:

That looks fabulous Wayne, they both look stunning. The camo on the second one looks amazing. For once I actually like it without the weathering, well done amazing pair of builds...:clap:

Ed

On 19/02/2023 at 23:29, Robert Stuart said:

Those do look good Wayne, and, I think you have both in the gallery?
I'd be interested to see any changes you make, if any.

On 20/02/2023 at 06:45, Stef N. said:

Although part of me would like to see what weathering Wayne would do, another part loves it as a clean vehicle as the camo is so good.

Well done Wayne, masterful work.👏

Thanks very much guys.

I'm not so sure it looks right without some weathering. These cars operated in some filthy conditions and I would like to try and portray that. I'm also contemplating building a diorama for it but it will be some time before that happens.

Wayne.

• Like 2